The “Flying with a downhill bike” thread

T-Rex

Template denier
Here’s what I’ve figured out about flying with a downhill bike, from recent experience flying to National Series races. There have been some good articles in magazines over the past year or so about flying with bikes generally, and I won’t repeat a lot of what is in those articles. This thread is specific to flying with a DH bike, but I have included a few other handy hints of a general nature.

Downhill bikes are heavy and bulky. By the time you add your riding gear and some basic tools it’s a struggle to get in under the weight limit. Weight is key. In the last two months we have flown with Qantas, Virgin and Jetstar with no major hassles.

Weight

Know your weights before you arrive at check in – you can get a fish scale for $20 from Ebay, it weighs up to 50kg accurate to 10g. I found trying to weigh the bike in the box using bathroom scales really awkward, and not even remotely accurate.

Weight limits by airline at the time of writing are:

Virgin – 28kg (23kg + extra 5kg because you are carrying sporting equipment)
Qantas – 23kg
Jetstar – 20kg

Exceptions to the above: If you are a gold frequent flyer with Qantas, you get a 32kg baggage allowance. If you book through the Qantas web site and get a codeshare on a Jetstar flight, you still get the Qantas 23kg allowance.

If you are going to be over the weight limit, with Virgin it’s cheaper to prepay on line for the excess baggage, $7/kg vs $10/kg at checkin. I haven’t checked the other two airlines.

If you are close to or slightly over your weight limit, pack heavy stuff eg pedals, helmet, into your carry on – the limit is 7kg but it doesn’t often get checked. However, don’t take tools in your carry on. Things like allen keys won’t get through security.

Packing

I have tried travelling with a Torpedo 7 hard case, a bike shipping box scrounged from the LBS, and a Qantas bike box. The Qantas box was the best of the three, it’s bigger than a shipping box, and at 3.5 kg significantly lighter than the Torpedo 7 case.

To get longer life out of the Qantas box, reinforce the bottom corners and the hand holes in the side with cloth backed tape. The hand holes in particular are prone to getting ripped by the baggage handlers if not reinforced. So far we have done two trips with our Qantas box, and I reckon we will get at least another two out of it. They cost $16.50 and you get them from the sales desk at the airport.

We were able to box the bike by removing pedals, wheels, handlebars and derailleur. If you are tight for space you might want to remove your rotors, as they are pretty easy to bend, and 8" rotors are particularly vunerable. At the very least make sure the wheels are positioned so the rotors are facng the inside of the box. Putting spacers in the brakes is a good idea, and we used some foam tube that bikes ship with from the factory (from the rubbish bin at our LBS), held on with 300mm cable ties to protect the frame from scratches. The cable ties can be unpicked and reused. If you have to put other stuff in with the bike such as a track pump or spare wheel, cable tie it all together to minimise movement and possible damage. Position the wheels with the rotors inwards, and put some extra protection around the ends of hubs, cassettes etc so they don’t punch holes in the side of the box. Put your axle/Maxle back in the forks and rear dropouts to prevent them being crushed. If you dont have a separate axle or Maxle, use some other sort of spacer such as PVC pipe to reduce the liklihood of the rear end and sliders getting crushed from having baggage piled on top of them.

You are supposed to deflate the tyres, at the pressures we run for DH it’s not really an issue but at one airport the baggage handling guy stuck his hand in through the hand hole and gave the tyre a squeeze. We didn’t fully deflate them because we run tubeless, in this case we snuck though.

A $5 Office Works tape dispenser is very useful for repacking the bike, and it even comes with a roll of tape sufficient for one trip. Use heaps of tape, if your cardboard box gets left out in the rain by the baggage handlers, the tape could be the only thing holding it all together.

Insurance

You might want to insure your bike when flying. The extra travel insurance they try to sell you is a waste of money. The Qantas extra insurance for which they charge you $32 only covers the bike up to $500. Bike specific insurance is expensive. The best insurance I could find was to include the bike on the home and contents policy, $66 per year for $4,000 cover.

Other random advice.

If you have to rent a vehicle at the other end, a van is a bit more expensive than a ute, but gives you somewhere out of the sun and rain to work on the bike etc, plus you can lock the bike in it relatively out of sight. A bit of Bunnings rope is handy for tying the bike and other luggage in the back of the van.

Make sure you have ID for kids at checkin at the airport. A Medicare card got us through Jetstar checkin in Adelaide, if I didn’t happen to have that on me T-Rex Junior was looking like having to reassemble his bike and ride it home.

Don’t take too many spare parts to big races eg Nationals. You can get most stuff at the track, often cheaply. We picked up Minions for $40 each at Adelaide, and everything else we saw was reasonably priced.

That’s it Rotorburners, I hope if you are flying with your DH bike any time soon you can find something useful in this thread.

Last edited:

D.Norton

Likes Dirt
Awesome! Thanks for those tips, i will need them come late april for my gap year.

Another trick i have heard is to remove your tyres for the flight and just buy new ones at your destination; it removes about 2.4Kg's (for maxxis DH tyres a tleast), and you can buy the correct tyres for the terrain at your destination.

Again thanks very much

Kingswood

Likes Dirt
I would also suggest packing the bike in a way so that it can withstand being put on it's side. Imagine your bike box on it's side with 400 kilos of other baggage on top of it.
For this reason I usually take my rotors off, and put pieces of PVC pipe between the rear drop outs and fork legs so they cant get pressed together.

I remember StevenW posting up some pics of Rhys's bikes that got squashed in a plane.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Thanks so much for this thread! Looking for info like this was a bitch, but now it should be a lot easier. Sticky worthy?

T-Rex

Template denier
I would also suggest packing the bike in a way so that it can withstand being put on it's side. Imagine your bike box on it's side with 400 kilos of other baggage on top of it.
For this reason I usually take my rotors off, and put pieces of PVC pipe between the rear drop outs and fork legs so they cant get pressed together.

I remember StevenW posting up some pics of Rhys's bikes that got squashed in a plane.
You've made a couple of good points here Kingswood, I'll amend the post. Thanks.

LeeD

Likes Dirt
As was pointed out to me recently.
If your traveling nationally ship your bike early via road.
less hassle, easy check in & no extra baggage charges

T-Rex

Template denier
As was pointed out to me recently.
If your traveling nationally ship your bike early via road.
less hassle, easy check in & no extra baggage charges
Can you provide more detail especially on what you mean by "travelling nationally"? My only experience shipping a bike was a BMX from Sydney to Hobart, it cost $120. So far we have not paid any excess baggage costs when flying, and have not had any real hassles. Can you recommend any road shippers?

houli77

Likes Dirt
i recently travelled back from USA with a Session 88 via NZ.

Air New Zealand allow 30kg and were great, however i had one connecting flight from Seattle to LA via United Airlines.

Even though it was on an Air NZ ticket they charged me their "standard fee" - $150

Not even cause i was overweight. just cause they are C^NTS.. my bike box was 22kg.

standard charge was introduced for bike boxes after i purchased my ticket.. argued hardcore with those F%^&wits.

at one point i told them was going to buy a second ticket for $375 and assemble my bike and strap it into the seat next to me.

they didn't like that.

United can suck my $%^%!! I posted on pinkbike and mtbr all about this when it happened so i hope i did my bit to f%^& their business.

On a side note - i'm so on the hunt for cheap Queenstown tickets through Air NZ. i only had a couple of days there and there is soooo much good riding. heard rumours of like $250 - $300 return flights in off season. you can pedal from town to DH trails in like 2 min. :D

Mugger

Senir oMermber
Can anyone help me out with V australia deal with bikes, I rang up and girl explained something to do with bike being under a certain weight and its free?

Last edited:

T-Rex

Template denier
V Australia baggage limits

Can anyone help me out with V australia deal with bikes, I rang up and girl explained something to do with bike being under a certain weight and its free?
Check out this link to their web site:

http://www.vaustralia.com.au/before-you-fly/baggage-dangerous-goods/oversized-baggage/index.htm

In summary, my understanding of what they are saying is that the bike in it's box is sporting equipment, and you get a free baggage allowance of up to 32KG for sporting equipment. Therefore you should put the bike, tools and anything else you can't take as carry on into the bike box, but make sure you don't go over 32kg.

You should double check what I have suggested with the V Australia call centre, before you rock up to check in.

rabatt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
last time i flew with virgin it was a bike box (under a certain weight, forget what) only used 5kg of your allowed 23kgs of baggage. so you had another 18kg left for your normal carry on, for this reason i nearly always fly virgin.

however someone said it changed recently?

dazz

Downhill Dazz
last time i flew with virgin it was a bike box (under a certain weight, forget what) only used 5kg of your allowed 23kgs of baggage. so you had another 18kg left for your normal carry on, for this reason i nearly always fly virgin.

however someone said it changed recently?
That is correct. Virgin used to have an awesome deal and is the reason we used them to go race in Tassie a few years back. A quick check of their website shows that they now only give an extra 5kg on top of the allowed 23kg for sporting eqquipment which is nowhere near as good as thier old deal, but still better than the other airlines. Plus I like Virgins hiring policys over the others too... ;)

sleight

Likes Bikes
thanks for the tips

hey thanks heaps for those tips mate, I always have similar problems when i'm transporting my bike on the plane between races.
I also have the Torpedo 7 hard case and think that it does the job ok but could probably be a bit lighter.

SpecialFx

Likes Dirt
try Garuda Indonesia Airlines if u guys wanted to go to Indonesia and bring ur bikes,, it gives an extra 15KG for sports equipment..
cheers....:rolleyes:

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Some great tips there. Newbie question here - any prep work required to be done on the forks, shocks when packing as well?

T-Rex

Template denier
Newbie question here - any prep work required to be done on the forks, shocks when packing as well?
Just make sure you put the axle back in the forks, so the lowers can't get crushed. No need to drain oil or release air pressure.