The lacey underwear tour

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
As has become tradition since being self-unemployed we headed off on a few weeks of travelling the nether parts of Q. Along with 18.5 billion southerners fleeing the ravages of covidville.

This time we visited family on a cattle property (apparently 60,000 and 45,000 acres doesn’t add up to a station, just a property) and a few spots along the way up to Chillagoe. We spent about half the time in the camper and the other in cabins or motels with overnighters in the motels.

As there are so many of you foreigners on the roads I figured a good place to start would be our road signs, some of which are unique and cover information you need to know in this part of the state. I am not talking about crocs, you get too close and warnings aren’t much use.

this is pretty obvious, cows are bigger than sheep, except we saw one of these with a circle and line through it so clearly not always.

yes they are long but that doesn’t mean you sit too close behind and refuse to pass to make it harder for anyone else to get past, arse hats.

this one means that the road train you passed an hour ago will be having intimate relations with your vehicle any second now.

this is to trap train spotters into thinking we still use steam locomotives and they will thus sit on the side of the road waiting until they perish, this is a community service.

this indicates that the road is about to become so bad you will damage your suspension.

this is as fast as you will ever get in your Morris.

conversely you aint getting up there.

our cows have developed a taste for Morris cars, mostly those trying to get up hills.

hambo has been here looking for steam locos...

Now that is sorted onto the trip.

A mostly coastal route was selected to go North, this was of course a mistake. Road works around major towns and cities is being stimulated and there are seemingly endless km of roads where you are going to be slowed, stopped and pissed around on.

Places of interest were Finch Hatton gorge near Mackay / Eungella, Chillagoe caves and Porcupine gorge near Hughenden and a revisit to the Australian Age of Dinosaurs near Winton where footprints in a billabong were preserved.

Some stand outs that deserve mention. Had the absolute worst meal I have ever paid for in a place that came highly recommended in Ingham, be warned. Atherton was crazy town. That is all that needs to be said. We had a quick change of plans for accommodation and stayed at Chillagoe Cabins, the cabins and the owners were awesome.

Quite a few towns, particularly those on the fringe of the outback are doing their best to cater for the grey gonads and their caravans but some just don’t get it.

Anyway onto the pics: note with over 1,000 photos to look through this will take a while

Attachments

Last edited:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Weather was quite ordinary for the first week along the coast. So much so that the expected hiking in Eungella NP didn't happen. Eungella means land of the cloud and that was 99% accurate. Visibility when we arrived was about 50m. A trip down the hill to Finch Hatton gorge was the back up and it didn't disappoint. Still very overcast and we had some light rain but worth it. The heroes hiking in to swim in the gorge were just plain odd though.
bit of blue

lots of green

and the wet stuffs

Last edited:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
A few shots from the cattle property. If you want to have a morality vent about farming cattle please do so elsewhere... I wont post any pics of the operations of the property for various reasons so just a few shots of the area.

The property is probably fairly average in size for the area. It runs all the way to the foothills of a mountain range and because of that mustering is done with a combination of local helicopter, horses and motorbikes and quads. Property is set up with a number of paddocks which are roughly 1,000 acres in size. Stock is managed around the place to minimise the impact on the grasses. Not that I know much about it but the animals and property look very well cared for. Stock was walked very carefully around and not allowed to go running off due to the risk of injury, a first time for me to see that. A few hundred vegans were left foraging around the house and it was common to have a close encounter any time of day since we camped outside the fenced off living area.

The family has lived on the property for a couple of generations and relocated the main house to where it is now. The house has been added to and changed over the years with a large kitchen to cater for any singles who work there. There is accommodation for families and single quarters and these are all separated in a fenced area of 15 or more acres to allow some privacy and time off when not working together.

There are a few old buildings around the property like this cook house which get used as lunchtime or overnight digs during works. Potable water, cooking facilities and a shower and a toilet.

This river runs through the property and water is accessible all year round but only for about 3 months above the bed. in flood the river runs deep and wide and fast. The original farm house was on the far side of the river and when the river was in flood the family would park their truck or horses on one side of the river and walk or pull a boat on a wire to get to the house side. It is hard to work out why they would put the house that side. The stables and yards are all on the other side as is the main access. Views of the river and mountain are the same as well. Relocating the house was one of the first jobs for the new owners 80 years ago or so.

Day before we left I got a text at 06:00 asking me to grab a drum of avgas from the store and take it out the front in case the mustering helicopter needed a refill. Went and found the tractor with the forks, the fuel and drove the fuel out through a couple of gates and left it ready.
Nothing happened, the helicopter came and did the mustering and then went without refueling. So took it all back in the afternoon.

Next morning packing up the helicopter comes in and lands. The property he was just at didn't have enough fuel, can you go and get it? So a reprise of the previous morning. At this point the guys were mustering on horse back about 5 hours from the house.

We will be going back, so much to see and the mountains beckon.

Last edited:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Chillagoe area is known for its caves which are dry limestone caves except when it rains... There are something like 514 recorded caves in the area with probably many more that are still underground etc. Longest cave is roughly 11km in total length. There are three caves that are accessible by Parks and Wildlife guided tour only and another three that are self guided. Access in the guided tours is easy. The others are by permit only and are much more of a challenge. There is also an abandoned lead, silver, copper and gold smelter.

The caves are all the same type but have different if similar formations.

and this is typical access for a self guided cave

One of the self guided caves is more a covered gorge.

Last edited:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
a few more from Chillagoe. The smelter as foretold in the prophecies and something the locals call the balancing rock or as I prefer geophysical metastability. And the vehicles are from Tom's which you can get hambo to goggle. Tom was a carrier in the region and quite a character, he has an incredible collection of old cars and junk. Including an XW GT in a bubble and more flat head V8s than Ford ever made.

Warning signs to keep out and several surveillance cameras in use. You couldn't pay me to go in there.

this is a section the flue that ran from the smelters up to the stack.

I just knew that Cardy would want this one, quick polish and she is on the road again. Tom agreed to take $55,000 for it so just get in contact and he will organise transport (at your cost).

Last edited:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Last few shots I will post up. Porcupine gorge near Hughenden with the pyramid... and a couple of the relocated dinosaur footprints at the jump up.

Porcupine gorge is lovely and well worth the trek down and up the side of the gorge. You can see how deep and fast it must run in a flood but I am thinking next visit I will hike up and down the gorge at least within the limits of the NP. Will need to do some investigation but a night in a coffin tent will make it worthwhile. The best part of the gorge isn't the one you climb into.

not sure who named this the pyramid...

The Australian Age of Dinosaurs have been fund raising for a new building to house more dinosaur fossils and information but a couple of years ago a local farmer found some footprints preserved in a creek bed on his property. They had been driving past the creek for decades and it was only after a flood cleaned off the top soil that they realised the lumps in the bed were footprints. After some investigation and lots of planning it was decided to remove the whole creek bed and house it at the jumpup. Sections had been already washed away and there was no hope of preserving it in situ. Brilliant effort.

The footprints tell the story of about a week worth of visitors to what was an ancient billabong. Absolutely worth the visit to see an hear the history. The big round marks are the footprints of a sauropod.

And the usual tour of the laboratory which lets you fondle old bones

Last edited:

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
I'm heading to Chillagoe again in a couple of months, I love it there! I didn't know about Tom the first time but I will definitely be paying him a visit this time.

Did you visit the Observatory at all? Seeing Saturn through a telescope is quite a profound experience.

Fun fact - fossils from the Silurian period exist in the Chillagoe rocks, this period is notable as it is believed to be the time when fish first evolved.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I'm heading to Chillagoe again in a couple of months, I love it there! I didn't know about Tom the first time but I will definitely be paying him a visit this time.

Did you visit the Observatory at all? Seeing Saturn through a telescope is quite a profound experience.

Fun fact - fossils from the Silurian period exist in the Chillagoe rocks, this period is notable as it is believed to be the time when fish first evolved.
No to the observatory. Multiple visits to others and the new one being built at the Age of dinosaurs jump up will be something special.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Cosmos centre in Charleville has been the best observatory so far.
I have a friend who lives in Charleville. Good Job you are there during winter. You would need one of those vulcanologist's silver reflective suits if you happened to be there during solar death-ray season, AKA summer.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
We were up in the Atherton Tablelands area at much the same time. Pretty spot and a bit of a mad house. Stayed away from the coast as much as possible. I'd go back more often if it wasn't so far away, there weren't so many grey nomads and mining trucks in the way and the rest of Queensland was as interesting as the interesting bits....

Found a great road over the range between Ingham and Bowen with a mad as a cut snake XC MTB race that seemed to go up bits of it...called the Paluma Push