to transport bike or rent?

Chuckles Norris

Likes Dirt
Hi Burners

I just wanted to hear some opinions on whether I should bring my bike or rent as I am traveling to Peru in July.

I'll be flying with Qantas and on a forum search I thought I read that they were good to fly a bike with?

This will be the first time I try and take it on a plane. I read the "how to fly with a downhill bike" thread, and it was definitely appeared easier than I thought it would be.

The gf and I will be staying with her grandparents for most of the time in Lima, so I won't have to worry about leaving the bike in a hotel and getting stolen etc.

If I take it, I was going to get insurance with velosure, or another company, so that it is covered against theft and damages when I travel.

I'll be riding for around 5 full days (out of two and a half weeks), and the cost of renting will be $75 US a day, for a full suspension scott - not sure the model.

I'm just not sure if I should take it and wanted some opinions from people who have traveled with a bike before.

Cheers

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
decisions, decisions...

I have done a few domestic trips and 1x to NZ. I have taken my own bike on these occassions,

BUT...

A trip to Peru, taking my own bike for 2 weeks...Hmm, I would prob hire a bike if they are of reasonable quality... If i was trekking etc, than I could justify taking my own,

When you said you and your GF..taking a bike would seem to your GF, that it is as important as her...if not more...

Hire the bike and enjoy your holiday..

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
I've travelled with mine domestically and it's been pretty straight forward. The biggest inconvenience that would make me re-consider is getting a car that can transport it around at the other end, as well as the box it came in.

Two methods I've tried (because I'm cheap), in both cases I just drop down to the LBS and ask for a cardboard bike box there, always accommodating so far. From there, packed away the bike in the box with riding gear and pay the extra luggage fee (only $20 domestic) to get it where it needs to go. At the other end, I either:

1. Unpack at the airport, chuck the box. Got an X-trail on that trip and 2 bikes with luggage & 2 people fit just fine. No problems. At the end of the trip I just made some trips around to find a new bike box and get the bikes packed up again.
2. Bring an extra piece of luggage with a bike rack in it (in this case, the wife's additional bag :p). Unpack & re-assemble bike at airport, fold up boxes & put in the boot of the hatch we hired. At the end, pack bikes up at home, hire a maxi-taxi & regular taxi (3 bikes & 4 people) & get back to airport.

In the end, it was cheaper the second way & that was the only feasible way we could see to do it with more than 2 people. If you can hire a big car cheaper & only have the 2 of you, that's a pretty simple option, I just found the larger cars were a lot more expensive in Australia and we would've needed 2 anyway, so it ruled that out.

All that said, make sure your wife know's she comes first, that'll make for a happy holiday! If that means forgetting about you're bike & renting something else at a minor expense, so be it!

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I'm with Tasty. For the hassle and cost of insurance and risk of it being damaged or stolen I'd rent. If you were talking about weeks of riding then that's different for sure. But for 5 days at $375 total I'd hire. Plans change and you may find you get to ride less than you planned too.... Been there, done that. My 2c