Traveling to NZ with a bike, not sure of costs?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I've used that technique quite a few times with snowboarding gear. Sydney it is a given as oversized stuff is to be deposited at another counter. Coming home though, a few airports I've been through don't play that.

Brother once boarded a flight wearing many tees and a towel as a result.

maxpowers

Likes Bikes
Hi guys,

I know this isn't about taking your bike with you but does anyone know what the cost would be to hire a bike in NZ as opposed to taking your bike with you? I'm heading to NZ in October and was thinking of heading to Rotorua and Queenstown. Has anyone hired a DH bike or AM bike with a tour or from a bike shop and what was the cost?

Cheers,

Dan.

Michae1

Likes Dirt
Flew to NZ last November with AirNZ (group of 7)

With each ticket we had 23kg checked, plus 7kg carry on, some were over a little, but there appeared to use a combined weight as all tickets were booked at same time.

Qantas bike box packed to 23kg. (bike, camelbak, full face helmet, open face helmet, riding shoes, pedal spanner, pump and some other bits and bobs)

Carry on - just clothes, gopro, plus you can take a laptop/camera bag in addition to this.

Both ways they just checked wheels and shoes for dirt, was quick and painless, once we got to front of line it was probably 15-20min to process everyone.

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
I'm flying out tonight. PER to ROT via AKL. I'm going with Virgin flights operated by Air NZ. Emirates wasn't a viable option for me as AUS and NZ flights had to be purchased separately and the total cost was higher. I'm taking a bike box under 23kg and hand luggage with all my clothes that is sitting right on the limit size wise and over on weight (don't tell anyone it's 10.9kg, the limit is 7). I could probably pack it for 7, I've got a billion shirts as I'm going for 4 1/2 months.

I may end up checking a second bag which will be $150 extra to cover all my flights (PER to ROT via AKL, ZQN to MEL and MEL to PER, all on the same ticket).

I'll update you some time after I land,
Wes

UPDATE

I ended up taking the second checked bag $155 (it is cheaper to prebook bags than pay at the airport). My bike box with not much more than a bike came on 23kg (watch out, I think airport scales tend to read heavier). The ended up weighing by carry on (twice, once for each leg) I think because it looked so bulky. I had to repack it at Perth airport, I had weight left in my cabin bag so I had to make a swap there (helmets for shirts) managed to get the bag lighter, they passed me with 7.3kg at Perth and 8.something at Auckland (I'm not sure how my bag got so much heavier, must be more gravity over here) but did warn me to pack it to 7 next time.

I'm yet to unpack but I think the bike survived the journey. I reinforced all the edges and hand holds with gaffers which I think really helped. I also packed the rotors separately in cloth and foam and then packed in cardboard before being dropped in the box. Customs opened up the bike to have a look at the tyres over there.

Hopefully my packing isn't so frantic for the way home.

Last edited: