NSW The Approval process (Banging heads on Brick walls and breakin' on through)

dhlouie101

Likes Dirt
thanks flynny for the update on what's going on, I under stand that it must be a massive hassle with the Sydney water and all.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
Had a site inspection today with Andrew from SEEC. He really knows his stuff. There are a couple of areas of concern that we need to work out solutions for but at least it's moving forward

thecat

Another win another step closer

Ok Just got this back from Dr Bob Banens of the Sydney Catchment Authority

Thank you for giving the Sydney Catchment Authority (SCA) the opportunity to comment on the SWMP for the proposed Mountain bike track at Hassans Walls as required by the consent. The SCA is satisfied with the adequacy of the SWMP in identifying the key sediment and erosion elements for a challenging project in difficult terrain, and in refining the course to minimise any potential water quality impact whilst retaining the challenge for users of the track. As discussed, the SCA would like you to add a note to the SWMP identifying that the spectator access trail will be constructed to the NPWS best practice standard for bushwalking tracks. It considers your proposal to undertake “toolbox talks” prior to the start of work, and the provision of supervision at various stages during the construction is an excellent way to ensure water quality issues are appropriately addressed. I note that the consent also requires you as a Certified Professional in Erosion and Sediment Control to sign off and advise the SCA of the suitability and adequacy of the implemented measures in meeting the requirements of the consent conditions and being consistent with current design standards and best practice.

I also note that the consent requires an Operational Plan for the assessment and maintenance of the mountain biking and spectator access trails, the conduct of events including parking and camping management, and the use of toilets and other facilities to be prepared and a copy provided to the SCA prior to the use of the site. Clearly the maintenance of implemented erosion and sediment control measures and stormwater management structures will be a key element of this Operational Plan.

The environmental management approach adopted for this project including particularly the SWMP may provide useful input to the NPWS Discussion Paper into its Cycling Policy Review and Sustainable Mountain Biking Strategy. Comments close on 25 October 2010.
The gist of that if Bob is giving his OK to the soil and sediment control plans SEEC have drawn up. This is a major win for us and SCA is one of the strictest bodies to get a development application through and Bob especially has a reputation for taking a very hard stance on environmental concerns. For him to recommend this as imput to the NP discussions is very, very, very "good thing"(tm)

The plans now go back to council for the final tick off and then we can crack out the shovels.

Andrew from SEEC will be overseeing the build in so far as giving our builders a run through of the limits and constraints before the building can take place and offering his expertise on the more delicate ares such as creek crossings.

Last edited:

scud

Likes Bikes
This is brilliant news! Especially after the recent disappointment from my town.......

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
did I read this right:
... I note that the consent also requires you as a Certified Professional in Erosion and Sediment Control ...
is this directed at you ?? or Andrew ??

If you, then Woooohooooo ... Pro Status

Are they also providing positive comment to the NPWS discussion paper ? AWESOME

thecat

did I read this right:
is this directed at you ?? or Andrew ??
Andrew

If you, then Woooohooooo ... Pro Status
I'm a pro... just not int he soil and sediment thingie

Are they also providing positive comment to the NPWS discussion paper ? AWESOME

I will be submitting it along with Bobs comment and will encourage Andrew to.
Andrew was blown away by the positivity of Bobs comments, apparently the guy holds a great deal of sway in certain circles

mr brad

Cannon Fodder
thanks flynny for the update on what's going on, I under stand that it must be a massive hassle with the Sydney water and all.
It's not Sydney Water. Nothing to do with Sydney Water. It's Sydney Catchment Authority. I work for them:(

I just discovered this thread. I would have been no help - totally out of my area. Even I have trouble getting permission to put tracks in or make changes to allow safe access for my people.

The only excuse for the delay is that they have been bent over before & are very cautious. There's nothing more embarassing than having to ask 5 million people to boil their water before drinking it.

thecat

It's not Sydney Water. Nothing to do with Sydney Water. It's Sydney Catchment Authority. I work for them:(

I just discovered this thread. I would have been no help - totally out of my area. Even I have trouble getting permission to put tracks in or make changes to allow safe access for my people.

The only excuse for the delay is that they have been bent over before & are very cautious. There's nothing more embarassing than having to ask 5 million people to boil their water before drinking it.
Hi Mr Brad while the delays were annoying for the most part they were caused by lack of funds on our part. It did seem a bit silly to go so far over the top when the area below the trail is a pony club and thus has hooved animals churning up the ground and shitting and stuff, not to mention the dirt road that basically paralells it being used for a yearly rally... (The whole gully are is covered with dust for weeks after. I mean, really, 1 rally car is doing to cause more sedimentation in the area than 20 years of riding.)

But at least now we have it done and have dotted all the "T"s and cross all the "i" or something.

Having someone like Dr Bob Banens sign off on the project gives it serious credentials to be used as an example for other areas so on the whole it is a pleasing result.

Last edited:

thecat

Another step closer.

We now have all the approvals and plans in place. The final thing we need to do before being allowed to dig is to walk the trail with "concerned community members" and talk them through what we are doing.
Bit of a wank really as the condition simply says we need to do the walk it doesn't say we need to address any concerns raised but it's all PR really. The route corridor has been approved by Fauna and Flora experts and SCA but I suppose diverting the actual trail tread around a shrub or patch or orchids here or there will get us brownie points.

Council is organising this walk and I'm doing a pre walk with them on Monday. Suddenly they are wondering if it is such a good idea insurance wise to invite a bunch of old ladies to walk down a steep terrain rugged virgin bush...

Anyway. Our soil and sediment plans we should be concentrating our digging in between April and November so we trying to get all this done now so we're ready to go asap

Puddleduck

Likes Dirt
thecat, good thread. it was an interesting read, most of it anyway, i did jump a couple of the 'boring' bits. Good luck. As far as those old ducks go on the walk, get them onto a sweet DH bike and send them off down the hill. You'll have them digging trails in no time. :)

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Can you ask for 1 or 2 representatives per community group ... as opposed to all concerned residents ... (soz no question marks).

Good Luck with it ... suggest lots of scones :) and mugs of tea of course :D

thecat

Frustratingly little to report.

The requested soil and sediment control plan was past by SCA and submitted to council in October with a request to organise the necessary site walk. Early in the new year it was deemed that before council could organise the walk they needed to do a pre walk to conduct a risk assessment.

The assessment walk took place late February.

Still waiting for the assessment report to come back.

It's frustrating as when we submitted the S&S control plans we indicated that we'd like to get the walk done and everything settled in time to allow us to start digging in April.

Need to get things going soon else we'll risk loosing our funding.

The saga continues

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A walk to do a risk assessment of the same walk to be done in the future? You have to love govt departments/agencies.

I hope it all gets sorted out with no funding issues.

thecat

Hey all some good news with this starting to move forward again.

Looks like the walk with council staff and members of the environmental advisory committee will finally take place late next week.

Fingers crossed all goes well.

Oppy

Likes Dirt
Take a tap recorder or video camera and keep a record of the event. Amazaing how nice people can be when they know they are on camera.

thecat

The walls they are crumbling

Trail walk took place today. Despite Helen saying "I'm just desperate to find something endangered to give me more clout" no major concerns were raised.
Full write up at www.ctmbc

I believe that is all the boxes ticked to allow the consent to be activated but we need to wait to hear back from council about that.

in the mean time Trail Builders initiation day planned on the 4th of June so Andrew from SEEC can talk us through the SCA condition and lay down the law on building techniques

Anyone who wants to help with the main building is invited along.

Last edited: