Transition 'Budgie' Smuggler

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
My highlander was 17kg. Pretty porky for a trail bike. maybe yours must have some hidden drillium or your early production frame had a lighter lay up or something.
From memory, did your Deviate have coil boingers and thicker casing tyres on it though?

The Tranny frame probably carries a few hundred extra grams, yeah - but at least @Tubbsy you'll know it's built sturdy and should be a good companion for a long time to come. I'm not all that convinced that frame weight is felt all that much either while riding to be honest. Tyre/rim rotational mass, yeah. Wheel/cassette/derailleur weight, effect the suspension - a little bit. But frame weight, meh. That's a good real-world weight for a trail-bike IMO.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
My highlander was 17kg.
I really should get round to weighing the Forbidden (for the lols if nothing else). If it's under 18kg I'll be pretty surprised.
I'm not all that convinced that frame weight is felt all that much either while riding to be honest.
Agreed. I suspect a lot of brands have been quietly solidifying their plastic frames given how much frame weights have gone up recently - helps keep claims down on those lifetime warranties too.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Very nice Tubbsy ! Looks fast :D

My Deviate was 14.5kg, bit more now with 1300g enduro casing tyres.

Jpez

Down on the left!
From memory, did your Deviate have coil boingers and thicker casing tyres on it though?

The Tranny frame probably carries a few hundred extra grams, yeah - but at least @Tubbsy you'll know it's built sturdy and should be a good companion for a long time to come. I'm not all that convinced that frame weight is felt all that much either while riding to be honest. Tyre/rim rotational mass, yeah. Wheel/cassette/derailleur weight, effect the suspension - a little bit. But frame weight, meh. That's a good real-world weight for a trail-bike IMO.
Yeah it did. Still heavier than the GG with the same gear.

Frame weight. I’m not so sure after riding the svelt Scor. I felt a huge difference in that bike to the usual bikes I ride. If it had had better quality lighter components it would have been even more impressive. I was actually shocked how sprightly it rode and was ridiculously fun as a result but still burly enough to deal with chunk. Also seemed less tiring and more able on some of the long technical traverses and climbs I did on it.

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I really should get round to weighing the Forbidden (for the lols if nothing else). If it's under 18kg I'll be pretty surprised.

Agreed. I suspect a lot of brands have been quietly solidifying their plastic frames given how much frame weights have gone up recently - helps keep claims down on those lifetime warranties too.
The Forbidden's are notably porky - my Druid clocked in a 15.9 albeit with coil front and back. Haven't reweighed it with the new bits and pieces but it's still a pretty hefty trail bike.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
smug as.jpg

Had a quick early morning blat before the XTR-munching rains arrive.

First impressions are pretty damn good actually. Geo feels nearly spot on, set up was good (over compensated with a tad too much pressure this time, so felt pretty 'sporty'). Certainly lets you know about it through the chunkier sections compared to the Highlander.

Feels agile and poppy, basically all the things I wanted out of this bike.

I think we're going to get along just fine.

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
View attachment 404709

First impressions are pretty damn good actually. Geo feels nearly spot on, set up was good (over compensated with a tad too much pressure this time, so felt pretty 'sporty'). Certainly lets you know about it through the chunkier sections compared to the Highlander.

This is getting difficult reading your posts. Supersports has this frame in my size. ...and I just receive a bit of compensation for a stolen bike.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
View attachment 404709

Good to hear. Glad I'm not the only one!

Great little bike.

This is getting difficult reading your posts. Supersports has this frame in my size. ...and I just receive a bit of compensation for a stolen bike.
Do i...

Never mind. See @shiny 's post