The hardtail riding thread

Mr_hANky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What do you guys think of my DJ bike. gave her a lick of paint and changed some parts around from when it was an all out 4x machine. It suites this setup better anyway so i'm not complaining at all.

-80mm float RLC fully lockouted and repping the 15mm axel :cool:
-Turn coat so i can have a front brake and get all Macaskill and shit without tangling my lines
-Nicolai bmxtb with custom geo thanks to Mr Nicolai himself.
-10kg's

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:

patto_15

Wheel size expert
So... Why the heck would you run suspension with the lockout on? Why not just rn ridged?
Why the fuck you would you run rigids??? GET A BMX!!

Lock out doesn't mean they don't move, they are just stiffer, i still use 80mm of travel on lockout easily when i ride. I just don't like plush forks, i run the compression ramped, 100psi and lockout on, so they're slow and stiff, but when you need the suspension, its there ;)

Mr_hANky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So... Why the heck would you run suspension with the lockout on? Why not just rn ridged?

Because on fox forks, you can run them full rigid but once they get a big hit they work like a normal fork. It's like the best of both worlds. I can run pretty much a rigid fork but if I case, over jump they work like a normal suspension fork.

Why else do you think people spend shot loads on fox forks on their DJ bikes. It's because of this feature. Plus there light.

Why the fuck you would you run rigids??? GET A BMX!!

Lock out doesn't mean they don't move, they are just stiffer, i still use 80mm of travel on lockout easily when i ride. I just don't like plush forks, i run the compression ramped, 100psi and lockout on, so they're slow and stiff, but when you need the suspension, its there ;)
and a super stiff suspension fork doesnt mess with the geo of your bike, and you can fine tune the a-c height if you want to change it up a bit. you cant do that with a rigid (well you can, but that involves grinders and welding equipment and is just plain stupid)

Callan.

Farkin Gorilla.
In Melbourne tomorrow until the following Friday. Text me on 0416 262 563 if you're local and want to ride :)

sanderscain

Likes Dirt
hey guys i was wondering if anyone has seen or heard of redwall 26 inch tyres that are half decent street/dj, ive searched both here and google and turned up with nothing, or does anyone know how to do it? thanks

Mr_hANky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've never heard of red wall tires, DMR make white wall tyres. The do it properly the aide wall of the tire is made from a red compound. Iv seen a few car places, mainly tyre shops over here in Perth who print sidewalks onto car tires, however it's only a layer of paint and don't know how well it would last. Maybe try afew tire shops near yourself.

sanderscain

Likes Dirt
yeah thanks mate i've bmx 's with redwalls and i reckon they look quite groovy, i also saw a kid on a 26 inch who just used red zinc i'm considering it, but it would probably wear off, and as for tanwalls ive got chrome rims so not too sure on the appearance of them
thanks sanders

elliotdhmcgeary

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Having a look through the for sale section i thought i'd be able to get more with some of the bikes that are going for that price ...

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nah, it'd be worth 1.5? Something like that. The spec is quite good but it is 'only' a traffic. Nice bike though (Y)

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well, after much screwing around. Here's my 'new' dj bike

Build was fairly on the cheap.. Bulletproof though.

Frame: 243 SL 2007ish?
Forks: Marzocchi Drop Off 07 lowered to 120mm
Bars/stem: Bontrager Earl (earl's my last name, so i'm happy :))
Front wheel: Generic 20mm hub on MTX
Rear wheel: Dabomb on Mag30
Cranks: MirraCo
Sprocket: Superstar 30t
Tires: Tioga yellow kirin/schwalbe table top
Brake: V-brake to come - with a rainbow cable!

Rides quite nicely, even if I say so myself. The stem is 70mm long, but i'm taller and it suits the (quite short) frame.

Don't know what happened with the pictures.. substandard picture and i can't even attach it properly!

Attachments

Smacks

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If everything goes according to plan, I'll have a beautiful shiny Capital waiting for me when i get home from OS!