The Single Speed Thread

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Swap cogs

Hi SSers

I need a 21 tooth Surly cog (for a geared cassette). If anyone would like to swap I have 20, 19, 18, 17, 16 ones available - get that magic gear you know...........................

Cheers

JD

Mad Hatter

Likes Dirt
Anybody got any updates on the SS Nats in October?
Web site has a date but thats it.
Dates listed put it down for a couple of days. Whats on the agenda (besides practicing for the beer tent)?
I would like to book some accommodation and stuff but would like to know it is going to happen first.
Cheers
MH

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt

I quite like this compared to a DMR SS kit I once had. Not as adjustable for chainline but looks nice, and I find chainline is good anyway.

whats a good ratio for a sasquatch running 16t at the back. what size should i get at the front
32/16 is a pretty common ratio, I used that on an STP I had once. With my current bike I went 34/16 because it's the "magic ratio" for this bike. I don't notice that much difference on a normal ride to town, although been quite a while since I last rode mtb until the current bike.
You might go higher than 34 if you're riding primarily downhill and don't mind pushing up.....or if you're insanely fit and strong I guess!

Trigger02

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I snapped the new cheap chain on my first on it, was a crappy 7 buck clarks chain so i am not fussed.

Would a half link BMX chain be good for a single speed set up?

Cheers :)

Mad Hatter

Likes Dirt
I snapped the new cheap chain on my first on it, was a crappy 7 buck clarks chain so i am not fussed.

Would a half link BMX chain be good for a single speed set up?

Cheers :)
I`m running one on my Karate Monkey without any issues so far.
It`s a bit weighty but you would be hard pressed to break it. Just watch how it is joined.
Cheers
MH

Trigger02

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I`m running one on my Karate Monkey without any issues so far.
It`s a bit weighty but you would be hard pressed to break it. Just watch how it is joined.
Cheers
MH
Hey madhatter, so these chains are hard to re-link? Do you need a special chain breaker or anything?

Thanks Mate :)

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey madhatter, so these chains are hard to re-link? Do you need a special chain breaker or anything?

I guess you're talking about the Clarks SS chain. I did buy one but an using a Clarks 8 speed. However a while ago I brought a new chain breaker tool (broke two I had previously). It was a cheapie but so far it seems stronger and more durable compared to the others I've had! (or maybe I've learned to use them with a bit more care now?).
Anyhow this tool works quite well I find (yes used it on some bmx chains too, a kmc kool chain was the reason one of my tools broke, those chains are pretty tough to break!)...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=7962

A chain breaker is such a useful tool to have.

Mad Hatter

Likes Dirt

The joining link was held together with a very delicate split pin that would start to unwrap itself. LBS replaced with a much sturdier press fit link that has been fine.
The chain is just a BMX half link. Not sure of the brand.
Cheers
MH

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The joining link was held together with a very delicate split pin that would start to unwrap itself. LBS replaced with a much sturdier press fit link that has been fine.
The chain is just a BMX half link. Not sure of the brand.
Cheers
MH

Yes the bmx chains are just tougher to break (with a chain breaker) but they do generally come with special quick links that are designed to be able to taken apart. If the one the LBS gave you is such a thing then you shouldn't really need any special tools. If it's like the rest of the chain and they used a chain tool to put it together then you would need a chain breaker.

In saying all that the quick link that came with my 8speed clarks chain seems really hard to get back apart...it was quicker and easier for me to break the chain with the chain breaker! I've used those split pin type quick links, they seem ok, I quite like the sram quick links (for 9spd chains) though.

stu-2

Likes Dirt
First race

First race on SS this sunday, 4 hrs at 4 springs (near Launceston, Tas). Going to run 33x21 not sure how i will go as this has a rocky track up and over a nice little hill, i have raced here twice before but on an anthem 29er. The rain hasn't stopped here much today so will be very interesting i think plus the trail fairy's have added another hill into the circuit... oh i feel the pain now :)

victor h

Likes Bikes
First race on SS this sunday, -)
Good luck. I did a 12 hour solo last week......changed gearing from 32 - 18 to 32 - 20........MISTAKE. I recon I should have left the gearing I was always used to....the climbing scared me......but I think different gearing to what I was used to was a bigger problem. Any other guys found this?

drew.d

Likes Bikes
new Vitus 29er

So,

after selling up after a big crash a couple of years ago, I'm coming back in. Had some spare cash sitting around and thought I would speculate on this:

photo(1).jpg

I know it definitely has limits, and a lot of stuff will have to be swapped out (starting with the cranks - that's a 42t chain ring, and I think it will only go down to a 39t). Just wanted to post it here and hear some of your thoughts on it.

For how cheap it is, ($360 + shipping), it will be a fun addition to the stable even if it only sees action riding around with the kids.

FYI, Vitus is the Chain Reaction house brand. They've done a good job on presentation, but they bill it as a 'city bike', not an mtb. Perhaps they're right.

stu-2

Likes Dirt
First race done on SS

Well that was a messy affair, 4hrs stopped at 2hrs, the day turned to crap, wind, rain. They called it at the 2hr mark to save the track from being wrecked (prob a good thing, Launceston crew put a lot of work in).
A bit tough for SS (33x20) a lot of fire road i got slaughtered by lack of speed. My thinking was i should able to get a few spots back by the 3hr mark when the mud starts to upset the geared bikes, there was all sorts of mud to contend with like sticky mud, claggy mud, red shitty mud, deep mud and really wet liquid mud so my odds were good to pick a few spots up. Only had to walk a couple of spots mainly to do with mud holding onto wheels.

Drew Peacock

Likes Bikes
My take on it

As I see it, there are 2 Rules to consider.

1) If you blow up your legs pushing a hard gear, then your race is over (only rest will let your legs recover). Your lungs on the over hand recover quickly and let you carry on.

So Rule 1 - Legs V's Lungs - if there is any doubt your legs will be up for it, drop a tooth.

2) Now I have ridden 100k races in 33:18 (on a 29'er) but changed the gearing to 33:20 for The Mont24. You need to consider how much time am I going to benefit via reaching a higher top end speed pushing a big gear versus quicker accelerations, etc of a smaller gear. The Mont has only a few fire trails where you can spin out, but kilometres of single track - a no brainer.

So Rule 2 - It's horses for courses, Speed V's Acceleration V's Climbing - change your gearing to suit the course.

As an aside I have stuck with 33:20 and have learnt to spin quicker.

nismo

Likes Dirt
So,

after selling up after a big crash a couple of years ago, I'm coming back in. Had some spare cash sitting around and thought I would speculate on this:

View attachment 245201

I know it definitely has limits, and a lot of stuff will have to be swapped out (starting with the cranks - that's a 42t chain ring, and I think it will only go down to a 39t). Just wanted to post it here and hear some of your thoughts on it.

For how cheap it is, ($360 + shipping), it will be a fun addition to the stable even if it only sees action riding around with the kids.

FYI, Vitus is the Chain Reaction house brand. They've done a good job on presentation, but they bill it as a 'city bike', not an mtb. Perhaps they're right.
looks good... interesting small frame triangle.. the handlebars make it look a bit like a city cruiser..
if you intend to bash the bike around then maybe its not the right bike, otherwise for cruising @ ~$360 you will have some fun on it for sure