The Single Speed Thread

EzyLee

Likes Dirt
Well I finally got this built up, we had a bit of hassle with getting it sorted with non stans tubeless rim tape. What I have learnt from this build... use stans stuff straight up. I get to take it out to play in the mud in an hour... HURRY UP LUNCH BREAK!!! The chain isn't as tight as it should be, the chain tensioner I had on it was pretty much dead. I will be ordering one of these today: http://www.rennendesigngroup.com/rollenlager.html

FRAME n FORK On-One Inbred + Manitou Minute MRD
WHEELS n RUBBER: DT Swiss X430 with UST Crossmarks
STOP: Hope X2 brakes w/braided hose and floating rotors
GO: Race Face XC Crank w Race Face BB + Shimano SPD's, Surly Cog + Wipperman Chain
COCKPIT: Hope headset, Race Face Syncros stem + bars
LAZYBOY: Selle Italia Flite w/ Race Face Syncros Seatpost, Hope clamp.

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt

nice ride,

here's my on-one 456 in SS mode

32:16 ws the perfect chain length with no messing around with tensioners, woot.456_SS.jpg456_SS.jpg

EzyLee

Likes Dirt
Good to know! Just a quick question with that set up of yours. What happens with that front waterbottle once your forks compress? Is there enough room there?

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Good to know! Just a quick question with that set up of yours. What happens with that front waterbottle once your forks compress? Is there enough room there?
yeah that was setup for a camping trip, it did hit the fork a few times (well a-lot actually)
I'd use the provided bottle mounts.

CP

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thought I'd post a progress pic of my build. Forks are a loaner until I work out whether to run rigid or susp. It's my 'mucking around' bike that I'm trying to keep light but robust.

Attachments

Last edited:

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thought I'd post a progress pic of my build. Forks are a loaner until I work out whether to run rigid or susp. It's my 'mucking around' bike that I'm trying to keep light but robust.
Nice. Should be a light build. Go for a carbon rigid fork. Use your arms, legs and tyres as suspension.

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
Finished this build last night using some parts taken off my other bike (see 29er thread) and my last 26" singlespeed. Haven't ridden it yet, but had the camera out this morning.

Salsa Selma 20", Pro XCR Carbon fork, Easton monkeylite bar, ea70 stem, Stans Arch rims, Hadley SS hub rear, King front, Juicy 7s, Middleburn ISIS cranks with Uno, FSA BB and Bushnell EBB. Truvativ seatpost and the fantastic Charge Spoon saddle. 959 pedals. 9.64kg.

- Joel

Bodin

GMBC
Salsa Selma 20", Pro XCR Carbon fork, Easton monkeylite bar, ea70 stem, Stans Arch rims, Hadley SS hub rear, King front, Juicy 7s, Middleburn ISIS cranks with Uno, FSA BB and Bushnell EBB. Truvativ seatpost and the fantastic Charge Spoon saddle. 959 pedals. 9.64kg.
Noice, very noice. Are you running your tyres tubeless? The first pic makes it look like the front wheel is using a UST valve, so I'm assuming you are.

Anyways - reason I ask is that I have the exact same and was wondering if you've needed to do anything out of the ordinary or whether you have any advice on setting them up? I've sealed my rims with filament & electrical tape, have nailclippered the little rubber irregularities off the beads and am running them with tubes for a while so they get very well acquainted with the rims before I take the leap. Anything else I need to before I break out the Stan's bottle?

Feel free to PM me if you don't want to clog the thread up.

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
Noice, very noice. Are you running your tyres tubeless? The first pic makes it look like the front wheel is using a UST valve, so I'm assuming you are.

Anyways - reason I ask is that I have the exact same and was wondering if you've needed to do anything out of the ordinary or whether you have any advice on setting them up? I've sealed my rims with filament & electrical tape, have nailclippered the little rubber irregularities off the beads and am running them with tubes for a while so they get very well acquainted with the rims before I take the leap. Anything else I need to before I break out the Stan's bottle?

Feel free to PM me if you don't want to clog the thread up.
I'm using a cheap tape. It comes from Bunnings, is made by Norton, found in the paint section, Outdoor masking tape. $4 for 50mtr. I've used it in a few wheelsets now and it's been great. 3 layers does the job - it's quite thin so this doesn't add weight. A bit of sealant and they seal without a compressor. Very happy with them.

in my experience the electrical tape glue isn't resistant enough to the water that comes in through the nipple holes.

- Joel

Bodin

GMBC
in my experience the electrical tape glue isn't resistant enough to the water that comes in through the nipple holes.
Agreed - that's why I put a layer of 3M filament tape down over the spoke holes first. Light, doesn't stretch and lays the perfect base for the electrical tape. Thanks for the heads up on the outdoor masking tape.

Tee Man

Likes Bikes
Angry Dr

So on a completely separate topic, the Angry is coming up. Any suggestions on gearing?

I ran 33:17 (26") at the Dirt Works with no problems. But I hear that there's hella climbing to be done at Mogo and you're likely to be coasting anyway on all the sections where you'd run out of pedals.

32:18?

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So on a completely separate topic, the Angry is coming up. Any suggestions on gearing?

I ran 33:17 (26") at the Dirt Works with no problems. But I hear that there's hella climbing to be done at Mogo and you're likely to be coasting anyway on all the sections where you'd run out of pedals.

32:18?
I ran a 32:18 last year a 32:16 might be a little to small for some of the pinches later in the day
but if you did DW on the 33:17 you should be alright.