QLD The Legalise Steve Jones Thread

scratchy

Farkin Activist
We had 47 pages of people discussing Steve Jones and building illegally and guess what? It got destroyed.
Of those 47 pages bugger all was real discussion about how to make it legal.
So that thread has now been closed. Keep the drivel to a minimum and start building a base for engaging the landowner.

trickle

Likes Dirt
Was steve jones closed?
:p

Sorry guys, been busy at work and havent made one single call re contacts. Will do as soon as I have a minute.

DRIBS

Likes Dirt
We had 47 pages of people discussing Steve Jones and building illegally and guess what? It got destroyed.
Of those 47 pages bugger all was real discussion about how to make it legal.
So that thread has now been closed. Keep the drivel to a minimum and start building a base for engaging the landowner.
Hang on a minute, we all ride, laugh and joke with each other. We definately don't want to become an all consuming militant faction hell bent on creating a monster that the Brisbane City Council will deem to demanding to our needs. I'm sure they scan these websites and are already privey to our discussions. We have friends on this website who we don't see for many weeks, so a few jokes here and there are harmless. Yes, I agree to stay on topic and try to legalise Steve Jones but if we can't also be light hearted, then we are sucking the soul and comoradery out of our sport and in the end isn't thats what its all about. To take that away from us, isn't it like closing Steve Jones all over again?

RYDA

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Doubt anything will happen. Its sad but true. Just don't come to Brisbane if you want to ride something decent and 'legal.'

scratchy

Farkin Activist
The sub-title of this section is "Legal trail building discussion" so keep it about that. A little banter along the way is fine but 47 pages of it without a serious addressing of the process of actually engaging the landowner is monumental face palm stuff.

Talk shit elsewhere, this thread is how to get it together.

RYDA

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm going to be honest as I have had no previous experience with this sort of thing, what is our first port of call?

scratchy

Farkin Activist
First port of call is to set up a mailing list or similar for you guys to communicate with each other. For instance everyone could PM RYDA with their email address. He would add them to a list, that doesn't mean you have to do anything beyond that, if you create a mail group it allows you guys to talk directly to each other which works better than the forum.

Different people have different skills to offer. Ie someone might nominate to ring the council and find out the owner of the land, another offers to read one report and another offers to read another. One is a member of the local club and agrees to talk to them and see what they have to say. We all have skills to offer even if it is just agreeing to email you local council member.

That is how it starts. By you guys getting serious and actually talking to each other.

C.H.B

Likes Dirt
one tip fellas,try and get one of the bikeclubs on side,councils are more likely to recognise an
official club rather than a loosely banded group of individuals who could just disapear at any time.
best of luck with the brissie council they are notorious for screwing over even the very best prepared lobby groups.

RYDA

Likes Bikes and Dirt
With all the work been done at Beaudesert, scheduled to start in Feb this year, how can we loose!

Burrito_Boy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Seems the the northside dirt dogs are still active as the local northside club
http://www.dirtdogsmtb.org/

Alot of the members are local, and quite active in bunya. So that would be the port of call should getting a club onside be needed. By no means a gravity orientated/interested club though, well not since fryshaun bailed his seat as president and went off to canada:p

best of luck with the brissie council they are notorious for screwing over even the very best prepared lobby groups.
Fingers Crossed this falls under pine rivers scope hey, for the BCC are an absolute nightmare to work with... or against

Last edited:

scratchy

Farkin Activist
A club not being DH oriented is normal and here is why:

The club is made up of volunteers. The volunteers do what they are interested in. Look anywhere in Australia and DHers just don't put there hands up to help. Maybe they are more selfish, maybe younger, form your own opinion. The good news is that most clubs would love DHers to become involved, they won't try and turn you into XC guys but rather get you doing what you want to do.

theMerryPrankster

Likes Dirt
Fingers Crossed this falls under pine rivers scope hey, for the BCC are an absolute nightmare to work with... or against
It should do - I believe with the new shire boarders that were drawn up a little while back Pine Rivers becomes BCC around Everton Park.

Don't quote me on that though.

DRIBS

Likes Dirt
I think that we should lobby to keep the original track open for use but I highly doubt that they will allow building again where the new track was. There are underground services, phone for example, that run up where they new track was so if for instance, we came into contact with something, then a whole new problem will arise. Monetry.

trickle

Likes Dirt
Seems the the northside dirt dogs are still active as the local northside club
http://www.dirtdogsmtb.org/

Alot of the members are local, and quite active in bunya. So that would be the port of call should getting a club onside be needed. By no means a gravity orientated/interested club though, well not since fryshaun bailed his seat as president and went off to canada:p

The dirtdogs would be a great assett to have on side, however there is a certain "member" in a "ranking" position at the dirtdogs you need to be careful with... Burrito_boy do you remember the trail care website the member I am refering to started? Just be carfeful.

I think the prankster may be correct but Council isnt the place to start here, if you guys are keen to dig/build or what ever in the vacinity of the Energex easement (ie the original SJ's) then EPA/DERM/Parks should be your first port of call... I guess if you are looking to build on Council land then ignore me.

Further, my roadie club (via Duttons Cycles) currently has a submission on MBRC's table for a multi use cycle precinct around the North Lakes area to include a crit track and also incorporate other disciplines of riding. Get in touch with Shane Durdin and check out his submision :
http://www.duttoncycles.org.au/Reso...ing Precinct Concept Study Report v2 2010.pdf

void

Likes Bikes
The dirtdogs would be a great asset to have on side, however there is a certain "member" in a "ranking" position at the dirtdogs you need to be careful with... Burrito_boy do you remember the trail care website the member I am referring to started? Just be careful.
From "the other forum" it would seems that the "certain member in a ranking position" has tried in the past.

To answer the Trailcare question, there is no trail care group anymore. The group that I help to get started some years ago was disbanded by the DERM rangers. They have no funds for non week day trail care over time for their staff and they are not interested in collaborative consultation. I have been in contact with the ranger in question offering to work collaboratively with DERM, MBRC and the Dirt Dogs (MBRC because they are trying to build a trail corridor between forests BSF and Ironbark) and my emails have been absolutely ignored. the rangers want to go it alone it seems and not involve their US the users.

it also seems that they get someone like Joey Kline here from IMBA and ignore every thing he advocates. one of his edicts is if you take something away (Steve Jones), you should replace it with something (another trail). it stops the circle of illegal trail building.

it also does not surprise me that they are closing Steve Jones. whilst some riders shuttle this trail, BSAC incorporates it into a loop. the prelude to that part of the loop is Hobbits, that is also slated for closing by DERM. DERM basically want to close the majority of the trails in this area of the forest to separate user groups from each other.
it may be worth while to pursue a track over towards Minivan..

void

Likes Bikes
Careful of that one void, he is dangerous. A real loose cannon.
No comment....

just thought I would post up what the stance could be from the Dirt Dogs, however please do not let this deter people form approaching the Dirt Dogs for assistance.

Last edited: