The Mont24 Hr - 2011, Mt Kowan

Stocko

Cannon Fodder
Its was my 1st 24hr event and I had a ball.

I liked the course and I run on pies and beer :)

Big Ups to the guys at Bike Culture. they put a new rear cassette on for me on fri arvo
and fixed up my brakes between laps for $5. If i lived in the area i would be using them all the time.

I will def be back

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
Not me I wasn't there, I was riding to Newcastle. (There's some very cool riding up there but don't tell anyone)
sshhhhhhh!

But hey everyone come to Paterson in May for the 24hour... if you hated the hills in the Mont you'll love the granny gear grinders in Paterson :p

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I reveled in Sweet Apples.
+1, sweet apples is awesome!
I tucked in there on my 2nd lap behind a group of 4 super fast guys and hung onto the back of them for all I was worth. It was unreal, fastest I've thrown my XC bike through corners ever!

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
White Commencal? Both chain stays snapped? Met you at the Merida tent on the Friday. Glad your weekend got better.

++1

I loved every minute of this years mont:

-saw the same (or another one?) idiot passing move right before transition (why!?)
-course was lovely, particularly from the half-way point onwards
- yeah there were some climbs at the end, but they were just little pinches and you knew you were at the end so who cares?
- I did our teams last lap and i LOVEd that mud - was running small block 8s front and rear so had ZERO grip. Have never drifted sooo much, laughed all the way to the end!:D
- as a team we placed better than we ever have! very happy with result.

What sucked:

My frame snapping before even geting onto the track on Friday!! Fortunately my team mate had a spare, though it was a hardtail - I haven't ridden hardtail in about 10 years... but I still loved it (just couldn't sit down!).

hiredassassin

Likes Dirt
Both chain stays snapped? Met you at the Merida tent on the Friday. Glad your weekend got better.
heh. yep. Thanks! Everything turned out great (apart from the obvious).

I was a little annoyed at the response of those demoing bikes (I AM now in the market for a new bike), but what can you do?

EzyLee

Likes Dirt
Here is the video of the start including the runner at 28 seconds in. I have included it from the first man on the bike to show how much of an advantage they had gained by using a runner to tag the rider.

http://youtu.be/qhm0m4HYuiM

Last edited:

StanTheMan

Likes Dirt
I'd have to agree that "in the spirit of things", its wrong.
but the fact that a runner makes an unfair advantage when picking up the bike.....not sure.
in the vid 2 secs or so after this runner does his thing, someone picks up their bike without even stopping. Very smooth operation.
However it could be argued that if you sprint the 500m you would probably be pretty tired & may not perform all that good.
or perhaps you are running in running shoes. Much more suited to sprinting than Offroad bike shoes with solid soles.

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
heh. yep. Thanks! Everything turned out great (apart from the obvious).

I was a little annoyed at the response of those demoing bikes (I AM now in the market for a new bike), but what can you do?
Have you had a chat to your dealer or Commencal yet? Are they going to come to the party?

frensham

Likes Dirt
We were in a group that consisted of three mens teams of four. One serious, one medium and one there for a laugh. We also had two teams of kids who were having a crack, so with them and the others that floated by our campsite and the people I talked to around the event I think I got to talk to a fairly good cross section of the race populace. Many have already said they won't be back next year if something doesn't change and that my friend would be sad.
Out of almost 3000 riders you had conversations with what? 25 riders? That's less than 1%. How does that represent a good cross section??? I had similar 'connections and conversations' throughout the weekend - old farts, newbies, weekend warriors, super fit wannabees, kids who had never raced before etc. 100% of them said they would be back and what a great course it was. So, based on my 'silly' statistics everyone will return next year. Nothing sad about that.

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
Was your helmet legal to race XC in BTW? I thought they were outlawed for XC because of lack of ventilation? Just askin'
Seems the style police have got off that particular high horse. Mine was somewhat ventilated, not fully enclosed.

That said, in 04 I think it was, a certain EO of a certain Australia-wide MTB association was present and happy to let a guy ride a lap of the MONT course in 36 degree heat wearing jeans, a black t shirt and flanny shirt, a fullface and astride a Giant DH comp. On the basis of that, I call bullshit on truly caring about rider wellbeing due to overheating. (same with the guy who raced a lap in a tyvek suit the same year)

The "skate helmets" rule was never clearly defined or explained, and frankly, given that we're trying to encourage younger riders to participate, any ruling that keeps riders away (such as "you can't ride in this race until you buy a second helmet that we like the look of, irrespective of the fact that yours may have an AS/NZS approval sticker") is exceedingly counterproductive. It acts as a barrier to kids competing.

"Must have an approved bike helmet to blah blah blah standards":
I'm fine with.

"We will make a determination based on unspecified criteria and which we will choose to apply selectively making a mockery of our claimed reasons for doing so":
I have issues with (and always have had, and have said as much to the EO in question, in writing).

They've never done anything to forbid comical additions to helmets that block airflow (beanies, jester hats, foam horns, wigs) or policed any other personal mods (I know a bald guy who has plugged the vents on his helmet so he doesn't get sunburned through them). By this inaction in the light of what are usually very obvious restrictions to ventilation in helmets, I'm sorry, but I just don't buy the claimed reason for the ruling.

I took my helmet in for checking and it was approved. However, FWIW, I did bring a second helmet along in case the style police had issues.

Last edited:

EzyLee

Likes Dirt
Busted! I can't make out the race number though. Can you see it on the original uncompressed file??
Yup, I have noted the race number in this thread.

I'd have to agree that "in the spirit of things", its wrong.
but the fact that a runner makes an unfair advantage when picking up the bike.....not sure.
in the vid 2 secs or so after this runner does his thing, someone picks up their bike without even stopping. Very smooth operation.
However it could be argued that if you sprint the 500m you would probably be pretty tired & may not perform all that good.
or perhaps you are running in running shoes. Much more suited to sprinting than Offroad bike shoes with solid soles.
It is totally unfair, and like mentioned not in the spirit of things. I included the very first rider out in the movie to give you an indication as to how far that team was ahead of every one else. The runner (wearing running shoes) hands over to his team mate who has fresh legs after not running for over a kilometer, who is it to say that the runner was even in the team? In the past these 24 hours have been won and lost within minutes. A good start can set you up for a good advantage over everyone else... and the team in question actually did pretty well. Poor form, thats why I am calling them out.

The rider is Rider 7119 with the team 'The Relaxed Approach'. 11th out of 69 in their category and 88th overall.

Yup, I have noted the race number in this thread.

It is totally unfair, and like mentioned not in the spirit of things. I included the very first rider out in the movie to give you an indication as to how far that team was ahead of every one else. The runner (wearing running shoes) hands over to his team mate who has fresh legs after not running for over a kilometer, who is it to say that the runner was even in the team? In the past these 24 hours have been won and lost within minutes. A good start can set you up for a good advantage over everyone else... and the team in question actually did pretty well. Poor form, thats why I am calling them out.

The rider is Rider 7119 with the team 'The Relaxed Approach'. 11th out of 69 in their category and 88th overall.
It can be argued as to whether or not there was an actual advantage gained, but what cannot be argued is the fact that they did the wrong thing, for better or worse, and if you ask me I'd tell you they should be penalised. If they aren't, next year there will be more teams doing it, and doing it "worse". Boo!

I did the first lap for my team, and ran the first kilometer. When I jumped onto my bike and fired up the Garmin, I was literally at 99% MHR. You can only stay in the red for so long, it takes a lot of glycogen (where's Fenz when you need him?) to work THAT hard so it would definitely make a difference to some degree.

Reminds me of the old saying, "You can't win a race in the first minute but you can lose one".

Loving the irony of their team name too. Maybe that was to put people off the scent?! :p

EzyLee

Likes Dirt
It can be argued as to whether or not there was an actual advantage gained
Okay, Rider 7119 went out and did a 54 minute lap on the back of that runner. Now I am jumping to conclusions here but that runner looked a little older. The results also have the age of the riders, lets say that the runner was the oldest in the team who's average lap time was around the 1 hour 10 mark.

Advantage gained by a good run who knew he didn't have to ride and a pair of fresh legs on the bike for a hot lap? Most definitely.

Case closed.

dhd

Downhill Direct
Out of almost 3000 riders you had conversations with what? 25 riders? That's less than 1%. How does that represent a good cross section??? I had similar 'connections and conversations' throughout the weekend - old farts, newbies, weekend warriors, super fit wannabees, kids who had never raced before etc. 100% of them said they would be back and what a great course it was. So, based on my 'silly' statistics everyone will return next year. Nothing sad about that.
I honestly 100% hope you are right and I am wrong...... and I do really mean that.

Okay, Rider 7119 went out and did a 54 minute lap on the back of that runner. Now I am jumping to conclusions here but that runner looked a little older. The results also have the age of the riders, lets say that the runner was the oldest in the team who's average lap time was around the 1 hour 10 mark.

Advantage gained by a good run who knew he didn't have to ride and a pair of fresh legs on the bike for a hot lap? Most definitely.

Case closed.

lol. I like your work!

morgs

morgs
I honestly 100% hope you are right and I am wrong...... and I do really mean that.
Excellent, now we can all get some sleep. <Bill's old enough to get the quote : p >

I don't doubt the whole thing will be better, it was a first time at the venue, the only way is up surely. I know the boys are serious about getting feedback, so use the opportunity when it comes.

Trouble is, Sweet Apples was a primo bit of trail, and it's at the bottom of the hill.... Every track needs a race, or at least a substantial amount of traffic over it to mature. You can guess at lines when building, but it's hard to replicate race conditions, the great thing about this is that a whole bunch of new area has been opened up and the amount of trail will only increase, as will the quality with luck (and shovels).

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Any incidents? seemed like i saw less ppl crash than ever before...

ps loved the course, cheers
Saw 3 stacks, one where the guy had to get the ambos to strecher him out.
he tried to catch a tree with his back and ribs.
A with a girl on a $300 bike and very little skill, had a big off and whacked her head big-time, but she jumped up straight away, luckily she had an Aussie approved helmet eh?

Another guy who crashed coming into a corner and somehow got away without getting impaled on ripped up tree roots. it was >-< close to death.