Track - gave it a try - what a blast

carpetrunner

Likes Dirt
Last week a few of us went to Dunk Gray for a "try the track" session - what a hoot!

Those 42 degree wood berms are a little intimidating at first - but as long as you keep the pace on it just happens.

...you just need to remember to keep pedaling.

- carpetrunner

booge

Squid
Whats your ability level with regular riding? I'd like to have a go at track racing, been on an outdoor velodrome on my own....gets boring after 20 minutes!! Did you race on your first go?

joemax

Likes Dirt
RAW Track starts on 20 June

Race All Winter every Friday night at Dunc Gray. Beginners welcome, there is a special novices grade but you do need your own bike and CA licence as they can't do rentals and day licences for racing.

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had a few goes at the then new Midvale Speed Dome in Perth in the early 90's when it was brand spanking new. They had hire track bikes, and I had the use of a customers bike that he kept stored there. We mainly did it for some night time training off the roads in winter. Very steeply banked turns on the 250m track and a slippery surface made it pretty scary to look at but as long as you go at a decent speed it's fine. We were doing a timed exercise "flying 200" in which you hit top speed and try to hold it for the whole 200m or as best you can.
Using the banks to rev out your legs was a thrill on par with surfing, dropping into a decent sized wave. Enter the turn at the outer edge and aim for the bottom of the bank about halfway round the turn, feel the G's as you come out of the turn. You couldn't crash by going too fast, the faster the better.