Timing Systems for Multiple Riders

russthedog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey guys,

Ive found a few posts about DIY timing systems for your own bike, but where do clubs get their timing systems for races from? Im trying to find an affordable one for our club, and havent been able to find anyhting decent on the net.

Can anyone help in how to DIY one of these systems, or know who makes them?

Cheers,

Sam

sammydog

NSWMTB, Hunter MTB Association
You looking for XC, or DH timing?

We use hand held timers with a paper print out. Push the button, it prints out a time and a slot number.

Someone else writes on a big running sheet, each racers number against the slot number.

Put it all into excel later and there are the times.

Our timers can connect to a light beam for DH use as well. the system works well, but results take a little while to collate.

Alternatively you could get a lap top and the appropriate timing program and do it that way.

If you want more details on our timers, let me know.

gibbo4

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Insideline (SA DH club) have an ALGE timing system. Works very well once its set up. Could maybe be a bit expensive for what you're looking for though

russthedog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeah its for DH use, sammydog, i assume i would need to purchase the correct hardware (ie laser systems) for use with the laptop.

we do have a dedicated club laptop already too

camday

Likes Dirt
We have a TAG HEUER system which we use at club level and have used it at the State Series from last year.
It's a great system and was definatly worth the coin for this system. I'm not sure on a price for this, but if interested, I can get you all the details that you will need.

j5ive

Jonny Sprockets Bike Shop
Haha, I'm sure you would be happy.

But how about making an affordable system? Why is timing gear still so ridiculously expensive? You can buy 6 laptops for the price of some of these systems. Obviously there is a volume issue, but there should be a cheaper system by now, even if it means running cable up the track!

oz-freerider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Haha, I'm sure you would be happy.

But how about making an affordable system? Why is timing gear still so ridiculously expensive? You can buy 6 laptops for the price of some of these systems. Obviously there is a volume issue, but there should be a cheaper system by now, even if it means running cable up the track!
most of them you do still run a cable up/down the track, you can get wireless but i wouldnt trust it over a great distance

the tag system was about 7 grand and it's a very old set that still runs of serial ports and the like. the system works great but it could be superseded at any time. the alge was a about the same price but alot more upto date

Last edited:

j5ive

Yeop, ridiculous, I've been trying to find a reasonable solution for 3+ years. We currently use a lappy with this basic software, http://perfect-timing.org/racetimer/index.html

We sync it with a stop watch and have a rider at the top set the riders off from the stopwatch and keeping us updated over two way. Works ok, but there is room for error. The good thing about the software over a stopwatch is that you can assign a rider number, so overtakes or dnfs don't stuff up the timing.

oz-freerider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeh our club use the use the same kind of thing but there was just too much room for human error so we bit the bullit and got the ALGE system, it's been great but running the cable up and down the hill is the biggest pain in the arse ever

j5ive

If your people are switched on there is little error, but its never going to be perfect. Running the cable would suck. ;)

russthedog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
weve basically given up on it - cant use the roadys gear coz its too pricey. were thinking of getting some freelap gear and sharing it around at races. its not the best way of doing it but may work for smaller events..We used to use the stopwatch method as well and found it worked pretty well - had to make sure there was communication between top and bottom though.