The Fixie Thread

Cedel

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I can't explain! :rolleyes: Maybe i should ask if i could ride fixed with both back and front brakes... LOL

I think it is because We are employed by them (not sub contractors) and i think that the only way we can get insurance, so it's actually good, just would of prefered Fixed...

Riding fixed it is way easier to regulate ones speed, with SS you are either Thumping along of stopped, you can't ride aorund all day with your anchors on...

My fixie also now looks horrible with all of these icky cables going everywhere, brake levers, calipers, bottle cage...

Time for a N+1 i think....
So you're a courier? I see now.

SDA

Likes Dirt
Check out these fixie hipster tragic fashion victims taking on Lance in Austin:

http://current.com/items/89407018/lance_is_fixed.htm

And Lance kicking their ass!
I haven't checked this site or thread in over a month or so.. and still the same old sh!te.. same old recycled video's that someone has found for the first time.. same old hipster comments.. same old crap looking conversions.. same old.. same old.. boring!!

I think I am just over the fixie hype.. it was cool and exciting 2 years ago.. I guess it just wears off and becomes monotonous.

Hmm.. what next? Cyclocross?

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
You're so progressive and trail blazing, SDA. It's great to know that you were so ahead of the fixie trend. I wish I had been as forward thinking as you obviously were and had bought a fixie years ago, then I would be the envy of all the hipster kids around. Oh well, maybe you're right, maybe CX will be the next big thing. I might go buy one.

Lemontime

Eats Squid
How'd you go about getting a courier job, Jaumet? Definitely interested in giving it a blast for some extra coin one day..

addmin

Likes Dirt
How'd you go about getting a courier job, Jaumet? Definitely interested in giving it a blast for some extra coin one day..
me to... i wonder if they'd employ 16 yr olds on a casual basis

but i reckon jaumet got a job a crisis... i read somewhere that they didnt accept fixies

Pete J

loves his dog
Giving up something you like doing simply because others want to do it as well is pretty lame, imo. :rolleyes:
That is the true mark of a hipster/poser/whatever...

Jaumet

Likes Dirt
Kept my eye on the online job sites... Typing in "PUSHBIKE" every few days, after two weeks of typing that in i got a hit! Applied, and they rang me back within the hour! haha

Also asked a few couriers companys in Melb, but they never got back to me...

me to... i wonder if they'd employ 16 yr olds on a casual basis

but i reckon jaumet got a job a crisis... i read somewhere that they didnt accept fixies
NO harm in trying, get the phonebook out and look up inner city couriers, ring em up and see! You might get lucky !

Well a few posts up i said they don't accept fixies, well not who i work for anyway,

I see plenty who ride either fixed or SS - So it's not a law or anything! i think when it comes down to it SS will be better, 5 days at 10 hours a day - That's a whole heap a pedaling! And with my extra cashflow i shoudl be able to build up a sweet Fixie anywayz!

Peace!

Jaumet

Likes Dirt
I haven't checked this site or thread in over a month or so.. and still the same old sh!te.. same old recycled video's that someone has found for the first time.. same old hipster comments.. same old crap looking conversions.. same old.. same old.. boring!!

I think I am just over the fixie hype.. it was cool and exciting 2 years ago.. I guess it just wears off and becomes monotonous.

Hmm.. what next? Cyclocross?
Feck man, give us a break

Sean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah, in Melbz.
And to top it all off, Connex had a go at me for not having a ticket :mad:

Bah!
Did you say you lost it without realising when your bike slid out in the rain? And then proceed to show them the damage. Could have worked.

Bad luck Toddy. :(

SDA

Likes Dirt
Giving up something you like doing simply because others want to do it as well is pretty lame, imo. :rolleyes:
That is the true mark of a hipster/poser/whatever...
Not giving up riding fixed - I commute every day to work riding fixed (for about 2 years now).. but not so cool because I have a front brake and clipless pedals! :eek:

I'm just noting that this thread has the same old boring stuff.. I mean the technology of a fixed gear is not really going to change, and hasn't really changed since our parents were riding bikes in their youth.

I guess there isn't much more to post on this thread than:

1. How do you do a conversion - try the search function
  2. Look at this cool video - sorry, we've probably seen it posted here of on another website
  3. Look at this bike - we've probably seen it on fixed gear gallery or velospace.. or here
  4. Look what I found in the hard rubbish collections - it was hard rubbish for a reason
  5. I don't use a front brake - good for you!
  6. I use flat pedals - even better!!
  7. Your a hipster - no really, your just jealous of hipsters
  8. What bike should I buy - use the search function
  9. How do I get my rear cog off - use the search function.. it hasn't changed in the last 50 years!
  10. http://trackosaurusrex.com/pblog/
  11. http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/
  12. http://www.fyxomatosis.com/

Do you get my drift?

When did CX stop being big?
It never did.. but what will the cool kids do next?

Nah...P-Far's are the next big thing!
I think dunk might be on the money! :)

vandenberg

Likes Dirt
I'm just noting that this thread has the same old boring stuff.. I mean the technology of a fixed gear is not really going to change, and hasn't really changed since our parents were riding bikes in their youth.
why all the hate, holmes?

this thread is actually pretty funny, it goes round in cycles, and the people that post on it are at different stages of the cycle. youve got the "first conversion, how do i do it?" kids. youve got the "did my first skid/wheely/barspin!" kids. youve got the "fuck conversions, i wanna track bike!" kids. and then every couple months you get the "im old school, i cant believe you kids are still talking about this shit" kids.

cheer up champ! go for a ride! talk to a hipster! do a skid! just stop harshing my vibe, man. you're killing the zen.

KonaAlec

Likes Dirt
what is a P-Far???:eek:

EDIT: just googled it, I have wanted one for years but I don't know where to get one, any one know?

Last edited: