The open ended tyre question...

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
Right, so here goes,

I know this is kind of open ended, but, well, I just wanted to see what people though, and I'm not hugely in the know when it comes to mountain bike tyres.

The question is: What's a good XC tyre for riding in the gap creek area? For those of you not familiar with Gap Creek, it's mostly hard dirt, light rocks and dust, with the occasional mud/slippery wet stuff.

At the moment, I am riding 2.5" front and 2.35" rear Maxxis Minnion's (DH), and can't help but feel this is a little bit of overkill for XC and just making my life difficult. The bike is a hardtail, and I don't mind spending a bit of money on the tire, but nothing to extreme. It barely ever sees bitumen, (maybe 1 km here and there when I ride to the offroad part), and I do like to go fast around the corners.

Was just wondering if there was anything that stood out in the XC category I should be looking at, or whether I should just go with a tyre that says 'XC' on the sticker. Any suggestions?

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Perhaps a Maxxis Larsen, or Crossmark?

Torpedo7 are having discounts on WTB weirwolf's in 2.1's. Why dont you give them a try?

le chat

Likes Dirt
Some semi-slicks could be worth looking at especially if it's mainly hardpack / dust. Side knobs will still give you traction around the corners whilst the semi-slick will give you the speed over the hardpack/dust

Last edited:

Mitch243

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm a gap creek regular, I live 1km away. My tyres are generally whatever is on the bike. My current trail tyres which I find are awesome at Gap Creek are a Maxxis Swampthing rear with an Ignitor front, both 2.35", although the swampthing is very rounded and appears much skinnier. Definatelly not the fastest rolling but I like the Ignitor on the front for some reason (don't know why considering it washes out without warning, is weighty and fairly easy to puncture). The Swampthing is becoming my second favourite tyre after a highroller. Even on the front its pretty darn good.

Otherwise I run Kenda Nevagals (These are cheap, and highly recommended!) or when I'm in between DH rides and can't be bothered changing the tyres I use Arrow Racing Ramped Bites (speak to M.artin, he's over at wooloongabba) and a Maxxis High Roller, both 2.5 60a.

Should mention that I use a bike that is designed for playing, not necissarily specifically going fast at XC (although I can go decently fast) which means they are not the most efficient. I also run 40 PSI front and 50-60 rear, which wears out the tyres quick but stops me pinch flatting, which I have a knack of doing. You'd be able to run less pressure with more grip for sure. I have now gone tubeless so next time I go to gap creek it will be 20psi in the front and 30 in the rear.

Hope that out of all of that you pick up something useful... Also, go and see John at Kenmore Cycles for decently cheap Nevegals, good tyres.

Captain Sensible

Likes Dirt
Why don't you look into some 2.35 High Rollers. They're my favourite for all-round XC, and I like going fast around corners too. I agree that the DHF is a bit overkill for XC, especially in 2.5 inch!

brindog

Likes Dirt
Monorail

You should try the Monorail by Maxxis, its a really fast rolling tyre and it still has a good amount of grip, I'm running them at the moment, and loving them, I like them better than the Ignitors (my last set). Really good for hard pack, rocky and...yeah I can't complain they go alright in the loose stuff also.
Go the Monorail !!!:D

Hellyeah

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd be going Crossmark 2.25 rear, Advantage 2.25 front.
I'll agree with this combo..

Something with good side knobs on the front,
nice quick roller on the back.

I'm using 2.25 Advantage's front and rear atm and am
happy with them for now, surprisingly good in loose shizz

Knopey

Likes Dirt
Previous threads in this vein have settled on a range of suitable tyres as pretty well covered above.

Incidentally, an open-ended tyre is not generally recommended as the air tends to escape out of the end. :eek:

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
Wow, plenty of options...

I think I'll be trying out the crossmark 2.25 rears first of all, provided I can find them. The front tire isn't quite dead yet, so I may keep that a little longer and change that later, it definetly holds anyway.

Thanks for all the advice everyone!