The eeb quick or stupid questions thread.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Seems a silly question but,
In my partners ebike manual it says to take the battery out before washing it.
Does that mean you can't ride in the rain. Serious question
Some farkwits use a pressure washer so it means for that sort of situation.
Riding in rain is fine but immersion in deep water will kill it eg friend rode thru very deep water and it was the end.
He pulled it apart , there is silicon covering everything but its not bombproof.

safreek

Some farkwits use a pressure washer so it means for that sort of situation.
Riding in rain is fine but immersion in deep water will kill it eg friend rode thru very deep water and it was the end.
He pulled it apart , there is silicon covering everything but its not bombproof.
Excellent, thanks for that. Soft brush and gently hose. :)

cammas

Seamstress
So I have purchased my Trance E+ which have the standard Giant wheels on it and I have a set of wheels comprised of WTB I35mm tough rims with Hope hubs sitting in the garage which would be a nice upgrade.

My issue is they are only 28 spoke and the trance is around 23kgs, I am definitely not a downhiller or enduro rider but I do like riding some tech but not all the time, would they hold up or should I sell them and get some wheels more suitable for it?

It’s these wheels

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
My issue is they are only 28 spoke and the trance is around 23kgs, I am definitely not a downhiller or enduro rider but I do like riding some tech but not all the time, would they hold up or should I sell them and get some wheels more suitable for it?
Cue the responses, 'Fear not, just send it!' :)

cammas

Seamstress
Isn't it better to use good parts and risk damaging them rather than keep them in perfect conditions for some future time that may never happen?
Yep I am looking to sell them if not suitable for the trance, as my future project does not involve boost requirements ;)

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
So I have purchased my Trance E+ which have the standard Giant wheels on it and I have a set of wheels comprised of WTB I35mm tough rims with Hope hubs sitting in the garage which would be a nice upgrade.

It’s these wheels
I tend to think of the extra weight of an Ebike in regard to how much variation would there be in rider weight for a normal bike.

It depends on how heavy you are, but if you only weigh 70kg then the extra weight of the Ebike over say, a normal enduro bike would be around 7kg, so total weight would be like a 77kg rider riding your bike. You wouldn't blink an eye at that.
If you are 130kg you might be pushing the limits of the wheels as it is on a normal bike, so adding and extra 7kg might be the straw that breaks the camel's back.
Kind of why I think the whole "Ebike Specific" parts like forks, tyres to handle all the extra weight of and Ebike is a crock of shit, as there's far more variance in rider weight than the extra weight of an Ebike.

cammas

Seamstress
I tend to think of the extra weight of an Ebike in regard to how much variation would there be in rider weight for a normal bike.

It depends on how heavy you are, but if you only weigh 70kg then the extra weight of the Ebike over say, a normal enduro bike would be around 7kg, so total weight would be like a 77kg rider riding your bike. You wouldn't blink an eye at that.
If you are 130kg you might be pushing the limits of the wheels as it is on a normal bike, so adding and extra 7kg might be the straw that breaks the camel's back.
Kind of why I think the whole "Ebike Specific" parts like forks, tyres to handle all the extra weight of and Ebike is a crock of shit, as there's far more variance in rider weight than the extra weight of an Ebike.
Recently dropped 8 kilos so just under 100kgs, was thinking of adding Cushcore or the like and the other thought was keep the Giant wheels for going to unknown places ie if I get to venture to Derby, Maydena, etc or if I plan on doing something that would require a burlier set and run these for the local trails that aren’t really technical.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I Would just use what you have most wheel stress would be bad landings and rolling down huge rocks.
I agree w above ebikes are a bit overdone as no one notices the exyra weight and it is a point of differentiation that the marketers love eg giant disc rotors and handlebars on womens bikes.
Yeah i know some contrarian will argue the point ad usual bit i dont want to hear it.
Ewww its unsafe blah blah

Stredda

Recently dropped 8 kilos so just under 100kgs, was thinking of adding Cushcore or the like and the other thought was keep the Giant wheels for going to unknown places ie if I get to venture to Derby, Maydena, etc or if I plan on doing something that would require a burlier set and run these for the local trails that aren’t really technical.
Sounds like a good plan. I wonder if there is some information out there that has recommended weights for a certain spoke counts.

I Would just use what you have most wheel stress would be bad landings and rolling down huge rocks.
I agree w above ebikes are a bit overdone as no one notices the exyra weight and it is a point of differentiation that the marketers love eg giant disc rotors and handlebars on womens bikes.
Yeah i know some contrarian will argue the point ad usual bit i dont want to hear it.
Ewww its unsafe blah blah
Yes, that's right. You can feel the extra weight in the bike when riding it, but the extra loading on components from what they should be designed for is negligible.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
thinking of adding Cushcore or the like
Being a noob to liners in 2023, I watched a load of videos and read a load of articles and reviews.

I've never used one but Cushcore is 60mm wide and predominately a bead locker and sidewall support insert with decent rim strike protection. Very good if used with heavy casing tyres, which is why a lot of DH & EWS riders use them as they have the above traits. Apparently a PITA to fit and if you are running lighter than DH tyres, may be to much hassle to change regularly.

Ended up deciding on Vittoria Air-liners, able to run lower pressures, decent sidewall support a low pressures, is marketed as a run flat, great protection from rim strikes and easy to fit. Also comes in a long length that you wrap around your rim, cut and cable tie the two ends. I'm using mine with standard tubeless valves and WTB sealant. Never had any issues since fitting them also I have not heard or experienced the insert rattle that some have reported.

Air-liners are about 35 euro each from Germany, Cushcore is twice the price.

M10_TireInserts_Vittoria_1_e-copy.jpg

Last edited:

Stredda

Being a noob to liners in 2023, I watched a load of videos and read a load of articles and reviews.

I've never used one but Cushcore is 60mm wide and predominately a bead locker and sidewall support insert with decent rim strike protection. Very good if used with heavy casing tyres, which is why a lot of DH & EWS riders use them as they have the above traits. Apparently a PITA to fit and if you are running lighter than DH tyres, may be to much hassle to change regularly.

Ended up deciding on Vittoria Air-liners, able to run lower pressures, decent sidewall support a low pressures, is marketed as a run flat, great protection from rim strikes and easy to fit. Also comes in a long length that you wrap around your rim, cut and cable tie the two ends. I'm using mine with standard tubeless valves and WTB sealant. Never had an issues since fitting them also I have not heard or experienced the insert rattle that some have reported.

Air-liners are about 35 euro each from Germany, Cushcore is twice the price.

View attachment 406750
I haven't gone down the insert track so far, but my luck on Iron Tor will eventually run out so might be worth looking at. Sounds like the Air-Liner is what I would need.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I haven't gone down the insert track so far, but my luck on Iron Tor will eventually run out so might be worth looking at. Sounds like the Air-Liner is what I would need.
Only needed in the rear tyre, I put one in my Deviate and the other on the Ibis.

DougalStrachan

Likes Dirt
Kind of why I think the whole "Ebike Specific" parts like forks, tyres to handle all the extra weight of and Ebike is a crock of shit
Yep agree - except for drive trains, well cassettes, chain rings and chains to be specific. They do seem to get smashed on the eebb.

Might be harder to market parts based on rider weight tho :D I wouldn't mind a snappy XC bike for some instances, but I still don't think I could run XC parts as my, lets say, robust weight might push the friendship. XC geometry with high spoke count wheels and burly parts would probaly not market well as the fat guy spec XC bike

Stredda

Yep agree - except for drive trains, well cassettes, chain rings and chains to be specific. They do seem to get smashed on the eebb.
Agreed. Drivetrain is the one area where being Ebike specific would be good. I'd be interested to hear if SRAM Transmission is any better than the older stuff. Sounds like Shimano Cues is the way to go at the moment, but you won't see any high-end bikes specced with it though. :rolleyes:
Might be harder to market parts based on rider weight tho :D I wouldn't mind a snappy XC bike for some instances, but I still don't think I could run XC parts as my, lets say, robust weight might push the friendship. XC geometry with high spoke count wheels and burly parts would probaly not market well as the fat guy spec XC bike
There is a max bike load rating with a lot of bikes but that's about all.

cammas

Seamstress
Sounds like a good plan. I wonder if there is some information out there that has recommended weights for a certain spoke counts.
I tried Hamboing it but couldn’t find much but Spesh were doing 28 spoked wheel on some of their e-bikes but can’t remember if that was on their SL’s or normal e-bike

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I am Using a 10 speed drive train lasts longer.
Some e bikes have 12 speed and 52 T rear cogs like my wifes Trek is unnecessary.