Tektro Auriga brakes

hakka

Likes Dirt
I bought a Giant Talon 4 to ride to work, it has these brakes.

Just wondering if anyone's had any experience with them and if there's anything I can do to make them work? At the moment the only way I can stop in a hurry is to run into a solid object.

stirk

Burner
Assuming you bought new from a shop take the bike back, tell them the brakes don't work and haggle a deal on shimanos.

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The brakes aren't brilliant, but they are hydros and shouldn't just "not work" without a reason.
As mentioned, take it back to the shop and get them to look at it, assuming you bought it new.
I'm going with they need a bleed (air in lines) or contaminated pads / rotors, you can chase these down yourself if you didn't buy it new. If you can isolate the problem, all good, but they are a basic brake, and upgrading to current Deore would be better investment of time and $

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I bought a Giant Talon 4 to ride to work, it has these brakes.

Just wondering if anyone's had any experience with them and if there's anything I can do to make them work? At the moment the only way I can stop in a hurry is to run into a solid object.
I had these brakes on my hardtail for years and they worked quite well...definately had stopping power. Sounds like you've got an issue with your set.

BTW if anyone wants my old Tektro brakes they can have them for free (PM me)...levers, hoses and calipers are in good condition. Still have the original pads in the calipers but they are stuffed.

Last edited:

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I have found them to occasionally be a bit low on juice from the factory. Top them up, give the pads a bit of a scuff on some sandpaper to remove any possible manufacturing residue and aid bedding in & they should come up OK. They're not face-bendingly amazing brakes, but they're on par with lower-spec Shimanos.

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have found them to occasionally be a bit low on juice from the factory. Top them up, give the pads a bit of a scuff on some sandpaper to remove any possible manufacturing residue and aid bedding in & they should come up OK. They're not face-bendingly amazing brakes, but they're on par with lower-spec Shimanos.
Good idea to give the pads a bit of a scuff. I recall my set of brakes had residue on the rotors + pads when new. I found a steep hill and spent some time doing multiple hard stops to get some heat through them, they came good pretty quickly.

Mafra

Likes Bikes
Hakka - these use the same pads as the Hy-Rd do, the stock pads are pretty ordinary.

Sounds like a trip back to the lbs is in order from the issue you're having, but down the track i'd seriously consider a pad upgrade.
I've gone to SwissStop on my cx, but they are pretty pricey for a commuter - shimano pads would almost certainly be an improvement also.

I had these on a bike I brought second hand and they never worked right. They would bind and squeal regardless of adjustment.
I found it really hard to find information on them or source a rebuild kit.
I ended ditching them to the parts bin.