The old SRAM vs. Shimano debate...

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
I've been running Ultegra for the past little while on my TCR, but have recently started servicing a number of bikes running SRAM (Red in particular) and have all of a sudden become fascinated. The whole double-tap system seems intriguing, and while I think it'd take some getting used to, I can imagine there's a reason lots of people rave about it. The shift paddles definitely feel nice, that's for sure. As for the shift performance, I can't really comment - but can anyone else? I'm interested to hear people's thoughts on the system.

The Ultegra groupset i'm running is incredible to be honest...i'd just love to hear some thoughts on what you think is better about SRAM, and what you think is better about Shimano, on the road.

{ScarFace}

Likes Dirt
From a mechanical point of view, SRAM is head and shoulders above Shimano. As far as simplicity of design and construction it's sram all the way. Don't get me started on Campag though :p

As far as shifting performance goes, i prefer the Sram as it feels much more firm and direct. Although I know alot of people who like shimanos light shifting feel.

i'm in the sram boat for sure

scblack

Leucocholic
I run Campagnolo Centaur and love it. The shape of the hoods is WAY WAY better than Shimano.

My preference goes this way: Campagnolo, SRAM, then the other one.....:)

I have SRAM X-0, X-9 on my DH bike too, works perfectly.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
The SRAM stuff is great, and in the case of RED, I think head and shoulders above 7800/6600 etc series Shimano. Red vs. 7900 is a harder call. The hood design is very similar, both have a great, crisp, direct shifting action - the only major difference to the riding experience is the double tap.

Double tap is wierd to get used to at first (having ridden mates' bikes with Red and Force a fair bit), but once you get used to it I'm sure like anything else it would feel natural. One thing I LOVE about the SRAM design is that the shift lever can be pulled back to the bars, meaning you can shift gears with just a crack of the wrist while in the drops, which would be sweet for sprinting.

Realistically I think it's the same as it has been for years with MTBs - both offer great high quality products, both are great to use, and each have their little quirks. I wouldn't swap from 6700 Ultegra to Sram if I was in your position (nor indeed from 7800 in my position), but if I was looking for a new bike, I certainly wouldn't discount SRAM.

I'm about to get a new race bike with the SRAM Red group. Also curious to see how it stacks up. I currently have a trainer with 105 and the race bike has Record on it.

Of those two I prefer the campag over the shimano. The hood/lever shape and the amount gears I can change in one action being the main reasons. Carbon also looks prettier too.
I think the SRAM will be fine. Like leitch said once one gets used to it, it becomes natural. If it's good enough for Contador and Schleck, then it's good enough for me.
Although Schleck did drop his chain...

timedward

Likes Dirt
I'm currently using SRAM Force (2009) after switching from Ultegra 6600. Note It wasn't a voluntary switch. The shifter mechanisms broke in Ultegra and the Force came up cheap second hand. Features of SRAM I like:
  • Internal cable routing
  • Better shaped hoods for my hands ( Ultegra's are huge!).
  • Crisper, more direct shifting. Results in a somewhat 'heavier' shifter feel although I like it. compared to the lack of feel from Ultegra.
  • Much nicer looking.
  • Doubletap means the brake lever doesn't move with gear shifting. Feels much more solid in my hands personally
  • Adjustable brake and gear levers. (Separately)

Goodluck. There is some good stuff on the Force, however I personally probably wouldn't fork out the money unless it was cheap or required. Although given the choice of 6600 Ultegra Vs Force, I'd take the Force. :)

czecharch

Likes Dirt
+1 for the better ergonomics of SRAM and Campag.
For those of us with small hands, trying to grip shimano brake hoods whilst climbing or sprinting out of the saddle is ridiculous. trying to reach the levers from the drops is (was?) a problem as well.

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
It's interesting to hear the amount of praise for SRAM...I never knew it was so popular on the roadies. Although it's not quite on topic, i'm kinda tossing up between a 2011 Cervelo R3 or a 2011 TCR Advanced SL1 - SRAM on the R3 and Dura-Ace on the TCR. Roughly the same price, although the TCR has a better wheelset. Hence the original question. Thanks for the feedback guys.

I've had my new race bike for about 3 weeks now. Used it in anger at the Canberra tour last weekend. For the first ride it took about 10min to program my brain to learn the shifting. After that it was all sweet. Hood shape is almost the same as campag which is a big plus.

Looks good too, "black" edition of Red. If that makes sense...

Markymark188

Likes Dirt
I've currently got XTR on the race MTB and it shifts perfectly and soooo easy to adjust. The SRAM RED I have on my roadie drives me crazy with constantly requiring little tweeks. It's noisier than Shimano but I do like the eronomics (hand feel) of the hood and the shifting ability when sprinting.

I prefer the click of SHIMANO over the clunk of SRAM.. I've heard people like it the other way.. but ....

When buying a new roadie (Next year - pay attention wifey).. DI2 will be the go for me.