Trail hardtail frame to suit 140mm fork?

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As per the title. I was looking at a Chameleon or a Cove Handjob, but just read that the current generation of Handjobs are built to suit a 100mm fork.

Anything else I should look at? It will be built with a 140mm Fox Talas fork and triple chainrings for general trail duties.

Damienp

Likes Dirt
Go the Chameleon. Such a versatile frame.

I have been thinking of building one up with a TALAS as well that would see double duty as a trail/ 4X bike. With loads of commuting in there as well.

brutasauras

Likes Dirt
Ragley Blue pig designed to take up to a 150mm fork about 400 bucks from crc i have had mine for a month and love it. If you don`t like cromo they make a mmmbop in alu and also a frame in ti if ya rich same geometry on all three.

Last edited:

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Blue Pig looks the goods, especially like the bolt on cable routing, same as my Stumpy. Would prefer a frame with a 30.9 seatpost, just to keep everything the same between my bikes, but the price of the Blue Pig is pretty bloody good!

Keep the suggestions coming people, very helpful.

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Do the On-Ones have replaceable hangers? Because the Ragley doesn't, and thats a pretty big minus in my books.

brutasauras

Likes Dirt
That was a big plus in my book as derailleur hangers where born out of necessity when using aluminium frames. Cromo and steel frames with intergrated hanger are not an issue as they will bend back into position without snapping off like aluminium. I grew up on cromo frames with intergrated hangers and have never ever seen one broken off i am sure it could happen and if it did you could just get it welded back on. just go and grab a small piece of 6 mm steel plate and try and bend it back and forth to try and snap it. The mmmbop has a replaceable hanger and is also lighter and made from aluminium but would not have the steel feel.

WasabiJim

Likes Bikes
there are 2 schools of thought for derailer hangers on steel frames

i have a 2008 NS Surge. i was looking for a steel frame for trails and commuting but most had really short top tubes and geo for 100mm forks to suit DJing. my brother also got a nurse by germany Solid, steel also and both have good ttube lengths for all day rides.

mine is very light and nimble with a fox float at 140mm. my brothers is pretty burly, has a 36 talas, it is so much fun to ride.

paulr

Squid
Depending on how much you want to spend - Transition TransAM would be worth a look. Horizontal dropouts so SS compatible, has a deraileur hanger for geared as well. Only dislike is the top tube cable routing - they have 2 frame cable holders, but you have 3 cables if you're not running SS.

I just bought a frame off here and built up with a 140mm 454 Pike and it goes alright. You'll soon get into the alum / steel argument with hardtails, I've come from a Norco Manik to the TransAM and can vastly notice the difference on rear end compliance, although the manik is constructed to be a rigid as a light pole, the Cham might have some flex in the chainstays?

I was looking at the same thing - wanted a longer travel HT all day XC/AM bike (also have an GT i-drive 4) and was originally looking at the Chameleon, then after a bit of research got looking at steel.

My 'research list' is pretty much what was already covered here:
Santa Cruz Chameleon
Transition TransAM
On One 456

If you want alum, the SC Cham will be hard to go past.

v1llage1d1ot

Likes Dirt
DMR trailstar? the mk3 is designed for 130mm forks, I have 140mm pikes on my trailstar and it's great. A little heavy, but hey, you'll get fitter, stronger, harder from it!

Doggy

Inconceivable!
Trailstar....Just finished building mine up and have been riding everything on it. Ive got pikes on the front of it and it works a treat. Could be lighter but I built it with budget in mind rather then weight, that and Im fairly hard on it

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for the advice guys; I hadn't thought of the fact that the Ragley is steel and doesn't really need a replaceable hanger.

To be honest, I really don't give a shit what the bike is made from; steel would be nice, but the Chameleon is really at the top of my list at the moment. Just need to find a cheap second hand one somewhere.

Having said that, the Ragley's really are dirt cheap from CRC.

Pitto

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the advice guys; I hadn't thought of the fact that the Ragley is steel and doesn't really need a replaceable hanger.

To be honest, I really don't give a shit what the bike is made from; steel would be nice, but the Chameleon is really at the top of my list at the moment. Just need to find a cheap second hand one somewhere.

Having said that, the Ragley's really are dirt cheap from CRC.
my ragley, just built up with fox talas 36'ers

26815_376033974829_&.jpg

26815_376033984829_&.jpg