To iphone mount or not...

MeridaMatt85

Likes Bikes
Hi All

So once again turning to this awesome forum for some advice...

I wouldn't mind taking a couple of vids of a few sections of trail I ride frequently.. just to show some of my non mtb mates what all the fuss is about.

I don't really wanna fork out for a gopro that might be used to 1hr a year, so what are peoples thoughts on something like the quad lock mount (or something similar) for iphone 6 and then mount it up for a ride so I can selectively record when I want to.

I don't ride massive downhill runs, more trails and that kinda stuff (kuitpo or moana cliffs for those South Australians).

cheers in advance...

PS-for those that have helped previously.. my bike now features RS Reba RL's, xt 1x11 all thanks to the advice on here!

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
You need a GoPro. Back in the day when wearable action camera's became a thing I jumped at it and have never wanted to mount a phone on my bike since. Look at it this way; to replace a $300 GoPro is a hell of a lot cheaper than replacing a $1000 Iphone. The picture would be terrible too, the phone would shake like crazy and be total rubbish I'd reckon.
Have a look in the trading section, I'm sure there's a couple of cheap camera's going. It's something you will make a point to use more often and hey, if you plan to ride some more because you have a new camera then thats a win!
For what it's worth: I know a bloke that put his Iphone on a mount to record his rides on a roady. He thought it'd be awesome to roll the mount forward and film his ride. The mount moved while he was going along and he took his left hand off the bars to roll it back up.........................he lost control going at a fair speed and came off second best. His phone was in pieces in the scrub somewhere and didn't work after that. Get a GoPro. ;)

^what he said^ and

Quad lock, love it, solid, no movement, stacked it, survived, no damage.

Phone is insured

But how are you going to call for help ?

Last edited:

Puddleduck

Likes Dirt
You can get cheap action cameras from Kmart/Target for $45-60 if you don't care about all the fancy bells and whistles. I've bought one in the past to try it out and see if I wanted a camera. Pretty basic and the image quality is good enough. Might be an option.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
I don't see how a quad lock will help you, aren't they designed to have phone flat or jusyt a little tilted? cheap action cam will be the go, try gumtree

Ideate

Yeah, you'd only mount your phone to your bike if you were using roammtb.com or something to track your ride (not for video).

Those cheap GoPro copies are pretty good now. You can get one for about $80. Check out OzBargains.. there's always a deal on one of those Xiaomi Yi 4K GoPro clones.

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
I film my son riding one handed. Without mad skillz it would be a little risky.

Have access to a Nikon action cam my parents bought for one holiday. Need tp pull my finger out and order a chest and helmet mount.

dynamitedread

Likes Dirt
Kogan used to do iphone chest mounts in very tough cases. Not to pricey and ok quality film wise. I'm old school and have an iphone 4 but sure they had them for later models.