Trail attitude.....

Crippler

Likes Dirt
I know this may sound petty, but it kinda annoyed me at the time…

Out riding XC on Saturday at a popular vic area…. Resting after a climb when 3 riders head towards/past me very slowly…

Female. Nice bike (to male 1)
Male 1. What was it?
Female. A Scott Scale 20…
Male. 2. Pfft those things are just absolute rubbish …

This was all within two metres of me…

I think, if you have an opinion that’s great, but why bag out someone’s ride purposefully within earshot?

WFT is that about?? I unfortunately thought we were above the whole ‘Ford Vs Holden’ pissing match mentality….from a K-Mart job to an exotic, does it really matter….

Any way, call me precious if you will, but have you encountered this anywhere???

Fischy

Likes Bikes
Thats not petty on your part at all... It's just common decency (or lack thereof) however I've learnt in recent times that not all people are capable of it! Riding is riding... I know my current sled is an absolute POS, but I don't appreciate people telling me what I already know!!

Hence the famous saying..."Never argue with idiots; they'll only bring you down to their level then beat you with experience!"

Ivan

Eats Squid
yes bike snobbery is rampant.

I have just bought a secondhand AC2 after returning from a long holiday overseas, which required me to sell all my bikes before i left so i could afford the trip. Because i was so low on funds when i returned, I thought I would get something on the cheaper end of the bike scale untill i could afford something better. Now, don't get me wrong, the AC works great (better than expected) and has a pretty good spec list on it, but it's not my "ideal" ride.

I was at the jumps the other day, some guy rocks up on a demo 9 (or possibly an 8) ask's about my bike, i tell him that i bought it a couple of weeks ago, then he tells me " well, the ac is a good bike to get started on" !! Then leaves without hitting up any jumps.

thanks for your contribution mate whoever you are.

I was probably racing downhill while this guy was still in Kindergarten.:D

Ivan

Eats Squid
Crippler said:
Male 1. What was it?
I'd say it was an attempt by him to impress her with his extensive knowledge of mountainbikes, which will obviously result in the removal of her clothes later.

Dirt Devil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ivan said:
I'd say it was an attempt by him to impress her with his extensive knowledge of mountainbikes, which will obviously result in the removal of her clothes later.
Hopefully she just thought he was a wanker for bagging Crippler's ride.

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
You were justified in getting annoyed. Just as it was said earlier, it is simple common decency and consideration for the other person to keep comments like that to themselves.

Why can't people imagine trading places with the person they're doing something negative to? And this applies to EVERYTHING in life!

At Ourimbah, the DH race in April, I'm sure I overheard some spoiled rich brat, who got his $4000+ DH rig bought for him by mommy and daddy, dissing some kid, to his face, about his <$1000 bike he was racing on!

To the "spoiled rich brat", 'cause I'm sure you frequent these forums... I have a LOT more respect for that kid with the sub-$1000 bike, who's racing on it, giving it his all, and pushing his limits (and he probably paid for most/all of it himself), than a little shit like you who's riding your parents credit card. You are less than dirt.:mad:

G-Man

Likes Dirt
Techno Destructo said:
You were justified in getting annoyed. Just as it was said earlier, it is simple common decency and consideration for the other person to keep comments like that to themselves.

Why can't people imagine trading places with the person they're doing something negative to? And this applies to EVERYTHING in life!

At Ourimbah, the DH race in April, I'm sure I overheard some spoiled rich brat, who got his $4000+ DH rig bought for him by mommy and daddy, dissing some kid, to his face, about his <$1000 bike he was racing on!

To the "spoiled rich brat", 'cause I'm sure you frequent these forums... I have a LOT more respect for that kid with the sub-$1000 bike, who's racing on it, giving it his all, and pushing his limits (and he probably paid for most/all of it himself), than a little shit like you who's riding your parents credit card. You are less than dirt.:mad:

Less than dirt and probably got beat by the $1000 unit ..

love it when that happens ,, shrug it off bro i get alot of it
commuting to and fro to work everyday ..

i'm on a Raceline MTB not shit hot ,, not bad but get constantly
bagged by the Elietist roadies on there $10,000 colonagos and
what not when they see me ,, you can tell the riders from the
talkers they usualy drop off the group at about 40km. and start
to tear up on there high dollar rigs ..

Keep your Scott it's a great unit ,, if it rolls and you are in the
bush your laughing dont worry about the nea-sayrs (SP) eeek
i'm a shocking speller sorry folks ..

Catch yas G-man outy

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Crippler said:
I think, if you have an opinion that’s great, but why bag out someone’s ride purposefully within earshot?

Any way, call me precious if you will, but have you encountered this anywhere???
Without knowing the full context of the situation its hard to really comment, there may be an element of sarcasm involved in the brief conversation - just a thought.

ie if Male 2 is on a 6 year old Avanti equipped with nothing greater than deore then calling a Scale 20 rubbish is on one hand perfectly acceptable as you're slogging up a hill - for all I know the girl could have been whipping his arse for the last 30minutes.

Maybe he didn't mean to speak as loudly as he did, or has owned a scale previously - who knows?

Yes in some cases people should just keep their opinions to themselves but I wouldn't be overly concerned if they didn't like my ride. :)

Martin.au

Likes Dirt
Crippler said:

Out riding XC on Saturday at a popular vic area…. Resting after a climb when 3 riders head towards/past me very slowly…

Male 1. What was it?

This was all within two metres of me…

WFT is that about?? I unfortunately thought we were above the whole ‘Ford Vs Holden’ pissing match mentality….from a K-Mart job to an exotic, does it really matter….

Hell yeah, I ride a Mongoose and a Raceline. I mostly see it in forums though. Not on the trail.

Mo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Scott Scale 20 POS??? that's news

well to me that is just the best the Melbourne crowd gotta give. that is the attitude you get on the trails down here. it's like the elitist roadies have gone to mountain biking to open there mouth and brag.

all i have to say is, keep riding.

Wattsy

Hornsby Cycles
Crippler said:

Male 1. What was it?
Where are you pic's of the bike, post em. Scale's are a friggin nice XC bike.

Speedy

Likes Dirt
Its much the same when your riding a DJ, 4X or street bike, the skill to ride street or pull sweet tricks jumping is far greater than anything alot of roadies can pull out(I know I'm generalising bit). I go for rides around Centenial Park some afternoons and have a few spirnts for my only "training" and go past most of these guys when on the fly but roll along slower than them. BUT having riden road bikes in high school (I rode MTB at the same time) I can say that anyone who isn't sitting on a 40km/h avg on most roads would struggle with a far lower avg with fat MTB tyres....sorry thats my rant of the week.

When someone dishes somebody elses ride its because their insecure about them selves, they have to mentally grow their dicks. But to say it knowing that someone would hear it is just being a pick(have to keep up the theme).

Just beat them up the next climb;)

NCR600

Likes Dirt
MTB is a sport full of haters and label freaks.
It used to be nice and friendly, but something has changed in recent years.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
NCR600 said:
MTB is a sport full of haters and label freaks.
It used to be nice and friendly, but something has changed in recent years.
STP's came out....

( hehe kinda cliche too.. in its own way)

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Sethius said:
STP's came out....

( hehe kinda cliche too.. in its own way)
hahaha the irony in that..... "haters and label freaks" then someone disses STPs... :rolleyes:

ps not targeting you sethius, just found it funny lol

rickazz

Likes Dirt
dont worry i copped a lot of shit i road an apollo they are the shitter brand of raceline. i road it at long gully in november for the first race. god i copped some shit that day but i ended up coming 7th in the un15's so id hate to be them fellas on expensive dh bikes that got beaten by a kid on a apollo with cable discs and judy forks.

just show them how to ride on the corse not with your fists unless they really do deserve it.:p

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
leitch said:
hahaha the irony in that..... "haters and label freaks" then someone disses STPs... :rolleyes:

ps not targeting you sethius, just found it funny lol
yea that was the purpose... aka the cliche bit..

Carlin

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am a reverse bike snob. Don't really care for shiny expensive bikes.

I actually like it when people think my bike is a POS.

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid
haha, bike snobbery? i get fuckin heaps of it..

just cos it looks like a POS.. rigid, SS.. it isnt. for some reason i have the only Hayes HFX-9 that works in the world (apparently) and i can still whip a bunch of dudes asses who rock up to the jumps/skatey on their brand new STPs and norcos and shit.

rider.. not the bike..