Trails around Wagga or Tumbarumba?

sukebe

Likes Dirt
Im gonna be in Wagga for 4 days followed byTumbarumba for 4 days for work, was thinking to take the bike. Anyone know of some trails I can ride while there? (Im from Melbourne so don't know the area at all)

Baabaa

Squid
Re Wagga, plenty of good rides.
For "soft" but longer rides follow the tracks near the river out and back as far as you want. You wont get lost.
Agree near the golf course is also good.

sukebe

Likes Dirt
thanks for the responses guys! I'll be heading up on Tuesday so will miss the Enduro. The Pomingalarna Park sounds good, as does the Plum Pudding Reserve for a quick squirt after work - may have to take the lights!

scbullit

Likes Dirt
There is also the Hume and Hovell track which runs between Tumut and Tumbarumba. I have done this section but it was quite a few years ago now and I can't quite remember the details. I do remember it was good though...

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
tumbs.jpeg

Mount Tumbarumba is getting a bunch of new trail partially funded by bushfire recovery grants.

Some nice looking terrain there.

Iconic Trails (who did the Stromlo maintenance up until recently) and a couple of other builders are doing the work, idea being they will each bring some of their own flavour to the trails network.

Jabubu

let you google that for me
View attachment 408845

Mount Tumbarumba is getting a bunch of new trail partially funded by bushfire recovery grants.

Some nice looking terrain there.

Iconic Trails (who did the Stromlo maintenance up until recently) and a couple of other builders are doing the work, idea being they will each bring some of their own flavour to the trails network.
Daaaaamn

hpatches

Likes Bikes
Better put my name down for Tumba jobs this spring! Lovely spot but existing trails mostly seem to cater to rail trail crowd

DougalStrachan

Likes Dirt
trails mostly seem to cater to rail trail crowd
The trails in the pines were nice, but defiantly on the easier side. I thought it was pretty impressive what a small town has done with its sanctioned trail and cant help thinking there is some more hanging around not on maps - will definitely be heading back if / when they build these

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
The government grant is for $3.4m and is meant to deliver the following:

This project aims to utilise Tumbarumbas iconic backdrop, Mt Tumbarumba, to build 65km of new trails (5km hiking, 10km of shared hiking/MTB ascending, 50km of descending MTB trail) catering for all skill levels, to create a tourism and community recreation hub, only 2.5km from the main street. The project will enhance the cultural life of the community and create opportunities for social and individual physical exercise, which are integral to address ongoing health impacts from the Bushfires.

Looks like they have ~400m of elevation to play with depending on how high they go. Town is at around 650m elevation and there's an access road to just under 1000m servicing a Telstra tower.

Would be cool if this can be used for shuttles.

Last edited:

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
if / when they build these
They've started, you can follow along here:

Something that's pretty cool is that the community pitched in to buy the land needed to do this.

Last edited: