The Commencal of Procrastination

willsy01

Eats Squid
Well it's taken a while, but I finally finished this thing during the week.

Frame - 2012 Commencal Meta AM (courtesy of BigHair, thx bud)
Rear shock - 2013 Float CTD (Chris Kovarik's!! Hopefully some of his skill was transferred)
Front shock/fork - 2013 Float CTD 150mm
Handlebars - Easton Haven 711mm
Stem - RaceFace Turbine 50mm
Headset - Hope pick 'n mix
Grips - ODI Oury lock on
Saddle - Fizik Gobi
Seatpost - KS Lev (thx Al @ Pushie)
Front brake - M785 XT on a 203mm rotor w/Goodridge lines
Rear brake - M785 XT on a 180mm rotor w/Goodridge lines
Cranks - M785 XT w/34t RaceFace narrow wide ring
Chainguide - MRP AMG
Chain - XTR 10sp
Pedals - M985 XTR Trail
Front derailleur - nil
Rear derailleur - Shimano ZEE with what I think is one of the last Gore cable kits
Front shifter - nil
Rear shifter - M820 Saint
Cassette - XT 11-36 10sp
Front hub - Hope Pro II Evo
Rear hub - Hope Pro II Evo
Front rim - Stans Flow EX
Rear rim - Stans Flow EX
Spokes - Black ones
Nipples - Also black ones
Tyres - Hans Dampf 2.35
Tubes - Liquid latex
Total weight - More than an 18mm spanner, less than a Lada Niva

As mentioned above, I picked up the frame from Hamish back in July. I agonised over colours for a while then took it to Chris at Craved Coatings......then ended up picking something very different. He did a brilliant job despite having an epic queue of jobs to get through.

All the bits were sourced over some months. The head tube cable routing grommets and neoprene mudguard are probably worth more than gold based on weight. So all the bits were sitting in their boxes ready to go......frame was powder coated......then came the slump.

I'm not sure what happened. Riding just wasn't appealing to me and the thought of building the bike was just a chore, not something enjoyable like it should be. I'd convinced myself that I wouldn't build it until I did the frameskin and the idea of measuring that then cutting it to fit was even more off-putting. It didn't help that a lot of powder coat needed to be filed off for the frame to go together which was a lesson learnt.

Eventually, I just gave up on the frame skin and built the thing. The internal cable routing is a complete bitch, but it's very neat. Very little of the outer or brake line can be seen. Very happy with the end result, although i've not been able to take it for a proper spin. Yes, the white forks don't quite fit but i'm not rich enough to buy new ones. Anyway.....here it is:

Attachments

Last edited:

ChopSticks

Banned
EPIC job Willsy !!!!

love all the new shiny bits !!!!
any reason why you didnt go with the KS Integra over the Lev? no routing via bottom of seat-tube?

hopefully this is the bike what gets you back on the trails and find that lost motivation !!!!!!

a weigh in would be great too ;)

willsy01

Eats Squid
You can't quite see it in any of those pics, but there is a already a route for the cable through the top tube. It pops out of that little curved bit that joins the seat tube. There wouldn't be a clean way to get it into the bottom of the seat tube using the Integra.

KS have a new lever coming out soon, i'll be hitting up Al :)

s1600_BT_20130918_untitled_shoot_314.jpg

bowtajzane

Likes Dirt
willsy, about bloody time , it's a shame that evil bastard frame skin got the better of you, but we'll just groom the trails a bit more
so nothing will scratch it :thumb:
is that Ferrari red?
also do you think you can get some of Kris's dna of the shock?
maybe we can cultivate it and get a shaman/ which doctor to bless our bikes and the track at mill creek, in some type of ceremony :laugh:
btw,frame and forks look good, much better than those bland old white ones some pepole have :behindsofa:

willsy01

Eats Squid
The colour is somewhat of a shapeshifter. In low light it's orange with a tinge of red through it......in sunlight it's blinding fluorescent orange. It came out of the gun pink when the powder coater sprayed it.

teK--

Eats Squid
Mate that colour looks farkin HOT!!!

I have always loved the meta AM and would have built one if not swept up in the 27.5 craze and getting a great deal.

You would probably know how it feels once riding it a bit more but unless you are a tiny bloke 750 mm bars would do this bike justice.

Lookin forward to ride update!

ChopSticks

Banned
You can't quite see it in any of those pics, but there is a already a route for the cable through the top tube. It pops out of that little curved bit that joins the seat tube. There wouldn't be a clean way to get it into the bottom of the seat tube using the Integra.
yepppp! I can just see the black grommet in the reflection !!
just wasnt sure if you could squeeze/route a cable through the top tube and the seat-tube either with a brake noodle or a rollamajig of sorts?....regardless the bike looks fucking RAD !!!!!!

Internal cabling is a check box I must tick when its time to look for a new bike !

KS have a new lever coming out soon, i'll be hitting up Al :)
Saw the KS lever a few weeks back....very keen too, but would be even better if it was carbon and compatible with Shimano's i-spec mounting system !..... and price !!!

Mitch243

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looks way better than when it was under me. That colour looks excrlkent! I'm stoked on how you've set it up. Guide and forks are very sensible. You should do away with a lot of niggles that I had.

I hope you lubed the hell outta the derailleur cable though!

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

willsy01

Eats Squid
....but unless you are a tiny bloke 750 mm bars would do this bike justice.
I'm going to see how it gets along with the Havens.....the idea of some carbon Havocs is strong however.

just wasnt sure if you could squeeze/route a cable through the top tube and the seat-tube either with a brake noodle or a rollamajig of sorts?
I guess it's possible, but i'm happy with the in-built solution. There's only about 4" of outer visible, it's pretty neat.

Looks way better than when it was under me. That colour looks excrlkent! I'm stoked on how you've set it up. Guide and forks are very sensible. You should do away with a lot of niggles that I had.

I hope you lubed the hell outta the derailleur cable though!
Thx bud. I'll probably buy some tapered forks one day.......34s or something. The current ones are fine though.

The Gore cable kit is a three piece setup. You run the outer (getting it through that S-bend after the bottom bracket is just a joke.....) then there is an inner that slides through after that. The inner has a heap of lubrication at the top of the inner so applies itself to the cable as it runs through. I was worried that it would drag on downshifts but it runs really smoothly.....well, for now.

What sort of niggles did you suffer?

markb84

Likes Dirt
Good work mate! Now I can finally stop bugging you to get on with it and start bugging you to go riding instead...can you still remember how to ride?

willsy01

Eats Squid
Hey, stop polluting my thread......this is meant to be all about me and my glorious feats of workmanship.

bowtajzane

Likes Dirt
ooooops , sorry mate, did I mention what a splendid job
you did on your bike :thumb:
yeah mark stop it :behindsofa:

markb84

Likes Dirt
Hey, stop polluting my thread......this is meant to be all about me and my glorious feats of workmanship.
I was only responding to requests from you and Grant. But well done again all the same. It's very pretty.

Given the month of rain the national park received in 3 hours this afternoon you may get to ride it sometime in mid April...

Sent from my iPhone

DirtyDingo

Banned
Looks like brand new mate, I recon those white fox kashimas look actually really good on the bike, doesn't have to be all black and red, it looks very neat and tidy, nice specs choice! Pretty awesome bike ; )
What was the previous frame colour?