Thoughts on my new trail bike build

mrx78u

Likes Dirt
Hi Rotorburners,

Just wanted to ask for some input/criticism/harrassment on a new bike i'm thinking of building up, just general trail riding and the odd gravity enduro. Not much mention of these craftworks frames, couple of comments on these forums and the odd photo but not much else, geometry looks like it will be a fun bike to ride though. Also am I crazy to be building a 26" trail bike now?

Frame: Craftworks FRX V3 medium (150mm travel), ano black
Shock: Rock shox monarch
Fork: 150mm Rock shox revelation RCT3 dual position or maybe a 150mm pike (thoughts?)
Wheels: Stan's Arch EX laced to Novatech hubs (I already have these)
Tyres: Specialized purgatory control 2.3 Front/Rear (I already have these too)
Crankets: Deore hollowtech 2 (Already have) until I can afford something better
Stem: Easton Haven 70mm
Bars: Easton haven 711mm
Seatpost: Rock shox reverb
Saddle: Fizik Gobi (Already have)
Seat post clamp: Hope (No QR)
RD: Shimano XT Shadow + medium cage
FD: Yeah right
Shifter: Shimano XT
Cassette: Shimano XT 11-36 (Already have)
Chain: Shimano XT (Already have)
Chain ring: Blackspire narrow-wide 34t
Pedals: Shimano XT trail
Brakes: Avid Elixir 5 (Already have)
Rotors: Shimano XT F:180/R:160

stoo

Likes Dirt
That sounds like an ace jigger, are you crazy to build 26" now? Hell no since you have the wheels already. If you're buying a new fork I suggest you buy them in 27.5.

mrx78u

Likes Dirt
That sounds like an ace jigger, are you crazy to build 26" now? Hell no since you have the wheels already. If you're buying a new fork I suggest you buy them in 27.5.
Thought about getting them in 27.5, seems like a good idea to future proof, It's just the increase in A-C length raising the front a bit, I think it was about 12mm on pikes if I remember right from a discussion on here a few weeks back. Think that's substantial enough to throw out the handling?

stoo

Likes Dirt
Think that's substantial enough to throw out the handling?
I don't know the Crafty geo, but I very much doubt it, I'd say it'll be better for it. My old Heckler was ace with a 170mm fork and also OSBs on the shock ( further slackening HA ). The BB was a touch high though. The new 27.5 Heckler is great with the same big forks, do it.......

mrx78u

Likes Dirt
I don't know the Crafty geo, but I very much doubt it, I'd say it'll be better for it. My old Heckler was ace with a 170mm fork and also OSBs on the shock ( further slackening HA ). The BB was a touch high though. The new 27.5 Heckler is great with the same big forks, do it.......
Just the sort of input I needed. I'll take that one on board and get my forks in 27.5 then.

mrx78u

Likes Dirt
So what do we think 75kg rider, Revos or Pikes? Revos are nice, light and i've been happy with the XXs on my trance, Pikes are obviously tougher, stiffer but slightly heavier and also more expensive.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Brakes: Avid Elixir 5 (Already have)
Rotors: Shimano XT F:180/R:160
Aside from any Avid-bashing, be wary that this caliper/rotor combination isn't great. Avid calipers are a tad deeper than Shimano, and hit the tips of the spider arms unless you jack the caliper up (which then has the pads not nicely aligned on the rotors).

redbruce

Eats Squid
Aside from any Avid-bashing, be wary that this caliper/rotor combination isn't great. Avid calipers are a tad deeper than Shimano, and hit the tips of the spider arms unless you jack the caliper up (which then has the pads not nicely aligned on the rotors).
Is only an issue with the 180 rotor and you fix it by filing a poofteenth of the edge of the caliper where the spider kisses it (literally just a slight beveling of the square edge - only took a couple of light drags of the file).

The combo (Elixer R in my case) works better than with the G3 rotors.

moorey

call me Mia
As stoo said, consider the 27.5". I'm 26" wheels for life....but just got a set of 27.5" pikes for the new build....just in case :behindsofa:
otherwise, looks like a good build. Fix that brake issue with a set of m785's and sell the avids. Sorted.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
26 builds are probably best bang for your buck at the moment. Compared to a 29 your probably looking at about 40% saving.

darkhorsefkn

Likes Bikes
How tall are you? Is 711mm enough for your handlebar requirements?

Maybe consider the havoc bars if you want to keep it in the Easton family, they are 750mm.

XYGTHO

Likes Dirt
Love it mate, thought about the same build!! But they have no frames left and aren't making anymore until the new ones eventually come out which could be any time, but no time soon it seems.

Keen for some pics. I would just go full XT brakes! 26/27.5?? I know some have made it a 27.5 if you contact Craftworks they may advise best way to do this and keep proper geo. Something about shock placement and drilling a hole???
Want pics.

mrx78u

Likes Dirt
How tall are you? Is 711mm enough for your handlebar requirements?

Maybe consider the havoc bars if you want to keep it in the Easton family, they are 750mm.
I've got a pair of 740mm renthal fatbar lites sitting in the cave, not sure the gold will go with the stealth black of the rest of the bike, though i'm not that much of a princess.