The "Thank god for that rider" Thread

BlakZ

Likes Dirt
I was cruising around Lysterfield yesterday, fourth time there having been riding seriously about a month now. ~ 30 hours experience.

Series of tree roots on the DH....resistance disappears in pedals....Look down to front rings...."wtf!"....before that thought had finnished I hit another root at the wrong angle and I presume the hanging chain was negatively impacting my rear wheel....Handlebars go to a right angle....and I end up OTB and hit the deck into a spooning position with my GT. I thought the chain coming off was one of those things that only happens to other people.

First real stack, but I was more concerned about the chain situation- because it was a long walk back to the car if I was too inept to get it back on.

Anyways,

Man comes along trail one minute behind me- "Hey mate do you know how to get a chain back on easily?". He stopped, helped me get it back on, checked that my wounds were no serious than the visible grazes (I am pretty good w/ first aid anyway). We shared some stories, made sure my bike was working OK, and he even helpd me adjust my seat which I had been having problems with but left my allen set in the car.
So to the man with the new red anthem, who had a big night the evening before and wanted to get out before the heat - THANKYOU.

Anyone else owe it big to someone on the hill?

cjaty

Likes Dirt
I've had the usual pinch flat at the dh race and a friend of a friend gave me a tube to get me out of trouble,but this fella sounds great.I'd like to think all the mtb riders out there would do the same thing,shows the goodness of the sport and a little help goes a long way.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
I will nominate you :D
even though i dont know you
Rightio then!

I was riding home one day when I caught up to a wiry old man on a tourer with panniers all over it and an Isle of Man flag sailing proudly on his trailer.
I caught up to him and we got chatting as we rode together and he regaled stories from his 36,000kms of adventure riding the globe.
We got about 15kms along and it there was a massive storm rolling in and he asked where the nearest campsite was, which I had no idea of.
So, I said he could kip up in the garage at mine.

The guy was out of food and only had half a jar of jam and some boiled eggs, and hadn't had a hot shower in over a week.
We got home and put a roast dinner on with all the trimmings, let him have a shower, got the spare mattress and bedding for the old codger and set up base in the shed.
Packed him a lunch for the next day of peanut butter sandwiches and some apples and some rations of weetbix, packet carbonara, powdered milk, and a bunch of cadels mountain mix bars and boiled up a bunch more eggs for him.

After dinner (thanks to the missus) we then sat up in the shed all night listening to pink floyd and rebuilt his bike and talked about the world and everything in it.
The thing got a full rebuild, hubs, BB, chain, headset and new screws to replace some rusty ones he had in his controls.
The next morning he was up at 4am ready to hit the frog and toad and I noticed he was about to set off with no socks on. He said that they had all fallen apart so I gave him a new 3 pack of diadoras and a few pairs of explorers (he was off to NZ next mid winter), and off he went with a full belly, some new socks and a freshly serviced bike... and the first night on a proper mattress in over six months.

Keep rollin' Ivan! http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000968430968

willsy01

Eats Squid
Never actually needed help, but anyone passing me while im at the top of a climb doubled over and on the verge of reverse peristalsis has asked if I'm ok.

Edit: I'm nominating Harmonix for a Nobel peace price. That's a top shelf effort.

Last edited:

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Never actually needed help, but anyone passing me while im at the top of a climb doubled over and on the verge of reverse peristalsis has asked if I'm ok.

Edit: I'm nominating Harmonix for a Nobel peace price. That's a top shelf effort.
Cant agree more. Well done Harmonix. I new i nominated you for a good reason :D

strika

Likes Bikes
Rightio then!

I was riding home one day when I caught up to a wiry old man on a tourer with panniers all over it and an Isle of Man flag sailing proudly on his trailer.
I caught up to him and we got chatting as we rode together and he regaled stories from his 36,000kms of adventure riding the globe.
We got about 15kms along and it there was a massive storm rolling in and he asked where the nearest campsite was, which I had no idea of.
So, I said he could kip up in the garage at mine.

The guy was out of food and only had half a jar of jam and some boiled eggs, and hadn't had a hot shower in over a week.
We got home and put a roast dinner on with all the trimmings, let him have a shower, got the spare mattress and bedding for the old codger and set up base in the shed.
Packed him a lunch for the next day of peanut butter sandwiches and some apples and some rations of weetbix, packet carbonara, powdered milk, and a bunch of cadels mountain mix bars and boiled up a bunch more eggs for him.

After dinner (thanks to the missus) we then sat up in the shed all night listening to pink floyd and rebuilt his bike and talked about the world and everything in it.
The thing got a full rebuild, hubs, BB, chain, headset and new screws to replace some rusty ones he had in his controls.
The next morning he was up at 4am ready to hit the frog and toad and I noticed he was about to set off with no socks on. He said that they had all fallen apart so I gave him a new 3 pack of diadoras and a few pairs of explorers (he was off to NZ next mid winter), and off he went with a full belly, some new socks and a freshly serviced bike... and the first night on a proper mattress in over six months.

Keep rollin' Ivan! http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000968430968
Cracking story :) I have done similiar, just in the tin top, not on the bike. It's amazing what an enrichening experience it can be opening yourself up to someone like that. Well did!!!

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
+1

From what I can gather Harmonix lives in Tasmania. I live in Townsville, North Queensland and he helped me out from a few thousand km away.

Think we could all take a leaf out of your book Harmonix

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
+1

From what I can gather Harmonix lives in Tasmania. I live in Townsville, North Queensland and he helped me out from a few thousand km away.

I think he is a bit closer to you these days but anyway, i live in Adelaide and he has helped me out too (from Tassie).

cheers H

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
Thanks to one of the M aladjusted crew. Was out riding and my chain came off, but wedged between the smallest gear at the front and the frame. I was about 20kms from anywhere, and this requires two allens keys the same size to fix without damaging your frame. I only had one of each size. One of the Mal adjusted guys happened to ride past, stopped to help me and left me his allen keys to fix it. He said just return them to Mal's at some stage in the week. Saved me walking for a couple of hours. Seriously appreciated.

niki125

Likes Dirt
About a month ago out riding at Gap Creek went OTB after clipping a tree and landed pretty awkwardly. After rolling around in pain for a few minutes finally got to my feet and realised something was pretty wrong with my shoulder. Couple secs later two blokes coming up the trail saw me in agony, and helped me fashion a sling out of my camel back and get the bike rolling again. I gave them my phone number and they called back a little later to make sure I had got back ok. Turns out it was a fractured collar bone and decent bit of ligament damage so massive thanks to the two mystery guys. No ideal how I would have made it back to the car with out their help.

Shredden

Knows his goats
I let someone use my multitool at an XC race? That oughta learn em' for laughing at me and my massive backpack :D

But seriously, I have never been in a situation where I needed to help someone like that. Normally it is just people email me the day before a DH race asking if I can bring them a chainguide/crankset/wheel/brake/whatever for them to use haha.

cressa

Likes Dirt
Thanks to Kingswood yesterday for supplying me with a spare tube after my 3rd flat in around 4 weeks. Saved me a miserable 4km walk back to the car park. I'm also still running his spare rear mech since i ripped mine in two a couple of weeks back. He's gonna be screwed if I snap my frame.

Norco Maniac

Is back!
nowhere in Harmonix's league, but i've had a fellow clubbie hand me his cruiser after a chain fail in my first moto, and fix mine for me while i was racing. he missed out on three motos that night, a bit of an ask as he was gathering club points to qualify for State Titles and i wasn't.

trail_monkey

Likes Bikes
+1

Wasn't that you driving your ute up a 4wd track at night recently to take a rider to the hospital, and then stay with him until 1am because his mum was out of town?

I'm also grateful for riders who carry spares. Without an anonymous rider throwing me a sodium tab during this years Paluma Push I might still be paralyzed by cramp.

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wasn't that you driving your ute up a 4wd track at night recently to take a rider to the hospital, and then stay with him until 1am because his mum was out of town?
Found out why they call them 4wd tracks that night, 2wd's tend to struggle a little.......:pirate: