The Fixie Thread

Fixie God

Likes Dirt
@Ezy and Lanky

Hey Guys, I havent heard from triples for a couple of days now, so I'll give him till Friday and then one of you guys can have it!!!

EzyLee

Likes Dirt
no probs, hit him up on fixed.org as well.

Cheers for the update.

An update from my end... just fitted some parts to the cockpit of my new fixed gear bike. Just waiting on parts and the new steed will be built up and on the road.

A pretty cool experiment too, I rode to and from work today on my geared roady and compared my times to my fixed commuter. Fixed beats it by 2 minutes each way over 18kms.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
A pretty cool experiment too, I rode to and from work today on my geared roady and compared my times to my fixed commuter. Fixed beats it by 2 minutes each way over 18kms.
I rode my geared roadie to a mates place the other day for the first time in ages.. Felt SO weird not pedalling all the time.

triples

Likes Dirt
Fixie God, check your pm. Sent you one last night ;)

I don't really need the bike, and more than likely it will sit there for a while. If someone needs it more than me go for your life. If not I will still come over on Sat.

EzyLee

Likes Dirt
Fixie God, check your pm. Sent you one last night ;)

I don't really need the bike, and more than likely it will sit there for a while. If someone needs it more than me go for your life. If not I will still come over on Sat.
Your call dude... pick it up or I will :) I have a whole lot of parts at home, just missing a frame.

bennyg

Squid
Melbourne

Just got back on the bike after a long spell on the couch.

Thought I'd buy a fixie cause I can't afford a road bike and although a little ambitious, might give me an opportunity to ride track again. One day.

Anyhoo - what's the story with fixie group rides?

I don't imagine it to be 100km sitting on someone's wheel before sipping latte's and admiring who has the most carbon. Am I wrong?

How do I get involved?

What does it involve?

FYI - I live in South Melbourne.

floody

Wheel size expert
Anyhoo - what's the story with fixie group rides?

I don't imagine it to be 100km sitting on someone's wheel before sipping latte's and admiring who has the most carbon. Am I wrong?

How do I get involved?

What does it involve?

FYI - I live in South Melbourne.
I'd imagine it involves riding 20km on mildly undulating terrain before sipping macchiatos and admiring whose jeans are the tightest, who has the narrowest bars, and who has the most anachronistic decals applied to their steeds.

I am of course taking the piss, I'm in Hobart, I have NFI what a fixie bunch ride in Melburg would involve.

Now, can you guys give me some ideas on sourcing some parts/parts to buy?
-A nice stem, circa 120mm and negative rise, 1" quill and vintage looking. I'd like to be able to get something a little smoother than the current crop of Nittos. I have a lovely hidden binder Shimano 600 stem but its missing the clamshell bar clamp portion.
25.4 clamp for Nitto B124AA bars.
-Fluted post, vintage laprade style without any prominent writing, anything off the shelf these days?
-Vintage looking 700x19 or 700x23s? So preferably skin wall, even natural or amber tread would be cool.
Can be clincher or tubular at this point as I haven't decided what wheelset to build (clincher araya super aeros? or tubular hard ano Gallis?).
-Brown leather seat, NOT A FUCKING BROOKS or anything else as awful.
-Top mount lever for 25.4 bars that doesn't look like those awful Diacompes (i.e. the ones which resemble cheap pressed steel ones).

Haven't done the deal yet but the fervor is rising I must say.

Is there a full time distributor for Kashimax in Australia?

Last edited:

Fixie God

Likes Dirt
Alrighty guys.....Triples is gonna have a look...if it doesnt take his fancy Ezy was next in line, then Lanky and then Smacks