The Rules of the Ride

jonot

Likes Dirt
Shamelessly taken from www.dropmachine.com

The worst part about having to write this rant is how stupidly common sense it is.

This is a proposal, of sorts. An offering, if you will.

This is an idea that everyone should be familiar with, and I think, should adopt as common place knowledge.

This is the rules of the Group ride.

A little insight first as to where this is coming from, so that you might better understand why these rules should be as they are.

In Toronto, there is a ride every Wednesday. It’s a massive urban ride, and everybody in the city must know about it. Dozens of riders show up, from every discipline. BMX, trials, DH, huckers, whatever. Doesn’t matter. Long as you ride, then you are welcome.

On this ride, many things happen. There is some spectacular urban riding in Toronto, and the city itself is very condensed, which means most of the good spots are somewhat close. This leads to some really good riders doing some really good stuff.

It also tends to lead to some bad stuff, which is why I think the rules should be introduced.

1)Helmets should be mandatory.
Personally, if you don’t wanna wear one and kill yourself, I am fine with that. Really I am. I watch the surgery channel and hang out on rotten.com, so it would likely amuse me to watch you pop.

But the problem is, if you die, I gotta wait for you for the ambulance. Then I gotta go to the hospital with you. Then I gotta tell the cops what happened. Generally, it ruins my ride. It also tends to get security in the area on alert, as generally the security companies frown on braining yourself on their property. It also leads to very quick security responses the next time we go there to ride, which again, ruins my ride.

2)Be goddam courteous.
This means don’t ride on the sidewalk and use pedestrians as slalom flags. Don’t’ manual up to them and nosebonk their foreheads. Don’t skid to a stop at the lights and watch them all flip out. This leads to bikers getting a bad name, cause then they complain to the police, who rightfully get annoyed at the situation. Problem is, the police can’t tell assholes from responsible riders just by looking at them.

This includes stopping for food, drinks, and even other riders. Don’t be an ass to the taco bell staff; just get your food, say thanks, and leave. Don’t rage if you got snaked on a line, just let the other rider know, and take your turn. That’s it. No yelling, no swearing, no scene. Remember, anything stupid you do reflects on bikers as a whole.

This also applies to hikers/ equestrians on the trail. Say hi. Slow down, and don’t fly past them. It’s all about image, and the impression that you leave.

3)If security asks you to leave, then leave.
Don’t give them shit. They are doing their job. You think they honestly care about you riding your bike on some stupid bank bench? Come on. They have to remove you because their boss says to, or they lose their jobs. That’s that. If they are polite, say “thanks very much, have a good night.” Then go away. That’s it. If they are rude, explain to them that you are just out riding, and will leave without hassle, and there’s no reason to be rude. Slowly, they will begin to differentiate bikers from other groups that make rude comments when told to leave. Slowly, they will lose the hostility towards bikers, and will even begin to cut you a little slack, and perhaps even wait till you have done the one thing you wanted to do before asking you to leave. It’s not necessarily going to be that way, but it’s a possibility.

4)If you aren’t gonna hit it, get lost.
Nothing attracts security faster then a group of 50 riders standing around at night in the downtown business complex in body armor. However, they tend to not notice 2 or 3 guys riding and hitting a jump/ drop/ gap/ whatever. So, if you aren’t gonna hit whatever you are at, get lost. Go stand across the street. You can talk anywhere; you don’t need to be where the stunt is.

5)Last, but I guess not least, is just use your head.
If you think your mom would kick your ass for doing something stupid like you are about to do, don’t do it. If it can have a negative impact on bikers, and negatively affect the already less-then-stellar image mountain bikers have, just don’t do it.

These rules aren’t just to make things all stuff and shitty, its for the good of riding in general. It’s not up to an individual to enforce them either, its up to the group. Its up to whoever is smart enough to realize these rules are for the good of mountain biking in general. Hell, every form of cycling can benefit from it. Skateboarders, Rollerbladers, even urban scooter huckers can benefit from these rules. Really, its just common sense.

Its also unfortunate that its gotta written, but some people out there just don’t get it.

Lets hope this helps..

I really think this is a great document to hold rides by..

jono

Last edited:

jonot

Likes Dirt
cheese said:
Mmm, good article. Even though it really is only common sense.
I agree that it is only common sense, although some people *clearly* need to read this to figure it out sadly :eek:

jono

mtb1611

Seymour
The concept of "common sense" is imo now null and void. I like to refer to it as "uncommon sense", as you're increasingly less likely to find people who possess it as a quality.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Ahh, how I miss the old (well, intermediate old) DM. It was a good piece too.

PS. Fixed your link :)