Topping out my Super T's

Harder Nox

Likes Dirt
Hey all..

I appear to be topping out my super t's when they have no contact with the ground. Is this normal?? if not, how can i and what do i adjust to rpevent this??

Rik

logged out
Have a play with it, most likely it's the damper rod pulling down on the top cap, due to a bit of play between the c-clip and the topcap. It'll be a minute amount of play, but enough to make a noticeable clunk.
To fix it, take off the topcap and c-clip, then shim it up with a thin washer or aluminium can or whatever.
It might also be something else, like not running enough preload and the spring having a bit of free movement when unweighted.

vulture

Likes Bikes
hey, i had the same problem a few years ago with my junior t's. My recommendation would be to stop riding until the problem is fixed, the reason being that mine stanchions happened to pull out of the lower legs somehow (after weeks of them topping out). Not really a big deal unless you are going 50km/h down a track. The result was a night in hospital with a broken hand, stitches to my head, smashed helmet and many grazes.

Rik

logged out
The only way the stanchions can pull out on Super T's is if the circlip at the very top of the fork goes missing... or if the damper rod rips itself in half. But yes, the problem should be fixed ASAP, as it could be a sign of pending trouble.