That time of year... the snakes are out!!

Ben-e

Captain Critter!
Was riding in the Blue Mountains and came across two massive brown snakes. I actually had to bunny hop over one as I came around a turn and didnt see it, but the thing was shit-scared (we both were), so really its best just to give them some space. If you threaten them, they're gonna get angry!

rotorub

Likes Dirt
I hate snakes. I do more road riding in Summer and more MTB in winter somewhat for that reason.
But am itching to go for a MTB ride of late.

I read on the net snakes are most dangerous in spring and early summer due to comming out of hibernation looking for food and a mate?

However I also read that snakes in NSW (except the alps and higland regions) dont hibernate. Its just that they are are less active in winter?

Whats true?

Alas maybe its time to move to Ireland or NZ Bro!

MATTY R

Likes Dirt
ive been mountain biking for 15 years and have only ever seen 5 snakes, but yesterday on my roadie I saw 2 decent sized red belly blacks. I ran one over (my bunnie hopping skills on the roadie suck!) and then about 500m later stopped to let a big one get of the track. Scared the crap out of me!

Exie

Likes Dirt
I'm not a fan of snakes. Frankly I couldn't tell them apart.

So is it worth re-capping what to do if you get bitten out on the trail ?

I've read about "keep your heart rate low" ... but chances are you're pumping with adrenalin, so you get back on the bike and ride out ? or walk ? isn't riding more efficient than walking ?

Apparently those "snake bite kits" are crap and you should just get to a hospital. Whats to go ?

cressa

Likes Dirt
I passed a brown snake today out riding and a big carpet two weeks ago. Welcome to snake season. Always happy to see a carpet snake browns though can go to hell.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
Holy dooly! What is that - like 2m long!

Bit over a meter maybe a meter and a half. It's really easy to over estimate the length of a snake for some reason/ I think snakes have the own version of the pink bike ruler:single_eye:

I'm not a fan of snakes. Frankly I couldn't tell them apart.

So is it worth re-capping what to do if you get bitten out on the trail ?

I've read about "keep your heart rate low" ... but chances are you're pumping with adrenalin, so you get back on the bike and ride out ? or walk ? isn't riding more efficient than walking ?

Apparently those "snake bite kits" are crap and you should just get to a hospital. Whats to go ?

Some general advise noting that I'm not an expert and If you ride in the bush and haven't done a first aid course you really should.

The venom travels through your lymphatic system. This basically gets pumped around by moving muscles therefore it's vital to keep the victim as still as possible. the more you move, ie trying to ride or walk out, the faster the venom will get pumped around your system.
You should try and remain calm. Remember more people die in Australia from Bee and wasp stings than they do from snake bites, probably due to effective first aid. A lot of bites don't show any sign of envenomation at allso stay calm but treat it.
You should carry a compression bandage.

Starting just above the bite you want to bandage down the limb (Although some people are now recommending just starting at the tips of fingers or toes and bandaging up) then all the way back up. You want the bandage firm but not cutting off the blood. The lympth system is low pressure and close to the surface, they say about the same tightness as you would for a sprained ankle or wrist.

If you have a pen mark the bite site on the bandage (that way the hospital can just cut a bit away to do a venom test rather that take the whole bandage off) and also the date and time.

There is a good bicycling australia article about snake safety here http://bicyclingaustralia.com/node/145

The only bit I'd disagree with is "If at all possible, identify the type of snake that did the damage. Note colour, size, shape of head and so on." That's all well a good but colour especially is next to useless in IDing a snake and the doctor in casualty is likely to have as little idea as you so by the time you convince him it was a king brown (or more properly call a Mulga, a member of the black snake family) 100s of kms outside there actual range the venom detection kit will have told him it was Copperhead. Sure grab a photo and and description if you can do so with out putting you or the victim in anymore danger but I'd rather concentrate on getting the bandage on and the ambos called.

and a good first aid article here http://www.workingwithwildlife.com.au/downloads/WwW-First-Aid-Sheet.pdf

Last edited:

Exie

Likes Dirt
Some general advise noting that I'm not an expert and If you ride in the bush and haven't done a first aid course you really should.

The venom travels through your lymphatic system. This basically gets pumped around by moving muscles therefore it's vital to keep the victim as still as possible. the more you move, ie trying to ride or walk out, the faster the venom will get pumped around your system.
You should try and remain calm. Remember more people die in Australia from Bee and wasp stings than they do from snake bites, probably due to effective first aid. A lot of bites don't show any sign of envenomation at allso stay calm but treat it.
You should carry a compression bandage.

Starting just above the bite you want to bandage down the limb (Although some people are now recommending just starting at the tips of fingers or toes and bandaging up) then all the way back up. You want the bandage firm but not cutting off the blood. The lympth system is low pressure and close to the surface, they say about the same tightness as you would for a sprained ankle or wrist.

If you have a pen mark the bite site on the bandage (that way the hospital can just cut a bit away to do a venom test rather that take the whole bandage off) and also the date and time.
Thanks dude, I do carry a compression bandage so good to know what its for. I chatting to riding buddy today when we were out, even the obvious things like knowing where you are, and where major roads or houses are if you need help.

I should probably do a first aid course one day, but I'm pretty icky when it comes to blood and stuff.

Bjorn

Likes Dirt
All good advice from The Cat. I would reiterate, avoid moving; get out your phone and call for help or failing that, send for help. If you ride by yourself, without a phone or distress beacon; good luck. (Hell, we all do it at times.)
Snakes don't actually hibernate in winter they just slow their metabolism right down, apparently that's a difference.

I got put onto these new bandages by another outdoor type. http://www.bsar.org/setopress

thecat

Snakes don't actually hibernate in winter they just slow their metabolism right down, apparently that's a difference.[/url]
Yeah in reptiles it's called brumation and is slightly different from true hibernation. With Brumation they slow right down and "sleep" but they still need to drink and deficate so will wake up and move around a bit but wont be actively hunting.

thecat

I should probably do a first aid course one day, but I'm pretty icky when it comes to blood and stuff.
They don't actually spray you with blood on the course:very_drunk:

The good thing about having a volunteer first aid certificate is that you will know what to do but being a volunteer you have no obligation to get involved in helping someone if you are not up for it.

thecat

That's a gorgeous snake Flynny, copperhead is it?...I've never come across a copperhead...been dodging shinglebacks all over the place recently...
Eastern Brown, dave.

Would have thought copperheads would be plentiful out your way..Though it might be a bit dry for them. Use to see them occasionally out the back of the highwall but hat was a bit swampy

Wolfgang D

Likes Dirt
within a week I've found a decent sized copperhead and really decent sized brown snake in our 5 acre block...
here comes summer!

Last edited:

Wolfgang D

Likes Dirt
within a week I've found a decent sized copperhead and a really decent sized brown snake on our 5 acre block.
both were great to watch, nearly stepped on the copperhead though!
Here comes summer i guess!

Bjorn

Likes Dirt
Yeah in reptiles it's called brumation and is slightly different from true hibernation. With Brumation they slow right down and "sleep" but they still need to drink and deficate so will wake up and move around a bit but wont be actively hunting.
Thanks The Cat, I should have known the Farkin' brains trust would have an answer.

Was out at Radar Hill today and copped an eyeful of a decent sized goanna not far out from the car park, on the way back got a lovely surprise from a snake which helped me power up the hill a little faster ;) I ride solo most of the time so while it is of concern i sort of look at it in the same respect as surfers do sharks.

Escapegoat

Escapegoat
Here is one for you- I filmed this last week up at Melrose- didn't really see what happened, or worry too much about it until I slowed down the film, and realised how lucky Sonia was!

[video=youtube;Y3sdjL0cWWQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3sdjL0cWWQ[/video]