The Polite Wollongong Thread

nskz

Likes Dirt
Hopefully this Wollongong attitude has changed people but last time i tried to fix up a berm where it WAS needed i got told off. You get told off for anything at keira because people don't appreciate that a berm is only making for more enjoyment for everybody.
I think Keira, well Holy anyway, is a slightly different situation because there was a time when so much poor work going on up there people were getting fed up; you can only cut down so many trees and cut so many straight lines. It got to a point where if anyone was seen doing work up there, questions were asked.

Reubs

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yes, I did the explosives bunker, on a BMX (along with trying to stuff matches into it).Holy Crap! on a BMX! I built that few weeks before a whistler trip and never hit it up "just in case". By the time I got back a month and a half later I was more interested in the new trail some of the boys had built.
Kembla West is a great XC track (and it is legal).
I like to do the single track section at the north end on a hardtail as something different (V10 does seem excessive) agreed, but id parked at the top of the drift and it added more dirt time to my ride, though it is a shame that the shores fell into disrepair. Yeah, most were of a fairly dubiuos consctruction, soft timber.
Which Trig do you actually mean, the one on the southern end that is actually Kembla West through the bush (why would you ride a bike to here) Thats the one. there was a trail all the way out there many years ago, last time i went there it was "half a trail" but it was still worth the ride purely for the view
There once was a trail near the Unitrack known as Donkey's trail (named after the builder) Only ever rode it a few times but it would be interesting to resurect. It came off the fire trail before Uni and finished in the paddock on the opposite side of the hill form the original end of the Unitrack (that steep-assed chute)

caddy

Likes Dirt
Haha Ruebs, me talk shit?? Never haha :p.

But no seriously, good idea for a thread. I've loved many years of living and riding in Wollongong, and only since moving away have I realised how amazing the trails and bike culture is down there. Being literally 5 minutes from 5 or 6 great DH trails was awesome, and now being 40 odd minutes away from them hurts. There are some cool trails up my way now days too but the thing that I find lacking is the Gong DH culture. We all know each other and I loved that you could pretty much rock on up to Keira by yourself and expect to run into some lads to ride with.
Wicked place. Love it.
Rant over, peace out!

Love you Ty! :p

slowmtb

Likes Bikes
Cheers team, if any of you are over here in ChurChur NZ then drop me a PM and I will show you around the Port Hills :)

Really looking forward to hitting up the Gong scene, better start saving the pennies :cool:

DirtJumperHarry

Likes Dirt
It's good a thread like this was started, I'm pretty sure at least a couple admins think we're all a bunch of dumb shits with no manners. Thanks for clearin that up!

The Stinky 1

Likes Dirt
huckes creek crossing

I just went up keira building yesterday and looked down at the bridge at the bottom of hukkers just before the step-up we noticed that one of the supports had rotted and snapped so we walked across it and it totaly fell down. We put some orange tape at the top and the bottom and some logs to stop people going through. We also fixed up the left line and please don't skid in the berms. We also built a little jump after the drop off the log around the corner you should be able to clear it as we built the berm better than it was. We also built the double after it so that it has less kick.

Cheers Hamish.

Last edited:

yeahyeah

Likes Dirt
Will have to say the gong has some of the best trails i have ever ridden!!Awesome Thread too!!

That Bridge just before the step up on keira is sweet wish the jump was bigger though! I got a bit cocky just before the pipe drop washed out and got knocked out haha all good now though.
Keep up the good work trail builders!

Reubs

Likes Bikes and Dirt
We put some orange tape at the top and the bottom and some logs to stop people going through. We also fixed up the left line and please don't skid in the berms. We also built a little jump after the drop off the log around the corner you should be able to clear it as we built the berm better than it was. We also built the double after it so that it has less kick.
Cheers Hamish.
Hamish, thats some awesome work. good job on the tape! The last thing any of us wants is for someone to get hurt. I dont know if i agree with the double needing less kick as i usually have to brake check it anyway, but I am only one person so all good mate! I'll have to fix my flat and get up for a look. Now to peel myself off the couch....

The Stinky 1

Likes Dirt
We went for a few runs today of huckers and seemed to over clearing the double with braking. The only reason it was built so short was because you had to turn after it.With the jump and berm above it you carry so much more speed into it so now we are heading up to move the down ramp back a meter or so. We may also build a few smallish jumps all the straight were the step up step down used to be.

Cheers Hamish.

yeahyeah

Likes Dirt
Fair enough, its still hell fun though cant wait to head down there again.
Might see you guys up there and lend a hand!

Bailey.Roberts

Likes Bikes
what?

i have looked through this forum back to front but i havent found a thing about redsands. I went up there lately and me and my mate were the only up there its like its been abandoned! anyone tell me why it has or any reason to not go up there.

Maurice.

Banned
i have looked through this forum back to front but i havent found a thing about redsands. I went up there lately and me and my mate were the only up there its like its been abandoned! anyone tell me why it has or any reason to not go up there.
People Do go up there, just some people need to work and Redsands might be a bit far for them, also, most of the kids that ride are usually from around Keira and it's a lot easier for them to scab rides off the goldies on sundays at Holy as it would be a hassle to ride to Thirroul :S

A lot of the dirt jumpers ride there too?

Bailey.Roberts

Likes Bikes
good reason i live bout 40min ride from there so its close enough for a ride after school. o think it needs a bit of work but doesnt matter.

Reubs

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i have looked through this forum back to front but i havent found a thing about redsands.
You are more than welcome to talk about it, so long as it is polite!
I have mainly focused on Mt Keira and Mt Kembla as that is where I live and where i grew up and where I ride most of the time. I personally havent ridden at austi for a few years... feel free to add whatever you want about that trail.

Last edited:

Dobbo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think you will find that some of it has to do with summer as well. Things grow a lot faster so the track close in, people have other activties like the beach, sport etc, and a lot of people go away. Less trail faires are out and about, and its bloody hot work doing trail maint in summer.

zanus

Likes Dirt
People Do go up there, just some people need to work and Redsands might be a bit far for them, also, most of the kids that ride are usually from around Keira and it's a lot easier for them to scab rides off the goldies on sundays at Holy as it would be a hassle to ride to Thirroul :S

A lot of the dirt jumpers ride there too?
Not entirely true. A havent seen a single dirt jumper in my last 3 rides there. They may be becoming a threatened species. Might i say, the guys who've been working on the area around the step-up have been doing a marvellous job.