Trance pivot bearing problem

hakka

Likes Dirt
I'm having trouble getting some pivot bearings for a 2015 Trance. The bearings are in the upper part of the rear triangle, where it attaches to the rocker arms. They are labelled 6900v-rs, they are a non standard 6900 bearing, the outer race extends 3mm on one side and has a 1mm x 1mm flange on the end so it sits at the right depth in the bore.

The LBS ordered a bearing kit to suit my bike but these weren't included. Whoever they're talking to at Giant doesn't seem to know whats going on.

I've also been in contact with DIYMTB to see if there's an Enduro bearing that will work, but they haven't seen one like this or heard anything about it. They are still chasing it up to see if they have anything suitable.

Today at the LBS I was looking at the Trances on the floor (2015 and 2016) and they all have a slightly different setup, on mine the outer race of the bearing and a little bit of the bearing seal is visible around the bolt head (see 1st pic). The Trances in the shop have a different bolt with a larger head, none of the bearing is visible. I'm wondering if its just a different bolt or if maybe there's a different bearing setup underneath the bolt head.

Just wondering if any Trance owners have had any experience with these bearings, and if you have the larger bolts do you know if the bearing and rocker are the same setup as mine?

Attachments

hakka

Likes Dirt
Why not just press a 6900 in to the same depth?
Thought about that, it's an option if I can't get the right bearings but I'd rather do it properly. There's a possibility it could move when the frame flexes, without the flange it could potentially pop out the other side. If Giant are selling bikes with this bearing in it they should be able to supply it as a spare part.

It's strange that I can't find any reference to this bearing anywhere, surely i can't be the first person to wear out bearings on a 2015 trance??

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
without the flange it could potentially pop out the other side.
Theoretically yes. You'd have to flex the whole rocker so much though that you'd already be in a whole bunch of trouble. You could perhaps press in 6900 bearings and use the larger 2015/16 bolts if you could source them more easily (or put rusty washers from an old farm under your existing bolts).

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
I'm no help. Just received the bearing kit for my 2015 Anthem from DIYMTB via the LBS given that the stock bearings in Giant pivots are mostly rubbish...but that one takes the cake.

I'd have thought it'd be a needle or roller bearing but that actually looks like a ball bearing.

NSK lists some deep groove ball bearings in that format on pages marked B40/B41 in this document http://www.jp.nsk.com/app01/en/ctrg/index.cgi?gr=dn&pno=NSK_CAT_E1102m_B4-45

hakka

Likes Dirt
Nothing suitable from NSK unfortunately.

The LBS have ordered the only other bearing kit listed in the Giant catalog, not sure exactly whats in the kit though until it arrives.

I heard back from DIYMTB, Enduro are in the process of making this bearing but don't have an ETA. At leat someone knows what parts are in Giant's bikes.

Warp

Likes Dirt
Mine is from the non-visible bearing type. I need to remove the bolt to see what's under. But mine is a normal 2014 Trance 2.

Is yours an Advanced one? It should not make a difference... or does it?

hakka

Likes Dirt
Mine is from the non-visible bearing type. I need to remove the bolt to see what's under. But mine is a normal 2014 Trance 2.

Is yours an Advanced one? It should not make a difference... or does it?
Advanced shouldn't make any difference as all models have the alum rear triangle. I don't think you'll have any problems with a 2014, the enduro trance 27.5 kit is made up of all standard bearings and was made for that bike.

gc49

Likes Bikes
when you started having trouble, did you consider dropping into CBC bearings or equivalent with the old ones to get replacements? would be a LOT easier at a proper bearing place (might or might not even be cheaper).

I get any bearings I need from them for my bike or motorsport hobbies. easier to find what's needed sometimes and often have in stock instead of having to order.

hakka

Likes Dirt
when you started having trouble, did you consider dropping into CBC bearings or equivalent with the old ones to get replacements? would be a LOT easier at a proper bearing place (might or might not even be cheaper).

I get any bearings I need from them for my bike or motorsport hobbies. easier to find what's needed sometimes and often have in stock instead of having to order.
Yep, tried that. The closest one they could find had the flange but not the extended race, so the bolt wouldn't thread in the whole way. It's a special bolt so finding a longer one isn't an option.

r.ayres1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sorry if it's a silly question, but did you have play/movement in the bearings and needed to replace them (or was there another issue)? How many klms (or months) before this happened? Cheers for any info.. :ear:

hakka

Likes Dirt
Sorry if it's a silly question, but did you have play/movement in the bearings and needed to replace them (or was there another issue)? How many klms (or months) before this happened? Cheers for any info.. :ear:
They're starting to get a bit rough, I can keep them going for a while with regular repacking but eventually they will need to be replaced. The bike has done about 2800km.

Warp

Likes Dirt
Here are my Trance 2 2014 (black) and my Anthem SX 2015.

The Trance uses a different design to yours and my Anthem's. The Anthem uses a similar (equal?) bearing.

The Trance uses a washer and the bearing looks like retained with a plastic insert.

Both bolts seem similar and looking at it, it looks like that is all that matters as the bolt only contacts the bearing at the inner race. The rest is to prevent dirt getting to the bearing.

I think you should be ok with either bearing but the original one gives more peace of mind.

Anthem

Trance

Last edited:

hakka

Likes Dirt
Finally got some answers from Giant.

There was a change made during the 2015 model run. Early models have the same setup as mine, later models have a different setup with a different bearing and the larger head on the bolt.

They have the correct bearing kit on the way to the LBS.

bell.cameron

Likes Dirt
Sounding harsh, but find a LBS with some brand knowledge.... I made sure i found someone who knew my bike in and out, pitty that everyone has transfered to different stores now, but for a stage anybody in the place could recognise my bike and understood every issue i had, and would actively help me to fix it. Even to the point where the service techs would show me step by step how to resolve future issues.

In short, blowjobs get you a long way...

hakka

Likes Dirt
Sounding harsh, but find a LBS with some brand knowledge.... I made sure i found someone who knew my bike in and out, pitty that everyone has transfered to different stores now, but for a stage anybody in the place could recognise my bike and understood every issue i had, and would actively help me to fix it. Even to the point where the service techs would show me step by step how to resolve future issues.

In short, blowjobs get you a long way...
It makes it a bit hard when eveyone at Giant (except for one person) is adamant that the part is not from one of their bikes, and the part isn't listed in their spares catalog.

The mechanic at the shop hadn't seen it before, the bikes he'd done had the other setup. They have been working pretty hard to chase up the right part for me.

Warp

Likes Dirt
Finally got some answers from Giant.

There was a change made during the 2015 model run. Early models have the same setup as mine, later models have a different setup with a different bearing and the larger head on the bolt.

Good to know.

Once we are on Giants...
Have you had trouble with your dropouts/mech hanger?
Is yours the one with the single micro-bolt on the drive-side or the new(er) two bolts one?

I already got one stuck bolt and dropouts coming a bit loose (because of fear to tighten more/damage the bolt) on the drive side.
I'm changing to the new type, the old one is really a bit of a hassle with those bolts. They require a 2.5 (or was it a 2mm) allen and it's easy to damage them.