Trail/AM 29er alloy frame - On-One Parkwood?

wayne_g

Squid
Hi Folks,
I'm looking at getting back into riding again. I dabbled in racing XC a few years ago but lost interest and sold my bike. Recently I was in NZ and went for a ride on a hire bike in the sticky forest at Wanaka, was so much fun! That's the kind of riding I'd like to do this time around.

So I'm thinking a hardtail 29er (or 27.5?) in alloy, running 120 or 140mm shocks would be the go. But since I've been out of the game for a while I don't really know what's around. I've done some searching and some suggestions that pop up are Kona Honza, Cotic Soul, Ragely, Niner ROS 9, On-One Inbred etc. It seems these are all steel, I would really like an alloy frame to shave off a few grams. I did come across the On-One Parkwood though in both 29 & 27.5. They seem cheap too, on special at £150 & £80 respectively.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FROOPKV2/on-one-parkwood-frame
http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FROOPK27DP/on-one-parkwood-275-frame

What do you guys think about this frame for my needs? Any other recommendations around the same price range? Has anyone bought directly from On-One before?

Thanks.

slowmick

38-39"
i don't think you'll notice the grams between steel and alloy. there will be less than a full water bottle between them. steel is said to ride much nicer but I am too gumby to notice. i have an NS eccentric that i bought from CRC and built up with left over components in the shed.

Do you have a stash of bits to use or do you plan to buy all the goodies online and second hand? the cost of a build up can quite quickly get out of hand as you will most likely nicer components than a bike company. i know the cost of my build up got out of control with all the nice bits.

there are guys on here who have bought from on-one. some good experiences, some not so good. most negative comments seemed to be able the build quality on some frames (i was looking at an on-one late last year).

have fun finding your new bike.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I was pretty keen on the Parkwood at one point since it has nice geometry, but ended up stretching the budget and getting a steel frame. Most owners seem pretty happy with the parkwoods, just note that the paint finish is a bit cheap if thats a concern for you.

If you're headed in the 120-140mm range, I'd personally go steel frame 27.5 such as the Cotic soul or Bfe, On-One 45650b etc. Depends if you're after outright speed or something a bit more playful to determine travel length and dare I say it, wheel size.

For 29ers the Honzo looks awesome, ROS9 and Transition Trans Am for more "premium" options. There is also the Ragley BigWig for something like the Parkwood in steel.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
oh and Banshee Paradox for an alu option which is what you were originally after!

wayne_g

Squid
Thanks for the reply's. Yes I do need to buy everything from scratch, I realise this can blow budgets out but I like the idea of buying the gear I want the first time around. The NS eccentric looks suitable too, not 29 though. It works out the same price to get the NS from CRC or the On-One from UK. The £90 shipping is the only thing putting me off. A college told me about bike24.com yesterday. They have a Dartmoor PRIMAL for about the same price, and only want 40 euro for shipping to Aus.

Juz1970

Likes Bikes
There's a great Niner ROS 9 for sale here at the moment. :)

Hi Folks,
I'm looking at getting back into riding again. I dabbled in racing XC a few years ago but lost interest and sold my bike. Recently I was in NZ and went for a ride on a hire bike in the sticky forest at Wanaka, was so much fun! That's the kind of riding I'd like to do this time around.

So I'm thinking a hardtail 29er (or 27.5?) in alloy, running 120 or 140mm shocks would be the go. But since I've been out of the game for a while I don't really know what's around. I've done some searching and some suggestions that pop up are Kona Honza, Cotic Soul, Ragely, Niner ROS 9, On-One Inbred etc. It seems these are all steel, I would really like an alloy frame to shave off a few grams. I did come across the On-One Parkwood though in both 29 & 27.5. They seem cheap too, on special at £150 & £80 respectively.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FROOPKV2/on-one-parkwood-frame
http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FROOPK27DP/on-one-parkwood-275-frame

What do you guys think about this frame for my needs? Any other recommendations around the same price range? Has anyone bought directly from On-One before?

Thanks.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Thanks for the reply's. Yes I do need to buy everything from scratch, I realise this can blow budgets out but I like the idea of buying the gear I want the first time around. The NS eccentric looks suitable too, not 29 though. It works out the same price to get the NS from CRC or the On-One from UK. The £90 shipping is the only thing putting me off. A college told me about bike24.com yesterday. They have a Dartmoor PRIMAL for about the same price, and only want 40 euro for shipping to Aus.
Eccentric djambo or whatever it's called takes 27.5+ and 29 wheels.

Lurkin

Likes Dirt
Kona Taro = Kona Honzo yet in alloy and lessor components. Might be an idea given its cheaper than the Honzo but still has the short chainstay geo. Probably not easy to find, I've found typically the Honzo is stocked over the Taro.

wayne_g

Squid
Juz, your bike is indeed sweet but out of my price range..

mitchy_ said:
Eccentric djambo or whatever it's called takes 27.5+ and 29 wheels.
Ah, I didn't see the '+' in there. Good to know, thanks.

The Taro also looks good (now Honzo AL). I'll keep an eye out for one of those too. Cheers.