The Fixie Thread

vandenberg

Likes Dirt
Is it just me or is the $5 Dennis from FGG requests pretty steep to put a pic of your fixie online? He's already advertising to make money, and it doesn't look like he does much work, or has particularly big hosting fees to pay.
just do what everyone else does and say paypal to follow.

are you putting your bike on there? i don't really see the point.

EzyLee

Likes Dirt
So I got an old hillman road bike from a local online auction earlier this year and have been collecting parts for and it is all finally coming together for my second build up.

I am going to have a mate teach me how to build up a wheel set on this one so I am learning along the build which is always a good thing. I was going to start building it last night but I noticed the clear coat was a bit patchy so I will be getting it re cleared before the build. The colour looks shit in the photos but it has a really nice gold pearl in it that you can see in the light. Once I get it built I will take some better pics.

Frame Hillman
Wheelset Velocity laced to BIA Sunshine hubs (spokes still to come) Gran Compe SS tyres
Seat Selle Italia X0
Seatpost Still to come
Cranks Sugino Mighty Competition (Still to polish)
Chain Still to come
Pedals MKS
Bars Cinelli track drops wrapped in white colnago tape
Headstem ITM

After this I get to build up my Hillman track frame.

Tom Foolery

Likes Bikes
yeah but i dont wanna go anywhere near that road cause it is hectic in the morning. i was just thinking of parking on one of the roads that connects to william hovell and going from there as i think they go under the road and hook up with the lake...
You should be able to park on the eastern side of Bindubi Street and get straight on the bike path, then its 5mins or less of good bike path to the lake.

bdstorer

Likes Dirt
So I got an old hillman road bike from a local online auction earlier this year and have been collecting parts for and it is all finally coming together for my second build up.
Nice looking frame and great assembly of parts. I tried white bar tape, it looks good for about three weeks, but after that I gets progressively shitter before becoming a sweat stained, road grimed
detraction from the rest of the bike. Maybe try and match the tape with the frame colour? Honey brown tape?? Or Cinelli did this full-on gold fleck tape that really is waaaaay over the top.

Loving the mudguard/rack mounts on the frame. Glad to see you kept them. I've been running a front rack on my fixie for a few months now and love it. Mudguards will be added on my return to Tasmania.

Looking forward to seeing your completed project.

EzyLee

Likes Dirt
The bar tape I picked up for $5 so I won't complain too much if it looks like shit after a short time. I do have a honey b17 brooks seat sitting around doing nothing so maybe I will get the matching tape for it after the white goes grey.

The main reason behind this build is to appear in photos for my wedding next year and riding to the church as it is just down the road. So after it is built I dare say it will get a lap around the block, then hung up until April.

hubbie

Forever 1,337
just do what everyone else does and say paypal to follow.

are you putting your bike on there? i don't really see the point.
I don't want to fool him though, I just think it's stupid, when say velospace is free and more comprehensive. I do enjoy perusing FGG for inspiration, and out of interest, but have not put my bike up. My new frame is just about done, and the old one will be rebuilt and sold, so i considered putting it up before i get rid of it.

triples

Likes Dirt
Hi Guys,

If anyone is interested I have copys of:
one mag issues 1, 2, & 3
one mag spoke cards and post cards
As well as outcast issues upto 15

PM for details

shirtz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You should be able to park on the eastern side of Bindubi Street and get straight on the bike path, then its 5mins or less of good bike path to the lake.
yeah thats what i was thinking will try it out next week.

Ezylee: nice! going to be a fixie i assume?

am mustard to catch up with a few of you fellas for a casual F-around, or even a game of polo (i have never played!) if anyone in the berra is keen in the next few weeks...

EzyLee

Likes Dirt
Yeah, its going to be fixed.

I haven't heard of much polo being played in Canberra. I was chatting to one of the dudes that works at Lonsdale bike shop and he was saying he plays. I didn't ask any more about it. But head on to http://fixed.org.au/forums/index.php/board,24.0.html to see whats happening with fixed stuff in the area. Not much has been happening through winter. A couple of rides out to Lake George and back and a rock climbing get together. Once the daylight savings kicks in expect to see more meet ups.

FlyingOff

Likes Bikes
Well here is a gear chart.

Depending on the terrain you ride, a 21, if you like to spin. A 20 for around 70 gear inches, good for pretty much anywhere. Lastly a 19 if you want some nice top speed and don't mind pushing big gears.

Anything higher than 75 gear inches and you will fcuk your knees (street wise).
Also depends on brakeless or brakes.

Attachments