Traveling with bikes - advice needed

treble

Likes Dirt
So, I'm off traveling in a couple of months and I'm taking my bike along for a good portion of the trip. I was hoping some of the well traveled might be able to give me some advice.

First off, has anyone ever had any quarantine issues bringing a bike in and out of country? I’ve traveled with snowboards a fair bit and never had any issues, but I would imagine the risk is greater with sporting gear used on dirt. Obviously I'll pull it apart and give it all a good clean before packing it in the bike bag. But has anyone ever been stopped and checked?

Also, regarding travel insurance, or just insurance in general really. I’m guessing a lot of people do what I've done, bought a complete bike with lower spec and updated components over time. Resulting in a bike that is worth far more, at least in terms of cost to replace, than the receipt from the original bike purchase would reflect. Should I have all my wiggle and CRC invoices filed away somewhere along with the receipt for my bike in case the worst happens and I need to make a claim?

If anyone has any other top tips for traveling with a bike, I'd love to hear them

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I have a little advice for the insurance side of things. Insure the bike through your house and contents, new for old. From what I have seen with other insurance options this is the best way to guarantee that if you are the victim of misadventure you are covered. Keep receipts and some pcs of the bike and everything should be sweet. A lot of house and contents insurers provide some form of cover while overseas in some countries for some period of time etc. cirle cirle square circle...there is no straight answer on that last bit.

I use Cyclecover - Bicycle + Home and Contents Insurance. Covers you for upto 100 days overseas. If you are going for longer than 100 days then they have travel insurance too. Some of the bicycle only insurers wanted more for each of my bikes than for all my house contents alone. It was going to effectively triple my premium.

urallwrong

Likes Dirt
When I moved here from Canada, customs was pretty pissed about the few specs of mud under my saddle and shoes and promptly took them for a scrub(they did NOT see my humor when I thanked them for the wash).

My tyres were polished and looked as new.

Both countries had me open the box for inspection which is something to consider when booking connecting flights(missed 1) as well as the fact that oversize goods pickup is another step(you're probably used to that with the board).

co2 cartridges were permitted but some countries have quantity limitations.

As far as insurance goes, when working at a LBS, we'd give appraisals on "as is" bike value for insurers all the time. Takes minutes and gives a realistic value in current market dollars. Besides, who wants the insurance crooks(company) to save the same money you did when sourcing parts from CRC?

Last edited:

Bamm

Likes Bikes
It’s probably a good thing, Our customs here in OZ are very strict. On both occasions on the return trips from Europe I have had to open my bike bag and they just check for any mud or soil present. As long as everything is clean (as well as the bottom of your bike shoes) you will be fine. Otherwise they will quarantine your bike and charge you a hefty cleaning bill.
Before you leave your destination, go to a bike shop with a six pack and ask if you can use their washing bay. No doubt you will enjoy one of those six beers with them. Alternatively load your bike in the shower in your motel room and get familiar with it. Re insurance, yes check with your home and contents insurance and also when you book your travel insurance you can raise the amount for lost or damaged luggage.

treble

Likes Dirt
Interesting, I had a feeling customs might want to look at it. Ive got an EVOC bag, so opening it up for them shouldn't be an issue. I was planning to pull it all the way apart for a solid service/clean before we left. ill just have to make sure I do the same on the way back.

My bikes are currently specified on my home contents insurance. However, we are going away for the year and ending our lease. So I will be cancelling the policy as we won't have a home to insure while we are away. Ill have to rely on our travel insurance to cover any bike issues.

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
Just be aware a lot of travel insurers don't want to touch mountain bikes and the ones who do might only want to offer you second hand value. As said, customs will want to have a look at the bike. You don't need to go overboard with cleaning it, it just needs to be free from dust, mud, debris etc...

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My bike has been through 4 countries in the last year and I have an Evoc bag too.

The bag is great at protecting your bike & have had no issues once it gets to the airport. Getting it to & from the airport is a hassle. The Evoc bag will not fit in the boot of any normal taxi I have come across, it will only fit across the back seat. Keep this in mind if you are traveling with a group or family.

As others have mentioned, when returning to Aus your bike must be spotless. You will need to sign a declaration on the disembarkation card upon entering Aus that you are not bringing any dirt/ soil with you. Australia is the only place I have experienced this. Customs will almost certainly check your bike/ helmet/ hydration pack/ shoes thoroughly.

Can't help with bike specific insurance as mine is covered under contents, but I will just say that you would be amazed how many bikes get around on planes these days, they are full of bike bags & boxes, it is very common. It's the new golf, as a baggage guy commented once.

Good luck with the travels.

T-Rex

Template denier
For travel insurance on the bike, +1 for Poodle's comment re putting it on your home contents policy. NRMA calls it portable goods, and covers it in Aus and NZ at no extra cost. Dedicated bike travel insurance is expensive, unfortunately I paid for some going over to NZ last year, only to subsequently find out it was covered anyway. That's worthy of a post on the Fuckwit thread.

At the risk of stating the obvious, make sure you declare the bike and your shoes on your arrival card.

You want your bike spotlessly clean. I think I didn't attract much attention on my NZ trip last year because it was tacked onto a work trip - being a "mature" businessman in a suit has its advantages. They didn't even pull the bike out of the box going into NZ, and in Aus they didn't even open it.

The other tip is to have your shoes fit on top of the bike, or easily accessible, that will be the next thing they want to look at after the bike. And have some tape easily accessible to re-tape the box if you are using one.

Take plenty of cleaning gear with you, and protect the bike from mud as best you can, I put duct tape behind the fork arch and under the steerer tube to keep the crap out of those awkward to clean places, you could do the same under the saddle.

Last edited:

aboutfivebucks

Likes Bikes
travelling with bikes

I use a soft bag as its always easier to get in a small car if needed. The down side is mine has plenty of zips and access points and the TSA pretty much open the whole thing up each time in and out of USA and on domestic US flights (i use zip ties).
some times they dont even close the zippers. lesson - secure everything internally so nothing falls out if the zips are left open.

i insure my bike and myself (for mtb park riding) with medibank. (no racing) its much cheaper for me than cyclecover.
check the fine print or ring the company, some insurers wont cover mtb riding outside OZ/NZ and many don't cover mtb parks.

As for quarantine, i always come back to OZ with a clean bike, they always hunt for my shoes, have the shoes at the top of the bag. Sometimes they will take the shoes away and nuke them (only takes a few minutes)

My best tip - join Qantas club - since I joined I've not had to pay excess baggage - even on connecting (non Qantas) flights I've talked my way out of it.

Enjoy.

billymtb

Likes Dirt
I must have gotten very lucky, came back to Perth from Hong Kong with my bike in a bike bag and got waved through which surprised me. I had washed the bike, but only in a village using their hose, plenty of dirt spots (especially the tyres) but it was the best I could do with just a hose and a sponge, no matter how hard I go at the bike, as soon as the water dries the dirt marks start popping up.

marc.r

Likes Dirt
clean tyres, underside of seat and shoes. they are the places customs is trained to look. if you are responsible looking, forthcoming and pleasant, generally you will have no issues. if you even say "I'll grab my shoes out so you can check them" or something like that they will most likely just take a quick peek and wave you though. you just gotta show them you understand the importance of the whole thing! If you act annoyed about it then be prepared to get everything out!

Demo Eight

Likes Bikes
I've never had my bike or gear inspected by customs, I have been to Canada the last 3 years to ride. I was asked to show them the tyres once, but I had left them behind as they where trashed. I offered to open the bike bag, (EVOC) and my luggage to show them riding gear, shoes and camelback, but they just said no, that's fine.

I did strip the bike down (removed cranks, headset, seat post, basicly anything I could take off)to clean it the first time, but since then I just take off what I need to and wipe everything down with a damp rag/sponge. The shower is a good place for that.

Just don't look like a stoner and be polite when asked anything, they can make you life difficult if they want. Even when checking in, smile and be as helpful as possible, have all your documents ready. It does go a long way when you're trying to get out of excess baggage costs.

As Fivebucks said, join a frequent flier program, Ive only had to pay excess baggage once, in Vancouver $50 flying with Air Canada, the rest of the time I've managed to get out of paying.

All of my bikes are covered by our home and contents insurance - portable items, all 5 bikes.

dukemasterpro

Likes Dirt
Try real insurance they have a policy that covers loss or damage to your bike overseas for a reasonable price ( you take the policy out and cancel it on return ). Just need a bike shop to sign off the value ( you say what it's insured for ) and they confirm no pre-existing damage, some shops ok about doing this some a bit more hesitant so ask around.

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
They didn't check my bikes when I came back from New Zealand. It was as simple telling them I had cleaned it when asked if there was any dirt.

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think the above comments are correct. I have travelled a few times and I think they are trained to profile people. I always am polite and accommodating and always comment how well I have cleaned it. Most times they just have a cursory glance at tyres and you are through.

Had a mate who was with us bit was a bit tired and grumpy and made a smart arse comment. Looked back and he had to unpack everything out onto the counter, took about half an hour :)

Another good tip is to add a stiffner between your fork and rear drop outs to prevent them from damage if something is stacked on them. I just use some plastic conduit which has no weight penalty.