This is new and weird (too me)

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
provided that it was shown to be strong enough to be safe - I reckon thats an awesome way to shave a bit of weight off the bike

merc-blue

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I main issue i can see is them turning in a crash. if it pinched the stanchion and had 2 bolts into the crown it would probly be better,

also its a XC/enduro fork so potentially the requirement for strength is less than if it were a DH/FR fork

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd be constantly worrying that one of my bars was crooked, it's bad enough when there's only one :p

af_freeman13

Likes Dirt
it would be good because you could adjust the amount of sweep back on the bars to suit your personal preference which i thought was a great idea

Exie

Likes Dirt
I'm a bit confused about it. If it's an XC/Enduro setup, why would you want a dual crown fork ?

Surely the added weight would offset what you save on the stem ?

In terms of adjustment, I dont know if theres REALLY a big demand in the market for that. It wouldnt add any value for me at least.

If it were designed for DH use, then the strength/rigidity would have to be compromised I think. Not that I DH, but this setup wouldn't fill me with much confidence. Just think of all the dudes snapping "normal" handlebars!

merc-blue

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Dual crown you can get more rigidity with less weight because the fork is supported over the whole length of the steerer not just at a single crown, you can have to light hollowed out crowns and 2 slightly longer but thinner walled stanchions. lighter than 1 beefy as crown and 2 shorter but thicker walled crowns.
quite a few around just no rockshox or fox dual crown XC forks. white brothers do them, some other smaller brands and also from memory specialized had some,
generally there 120-160mm travel not 80mm

Exie

Likes Dirt
Dual crown you can get more rigidity with less weight because the fork is supported over the whole length of the steerer not just at a single crown, you can have to light hollowed out crowns and 2 slightly longer but thinner walled stanchions. lighter than 1 beefy as crown and 2 shorter but thicker walled crowns.
quite a few around just no rockshox or fox dual crown XC forks. white brothers do them, some other smaller brands and also from memory specialized had some,
generally there 120-160mm travel not 80mm
Good info!

Obviously I dont have dual crown forks! But there does seem some overlap with alot of single crown forks now going up to 150mm of travel. This is probably targeted at the AM folks.

af_freeman13

Likes Dirt
this gives me an idea, a complete handlebar/stem/crown setup. all one piece like chunked stems, but the bars are also built in
wouldn't that weigh a fair bit? or could you build a top crown out of titanium (or another light weight but strong material) and bars and stem attached?

asa572

Likes Dirt
also its a XC/enduro fork so potentially the requirement for strength is less than if it were a DH/FR fork
Where does it say it's an XC fork??

Heading reads "2010 German A Xcite DH Fork".

As for the bar mounting, road bikes (motorcycles) have been using this type of setup (clip-ons) for years with no problems so I cant see it being a problem for a mountain bike.

merc-blue

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Where does it say it's an XC fork??

Heading reads "2010 German A Xcite DH Fork".

As for the bar mounting, road bikes (motorcycles) have been using this type of setup (clip-ons) for years with no problems so I cant see it being a problem for a mountain bike.
Because who ever runs that blog didn't do any research or is ignorant about the use of dual crown forks in XC/enduro
http://www.german-a.de/en/xcite.html#
max rotor 185mm
160mm travel
1890 grams
not much of that says DH to me

Clip ons on a motorcycle is a totally different concept, different loads. weight is abit less of an issue, and 99% of the time super narrow so no leverage on the stanchion.

asa572

Likes Dirt
Because who ever runs that blog didn't do any research or is ignorant about the use of dual crown forks in XC/enduro
http://www.german-a.de/en/xcite.html#
max rotor 185mm
160mm travel
1890 grams
not much of that says DH to me

Clip ons on a motorcycle is a totally different concept, different loads. weight is abit less of an issue, and 99% of the time super narrow so no leverage on the stanchion.

I should have looked into it a little more.:eek:

Still believe the clip-ons would be fine.
Even more now that they are designed for XC.:rolleyes: