Tour de Timor 2012

PharLap

Squid
Hi all,

Just a couple of quick questions regarding the event!

My girlfriend is keen to experience a bit of East Timor whilst I race this year. I was wondering if there are dedicated support crews that follow the race? She would be very interested in volunteering to help out. I have checked the website to no avail. I'm sure others have had their better halves tag along but I'm unsure how they would get around between stages and find a bed for the night!

Thanks for any help/direction.

Cheers

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
My girlfriend is keen to experience a bit of East Timor whilst I race this year. I was wondering if there are dedicated support crews that follow the race? She would be very interested in volunteering to help out. I have checked the website to no avail. I'm sure others have had their better halves tag along but I'm unsure how they would get around between stages and find a bed for the night!
I'm not an organiser, but having done timing for all 3 TdTs so far, I think its safe to say that based on previous events:

. partners have been part of the volunteer team before.

. if you are a volunteer, then transport in Timor Leste is provided. Just remember, if she volunteers for the timing crew, that transport might be me driving a 4WD on (and off) Timor Leste roads :mmph:

. accommodation is also provided - but remember that might just be a tent and BYO camping gear, but I suspect you'll have your own tent anyhow.

. depending on the volunteer task, she might be required to depart early in the mornings (before race start), or not get to the finish until after the last rider (but not both).

. it is a fantastic way to experience Timor Leste. You get to see parts you would not see as a tourist. Great people, an emerging Nation, and a fun week or two.

I suggest you email Mel direct about volunteering.