The Fixie Thread

Lemontime

Eats Squid
Donno if anyone on here is interested...
I have an original Suntour SEVEN groupset i'd be willing to part ways with (at a small price or trade),
All complete (shotgun shifters, brakehoods {double lever setup for drops and flats), brake calipers, front & rear deraileur) missing the crankset however.

Got it off my old roadie come fixie,
has only riden 50km (old school speedo on the bike indicated this)
Cira 1960's

Pm and i will send photos.
Is this for a 10speed setup? Have you got the downtube cable guides as well? How much would you be willing to part with it for? Any bike parts you need we could possibly trade for? Any photos?! (PM me plz!)

parker93

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Large thread + little time + unsuccessful search for a very common topic = :(

Velcro toe clips

- Which ones?
- Where?

Not to concerned on price, but cheaper is better.

Go!

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
]

No offence but that is extremely bad advice. I'm 6'2 ish and ride a 61cm c-c seat tube. For someone 6'4 you'd want to be on at least a 62. As much as you think you can make up for the size of the frame with a raised seat post and long stem, you can't. There's a lot more to bike fit than just you height and the only way to really figure it out is to get fitted up professionally but that costs $$. Without going to all that hassle though just get something about the 62-63cm. The correct size frame makes so much difference when on a skinny tyred bike. Get it right and you'll be a lot happier.
I'm 6' 4'' and ride a 52cm square frame. With a short stem and flat bars. I do have a lot of seatpost sticking out of the frame and i'm quite hunched over, but the bike is comfy. I occasionally spend 2-3 hours in the saddle on it and I'm never sore. I ride the bike mainly in the city doing skids etc. IMO the bike isn't a tourer, it's meant to be quite aggressive, it's very short and having the very low in comparison to the seat front makes it even more aggressive.

I have a 59cm square, quite slack geo SS roadie and it is more comfortable, and that's what I go with for longer rides but I like my fixie super low/short. I think some will agree with me?

Lorday

Eats Squid
I have a 59cm square, quite slack geo SS roadie and it is more comfortable, and that's what I go with for longer rides but I like my fixie super low/short. I think some will agree with me?
Yep. I'm 5'10" ride a small mtb.
Roadie/fixie wise I ride a casseroll which is a 51 (effectively a 53 though) which fit me perfect for road riding/commuting. My flite is a 53 and I'm getting rid of even though it fits technically. Need something more aggressive with a lower front end (i.e smaller)

RCOH

Eats Squid
I'm 6' 4'' and ride a 52cm square frame. With a short stem and flat bars. I do have a lot of seatpost sticking out of the frame and i'm quite hunched over, but the bike is comfy. I occasionally spend 2-3 hours in the saddle on it and I'm never sore. I ride the bike mainly in the city doing skids etc. IMO the bike isn't a tourer, it's meant to be quite aggressive, it's very short and having the very low in comparison to the seat front makes it even more aggressive.

Yep. I'm 5'10" ride a small mtb.
Roadie/fixie wise I ride a casseroll which is a 51 (effectively a 53 though) which fit me perfect for road riding/commuting. My flite is a 53 and I'm getting rid of even though it fits technically. Need something more aggressive with a lower front end (i.e smaller)
Probably the 2 dumbest posts in this thread since 'Ross stopped posting vids of his crashes.

You want to get lower? Get a longer bike (ie one that fits) & get drops or pursuit bars. A smaller frame is going make you higher, even more so with you "short stem & flat bars".

You want really low or "aggressive", get an old pursuit bike.

Dipshits.

Lorday

Eats Squid
Lets use a khs flite as an example.
The difference between a:
50cm-60cm in terms of seattube height is 10cm. A seat post has an adjustable height of lets say 30cm.
50cm-60cm in terms of TT length varies 8cm. Stems come in 50-120mm varieties.
50cm-60cm in terms of headtube height (i.e the how high the front end sits.) is a 5.5cm difference. I've seen stems sit almost that high above the top cup.

I reckon the smaller sized flite would be a better pick for me tbh.

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Dipshits.
I didn't say being lower on the bike, i said that the bars are lower in comparison to the seat. If you ride a smaller frame you need more seatpost which forces you to reach further for the bars.

I know I said I like the agressive geometry, i didn't say I liked aggressive reply posts. Sorry to rub sand in your vagina.

EDIT: I also ride a 14.5'' mtb for xc/am stuff. Does that make you angry?

Last edited:

Christo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Lets use a khs flite as an example.
The difference between a:
50cm-60cm in terms of seattube height is 10cm. A seat post has an adjustable height of lets say 30cm.
50cm-60cm in terms of TT length varies 8cm. Stems come in 50-120mm varieties.
50cm-60cm in terms of headtube height (i.e the how high the front end sits.) is a 5.5cm difference. I've seen stems sit almost that high above the top cup.

I reckon the smaller sized flite would be a better pick for me tbh.
Nonsense, no matter how adjustable a frame is based on just the numbers, the handling characteristics will change dramatically in any of the scenarios above.

There's a reason large frames have longer wheelbases. Because the higher centre of gravity that comes with a taller rider demands it at speed.

On the other hand, large frames with longer wheelbases have steeper head angles that help to offset the longer wheelbase (among other considerations). The argument of MTB v. roadie is invalid, MTB's have much slacker head angles, longer top-tubes and therefore longer wheelbases so it's not apples to apples.

A frame's handling and full bike fit is more than just the distance between saddle/bars or saddle/BB.

Lorday

Eats Squid
Nonsense, no matter how adjustable a frame is based on just the numbers, the handling characteristics will change dramatically in any of the scenarios above.

There's a reason large frames have longer wheelbases. Because the higher centre of gravity that comes with a taller rider demands it at speed.

On the other hand, large frames with longer wheelbases have steeper head angles that help to offset the longer wheelbase (among other considerations). The argument of MTB v. roadie is invalid, MTB's have much slacker head angles, longer top-tubes and therefore longer wheelbases so it's not apples to apples.

A frame's handling and full bike fit is more than just the distance between saddle/bars or saddle/BB.
I'm not saying a larger rider should ride a smaller frame. Or MTB are track bike or vice versa.

What I'm alluding to is that a smaller frame of a particular brand may be a better, so not to discount it. I'm perfectly aware of the role geometry plays in the handling characteristics of the bike.

A frame's handling and full bike fit is more than just the distance between saddle/bars or saddle/BB, but it does affect your position on a bike, and a small frame leaves you in a more desirable (for SOME) position. It also suit some people aesthetic desires.

I'm not saying I'm right and everyone else is wrong, I'm just providing a different opinion and pov of the matter. Don't discount it simiply cause its not YOUR pov.

U.D.O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You may not be, but i'm happy and comfortable riding a 57cm. The end.
[/useless bike sizing argument]

In other news, just saw this on The Age, opinions?

AFTER thick-rimmed glasses, a ''fixie'' bike is the hipster's ultimate accessory. With sleek lines, retro colours, no gears and often no brakes, they are the vehicle of choice for inner Melbourne's funky ''Fitzroyal'' set.

But now the feds are trying to cramp their style. Australia's consumer watchdog is threatening bike shops with fines of more than $1 million for selling brakeless fixed-wheel bikes.

Bikes must be sold with front and rear brakes, but the pedals on a fixed-wheel bike move when the wheels do, so skilled riders tend to ditch formal brakes and stop by resisting against the pedals, or turning into a skid.

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission has already taken action against a wholesaler for distributing the ''Surly Steamroller'' without back brakes and is urging people to dob in others who do the same.

It warned ''pedestrians and other bike riders are … at risk of serious injury or death if someone riding a fixed-gear bike loses control and collides with them''.

Melbourne bikers are more bemused than worried. ''It's like cracking down on people who pick their nose when driving,'' said Andy White, of cycling blog fyxomatosis.com.

Nick Mahoney, of Saint Cloud on Brunswick Street, ''a concept store fusing together fashion and fixed-gear bicycle culture'', said most fixie riders were safer than normal cyclists. ''You know exactly how quickly you can stop and you become much more aware of your surrounds and your limitations,'' he said.

Sasha Strickland, of Pony Bike in West Melbourne, described fixies as the purest communion between man, bike and road.

''You're more connected with the bike, and with the road; because of the constant drive of it, you can't stop pedalling.''

She said while she rode a fixie with front and rear brakes, she had built bikes for customers without brakes.

''I don't want to come across as some young punk who's going, 'yeah ride fixies' … Safety is an issue. I was hit by a truck six years ago and fractured my skull and lost my sense of smell.

''I strongly encourage all of my customers to have brakes. But ultimately, I've got to do what they want.''

ACCC's Peter Kell said it was retailers and wholesalers who were the target of the crackdown. Custom bikes are exempt from the safety standards, as are track bikes, the thoroughbred racing cycles that started the fixie craze.

Bicycle Victoria's Garry Brennan said several members had reported sales by bike shops of brakeless fixie bikes. He said would be difficult to stop people modifying their bikes. ''Just as hoons modify cars, similar personalities modify their bikes with unsafe changes and neither are desirable.''

Cyclists who broke the law by riding without safety equipment, including at least one brake, faced a fine of $149 and could be sued if they were in an accident.

Ms Strickland said the fixie craze was at least healthier than other youth trends. ''You take (fixies) away from them, they start doing graffiti, they start taking drugs … At least they're doing something physical and healthy.''

Lemontime

Eats Squid
"described fixies as the purest communion between man, bike and road."

Oh for fucks sake.. Fixie / Spirituality IT'S JUST A BIKE

just built this up, goooood fun =3

Last edited:

Josh Seksy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Funny how they haven't cracked down on the brakeless bmx riders!
there's got to be twice as many brakeless bmx'ers!

niki125

Likes Dirt
I'm not saying a larger rider should ride a smaller frame. Or MTB are track bike or vice versa.

What I'm alluding to is that a smaller frame of a particular brand may be a better, so not to discount it. I'm perfectly aware of the role geometry plays in the handling characteristics of the bike.

A frame's handling and full bike fit is more than just the distance between saddle/bars or saddle/BB, but it does affect your position on a bike, and a small frame leaves you in a more desirable (for SOME) position. It also suit some people aesthetic desires.

I'm not saying I'm right and everyone else is wrong, I'm just providing a different opinion and pov of the matter. Don't discount it simiply cause its not YOUR pov.

I'm hearing what your saying.....

And disregarding all of it. Just cause your a dirt poor hipster who found his beautiful repco conversion in a skip somewhere and can't afford to get the right size frame doesn't make the bike the right size for you. It's like going out and buying a pair of size 19 shoes and wearing them around because you say they help you swim better.

Lorday

Eats Squid
Harry where is the fujji?

I'm hearing what your saying.....

And disregarding all of it. Just cause your a dirt poor hipster who found his beautiful repco conversion in a skip somewhere and can't afford to get the right size frame doesn't make the bike the right size for you. It's like going out and buying a pair of size 19 shoes and wearing them around because you say they help you swim better.
You may be confusing me with g-fish? (he probably does wear close to size 19 shoes and he is incredibility dirty)

I didn't find the flite on the side of the road, nor the salsa.

Last edited:

hubbie

Forever 1,337
Long time no post.
Found another project on the side of the road on Sunday. Tis a Quint handmade road frame. I believe it's 700c 60cm ST 59cm TT. Came with Shimano 600 crankset and matching clip-in pedals. Keen as a jelly-bean. Should have a front wheel for it. Gonna start sourcing parts to build another project.

Anybody know anything about these frames? All I can find is 5 seater tandem bikes. Which is not what I've got.

Lemontime

Eats Squid
And disregarding all of it. Just cause you're* a dirt poor hipster who found his beautiful repco conversion in a skip somewhere and can't afford to get the right size frame doesn't make the bike the right size for you. It's like going out and buying a pair of size 19 shoes and wearing them around because you say they help you swim better.
Not sure what kind of hipsters are up in Brisbane, but down here hipsters have NICE bikes? So you're sort of creating an oxymoron in "dirt poor hipster". Regardless, how can you speak ill of not spending lots of money on a bike? If it's a bike you're only riding to school and back on every day, and it's comfortable enough to ride anyway, then why bother wasting money on it, especially given the higher possibility of theft or damage.

Cheap bikes have more character, and who the fuck wears shoes while swimming?

i like dirt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Here she be.

just going to ride it as it is for the moment. Only changes to make might be grips and seat for comfort. I'm not really a fan of the coloured parts but I'll ride them until they die. Suggestion for seats anyone?