Thoughts on this Bike?

onawave

Squid
Hi all,

Firstly sorry, this is not a spam post. Just someone new to the boards looking for some feedback on a bike im thinking about buying.

Anyway, here is the link to the bike. http://bicyclingaustralia.com/classifieds/view/5510/

Does that seem quite high price for the bike? Or is that what I would be expecting to pay for a "boutique" brand.

thanks advance.

Onawave

Last edited:

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
for that kind of money get a new bike, you want the full warranty cover of new and you know you're the only one that's used it or abused it. What are they worth new? Frameset is: $2755 USD.

onawave

Squid
yeah wasnt sure how much the other parts were worth. im pretty new to the whole mtn biking business. actually just had my 1st ride ever in whistler 2 weeks ago, and now im basically hooked. looks like it will be much cheaper for me to use some canadian connections that i have rather than going through all this effort of trying to get a bike here in auz....

appreciate the feedback though so far. keep it coming!

cheers

oaw

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
all you really need is a good frame from OS, then you can buy most parts here or online at CRC. If it's your first bike, I would go for a lower end model (buy a full bike) mainly so you won't feel so bad when you crash it, if you are just starting out you really 'don't' want to be riding a $$$ bike yet. and you can only take full advantage of a big $$ bike when you know how to push the limits. Also you never know you might like DH but a bit of all mountain or XC (depends on tracks, what mates ride) so keep options open.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Guessing at prices (presume new @ RRP)

Frame: Knolly Delirium med raw $3400
Fork: 2010 fox float 36 rlc fit damper $2400 (incl shock) prolly a bit more.
Rear shock: Fox dhx 5.0 air (see above)
Wheels: DT EX 500 rims, Hope pro 2 hubs, dt spokes $600 big guess
Brakes: Avid elixer carbon $400
Cranks: Race face sixC carbon $400 prolly less, no idea
Chain guide: Race Face double $150
Seat post: thompson $120
Stem: Thompson 70mm $120
Shifters: sram X0 $200
Rear mech: X9 $90
Chain/ Cass: Sram 991 $60
Bars: cromag fubar $100
Tyres: Minion front and rear specific 2.5" $110

Stuff he forgot to add in the ad
Seat Clamp = $20
Saddle = $70
Grips = $40
Headset = $40 (cheapo)
Rotors & adapters = $80
Cable housing = $40
Tubes = $30 or stans ... $40 (plus 2x rim strips)

~$8430 parted out ... not sure if the distro brings in a complete ... so lets say $7.5K complete.

Seems to be a bit of a bargain, relatively speaking ... presuming its hardly ridden, he is prolly also expecting a haggle so $6K ... seems to be an OK deal

disclaimer: no idea what knollys are worth

fungusnuts

Likes Dirt
Definitely one of the lighter Deliriums out there...

Frames alone are pushing $3500 w/ the DHX Air and Knolly are too busy getting the Chilcotins out to do another run on the Delirium. So, you're unlikely to get a new one for a while, but they'll be available with the Syntace X12 standard if that's important to you.

onawave

Squid
yeah the Chilcotins look good as well.

i basically got introduced to knolly bikes when i was just in canada. so my preference is swaying that way (only really cause its the brand i have the most affiliation with so far). otherwise im really open to looking at other stuff, it can be pretty daunting trying to figure out where focus your energy cause there is so much stuff available...

im always a bit wary of face to face retailers as they are obvisouly just pushing their own stock.. ie a shop i was in the other day only sold scott stuff. they seem good, but thats all they would talk about. which is fair enough i guess, but i want to keep looking...

thanks for all the replies so far!

very informative stuff....

oaw

{ScarFace}

Likes Dirt
Not sure about the actual value of the parts, but every demo bike i've seen in the the shop has been absolutely shagged. Just beware of what 'hardly ridden' means.

fungusnuts

Likes Dirt
Ad says it's a DT, but it definitely looks like a Delirium to me.

Seems like an OK deal assuming it's not totally thrashed out... again, would be a bargain if you could get it for a bit less.

You're buying the frame after all, everything else you can replace over time. The Delirium is very burly frame... INA bearings, plus this one has a CCDB. I doubt there'd be any issues at all with the frame.

onawave

Squid
Ad says it's a DT, but it definitely looks like a Delirium to me.

Seems like an OK deal assuming it's not totally thrashed out... again, would be a bargain if you could get it for a bit less.

You're buying the frame after all, everything else you can replace over time. The Delirium is very burly frame... INA bearings, plus this one has a CCDB. I doubt there'd be any issues at all with the frame.
Fung: this is the bike im really interested in.

http://bicyclingaustralia.com/classifieds/view/5510/

Cheers,

oaw

*edit* i can also post more pictures if anyone else is keen.

DSC00169.jpgDSC00172.jpgDSC00173.jpg

Last edited: