The official running thread

0psi

Eats Squid
I wouldn't worry about 'stretching out your stride', focus on turning your legs over quickly.

One thing that inevitably happens when you stride out is you end up landing with your heel out in front of you somewhere which means you are effectively braking with each step. The only time I worry about stretching out the legs is when I'm running intervals which is at about a 2:50 per km pace, anything under 3:30 I just worry about turning the legs over efficiently.

Speaking of efficiently, nothing builds running economy like the long run. I'd vote just going out for a timed run with no set distance, ie: go for an hour long run and don't worry about the distance you cover in that hour. The long run is a staple of any runner and is the one session a week they won't miss. I usually do my long run on time not distance and an hour run is one of my go to sessions. Some weeks I'll cover 18km, last week it was 5.9km courtesy of a bunch of hills over 40% in gradient. I don't know what distance I'm doing when I run so long as it's for my predetermined length of time. That will also save you getting injured as you won't be out chasing down your own times.

[video=youtube;mTMgIViinuQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTMgIViinuQ[/video]

Here's a great video on running form. Keep in mind while it looks like he's striding out a bit he's probably running at about a 2:55 pace whereas the punter in the last bit of the clip would probably be in the vicinity of 4-4:30 minutes per km.

Edit: Don't worry too much about intervals, they are for when you plateau or start racing. As an old coach of mine put it, speed work is the icing on the cake and you have no cake! Go run up some big hills instead, does wonders for form and strength as well as being lower impact.

Last edited:

dolphinman

Likes Dirt
great post. Trying to run at faster than 4:00-4:10 really destroys me. I can only keep it up for a short time. Am going to focus on technique and see what happens.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Ouch. After my run on Tuesday night my legs are smashed. Smashed like they haven't been for years. Yesterday was a struggle to get up, or down or walk. Today is a little better. I'll head out on the bike tomorrow and do another smaller run Sunday or maybe Monday. Probably Tuesday in reality.

0psi

Eats Squid
Ouch. After my run on Tuesday night my legs are smashed. Smashed like they haven't been for years. Yesterday was a struggle to get up, or down or walk. Today is a little better. I'll head out on the bike tomorrow and do another smaller run Sunday or maybe Monday. Probably Tuesday in reality.
0psi approves :thumb:

Best thing I've found for smashed legs is roll them over on a stationary trainer. Even if you don't ever want to train on a trainer buy a cheap shitty one for recovery and jump on it when the legs are hurting. Roll the legs over really gently for 10-15 minutes and then spin away for another 10-15 (little to no resistance but a cadence of 70-80rpm) followed by a few minutes easing the legs back down. Guarantee your legs will feel pretty good the next day.

0psi

Eats Squid
How many km do shoes last?
How long is a piece of string?

The greater majority of 'normal' running shoes these days can be used till they're worn out. In the old days most runners used some sort of blown rubber/foam for the midsole and that would break down long before the outsole or uppers showed signs of wear. Most modern shoes however use some sort of gel or plastic to provide the midsole cushion so you can use them till they start to show outward signs of wear. Most of my Brooks runners have been used till the sole starts getting smooth, often about 2-3000km.

Lighter running shoes can still use blown rubber or eva midsoles but these days most shoes in that category use nubs of rubber rather than a full rubber outsole. Because the midsole is pretty much exposed the 'wear them till they're worn out' rule still applies. Expect about 1000km on average from a lightweight trainer.

Race shoes on the other hand you can get as little as 200km out of.

gregb

Likes Dirt
I can feel it in my knees at around 700km (Mizuno Wave Nexus) and rotate them out at that time.

cressa

Likes Dirt
I only got about 400-500kms out of my Brooks Pure Flows before I started noticing some lower leg pain so replaced them then. Probably could have stayed in them longer but for the relative costs of running gear (compared to bike gear) I'd rather play it safe.. I'm 90kg and they are a bit more of a minimal shoe so that may have contributed to their shorter life.

0psi

Eats Squid
I only got about 400-500kms out of my Brooks Pure Flows before I started noticing some lower leg pain so replaced them then. Probably could have stayed in them longer but for the relative costs of running gear (compared to bike gear) I'd rather play it safe.. I'm 90kg and they are a bit more of a minimal shoe so that may have contributed to their shorter life.
My last pair of Flows lasted me a good 1500 or so km before I stopped using them but I do weigh a 25kg less than you.

cressa

Likes Dirt
My last pair of Flows lasted me a good 1500 or so km before I stopped using them but I do weigh a 25kg less than you.
I mostly noticed that the foam/rubber under the inside balls of my feet had lost it's cushion, the rest were still good. I just got a pair Pure Grits also for off-road and i'm really liking them too. Have you stuck with the Pure range?

0psi

Eats Squid
Have you stuck with the Pure range?
Not using them at the moment. I got a pair of Hoka Stinsons which replaced my Pure Flows as my mileage shoe. I might go back to the Flows depending on how I go with the Hokas.

The Hokas are different that's for sure. I got them to use on long runs as they are pretty kind to your feet and your legs seem to pull up better the next day. Only problem is they are very different to the shoes I like to run in so maybe not the best to train in. I'm trying not to make up my mind till I've worn them out but I dare say I'll go back to the Flows as they are much closer to the type of shoe I race in. Only thing I didn't like about the Flows was they feel a bit crap when you run fast and I usually throw in an effort at the end of all my runs.

Good to hear you like the Grits, I've been considering a pair for a while now. How's the softness in comparison to the Flows? The only thing I was worried about with the Grit is I'd feel too isolated from the ground which I don't like when trail running. I've got a pair of S-Lab Senses at the moment which are phenomenal but I think might be too firm for long trail runs. It's a fine line between being soft enough for long runs but still being able to feel the terrain, plus I'm a picky bastard! :wave:

cressa

Likes Dirt
Good to hear you like the Grits, I've been considering a pair for a while now. How's the softness in comparison to the Flows? The only thing I was worried about with the Grit is I'd feel too isolated from the ground which I don't like when trail running. I've got a pair of S-Lab Senses at the moment which are phenomenal but I think might be too firm for long trail runs. It's a fine line between being soft enough for long runs but still being able to feel the terrain, plus I'm a picky bastard! :wave:
They are definitely not as soft as the flows and I think the sole is about 3-4mm thinner overall while the heel to toe drop remains the same. So there is a very noticeable difference in terrain feel and general control over the Flows in the same situation. The grip is good on all surfaces so far although felt a bit slippery in wet bitumen. Early days though. Only had them on the dirt twice.

Grundos

Likes Dirt
I've recently started getting a little more serious about running, and have been amazed how enjoyable it becomes when you start getting into some bigger (for me, haha) runs. Did my first 10km this week in 51:00; couldn't believe how easy it was compared to doing 5km in 21:41.

I wouldn't worry about 'stretching out your stride', focus on turning your legs over quickly.

[video=youtube;mTMgIViinuQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTMgIViinuQ[/video]

Here's a great video on running form. Keep in mind while it looks like he's striding out a bit he's probably running at about a 2:55 pace whereas the punter in the last bit of the clip would probably be in the vicinity of 4-4:30 minutes per km.
Wow, didn't realise how bad my form was until seeing this. It looks as though his heels don't even touch the ground. Gonna have to make some adjustments methinks.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
What do I look for in shoes? I wouldn't have a clue where to start. At the moment I'm just running on bike paths. I have a pair of basic Adidas runners that I'm using.
I'm a fan of Salomon shoes. I have an old pair of speedcross's. But they are trail running shoes and are very slippery on wet roads.
Where do I start?

0psi

Eats Squid
Where do I start?
Where do you live?

Only real way to do it is to go to a reputable running shop. In Sydney you've got pace athletic and Footpoint both of whom are excellent but most running shops should be able to get you sorted. Worst case scenario is go to Athletes foot who are okay but not up to the standard of a good running shop.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Where do you live?

Only real way to do it is to go to a reputable running shop. In Sydney you've got pace athletic and Footpoint both of whom are excellent but most running shops should be able to get you sorted. Worst case scenario is go to Athletes foot who are okay but not up to the standard of a good running shop.
I live in Melbourne. I knew you were going to say that. That sounds expensive.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
I pretty much don't buy into all the running shoe bullshit. Go into a shop, try on heaps of shoes, and buy the ones that feel the best.

0psi

Eats Squid
I live in Melbourne. I knew you were going to say that. That sounds expensive.
Not really, fitting and gait assessment are usually free when you buy shoes. $200 is a safe budget.

Edit: It's always worth getting the first pair from a local shop to make sure they fit and then getting replacements OS. Running warehouse, Zappos, Eastbay, CRC and Wiggle are all good.

Last edited:

0psi

Eats Squid
I pretty much don't buy into all the running shoe bullshit. Go into a shop, try on heaps of shoes, and buy the ones that feel the best.
That works fine if you know what category of shoe to buy from but if you are completely clueless then it's pretty easy to get it wrong. At least you'll have half an idea what to look for once you get one fitting done. You'll know if you need a neutral, supportive or guidance shoe, whether you have a low medium or high arch and how wide your foot is. Makes it easier to narrow it down when you walk into a shop.

The New Balances I post up earlier are a great example, there's a fair chance they'd feel great standing in a shop but I doubt most people would be able to run more than 2-3km in them.