Tasmania to Subsidise E-Bike Purchases

oldcorollas

Levin the moment
12% of purchase price up to:
  • a maximum of $250 for personal mobility devices (skateboards and scooters)
  • a maximum of $500 for e‑bikes
  • a maximum of $1,000 for cargo e-bikes.

eligibility https://recfit.tas.gov.au/e-transport/guidelines_e-mobility

2.1 Ineligible applicants
The following devices are not eligible:
  • devices that exceed a speed of 25km per hour when powered by the motor on level ground
  • a bicycle with an auxiliary motor(s) with a power output or combined power output of more than 250 watts
does 250W knock out many mtb options?

bigdamo

Likes Dirt
"
What e-bikes are eligible?
An e-bike (regular or cargo-sized) is defined under the Vehicle and Traffic Act 1999 and Road Rules 2019 as either:

• a bicycle with an auxiliary motor(s) with a power output or combined power output of not more than 200 watts"
200 Watts yep that will get you powering up the mountains in Tassie real quick.

oldcorollas

Levin the moment
"
What e-bikes are eligible?
An e-bike (regular or cargo-sized) is defined under the Vehicle and Traffic Act 1999 and Road Rules 2019 as either:

• a bicycle with an auxiliary motor(s) with a power output or combined power output of not more than 200 watts"
200 Watts yep that will get you powering up the mountains in Tassie real quick.
that's for ones you don't need to pedal

mtbs would be:
"a ‘power-assisted pedal cycle’ as defined by the relevant Australian Design Rule (ADR), which is a maximum continued power output of 250 watts that progressively reduces as the cycle’s speed increases, and cuts off where the cycle reaches a speed of 25km per hour or the cyclist stops pedalling "

oldcorollas

Levin the moment
Thanks Tasmania for jacking up the prices of e-bikes for the rest of us. Jerks!
may jack up their local prices (or reduce local discounts) but....

if the prices/discounts stay sensible.. and you're going to tassie to ride anyway.... and a 'Burners grandma hasn't used her discount yet..... (she's unlikely to be getting an e-skateboard or monocycle...)

Coopz

Likes Dirt
It became part of Australia in 2004 :)

For years mainland Aus was trying to push Tassie to Antarctica, NZ... wherever.
Next thing Princess Mary comes along and the ball lickers announced 'The Australian Princess', Tassie got rope around it and tugged back.
I'm sure 80% of Australians couldn't find Denmark on the map even if it was on fire..

Jabubu

let you google that for me
Hopefully yes, it's a good policy if it's getting people out of cars but shouldn't really be subsidising e-mtbs which are 99% of the time used for recreational purposes.
Agreed - the number of cargo bikes, delivery bikes, e-commuter bikes etc on paths, bike lanes and roads in France, Italy and Germany blew my mind. I even took a few e-scooter rides to get groceries in Germany, so easy!

bigdamo

Likes Dirt
Hopefully yes, it's a good policy if it's getting people out of cars but shouldn't really be subsidising e-mtbs which are 99% of the time used for recreational purposes.
What about those who use their e-mtb to ride from their residence to the trails or ride to their friends place or to the cafe instead of using their car or the other bloke I know who uses his e-mtb to ride to work and back then on weekends he takes his e-mtb out on the trails.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
What about those who use their e-mtb to ride from their residence to the trails or ride to their friends place or to the cafe instead of using their car or the other bloke I know who uses his e-mtb to ride to work and back then on weekends he takes his e-mtb out on the trails.
In the minority I'd say. I know more of them who drive short distances to trail heads than the other way around.

Would probably make sense to extend it to all bikes if we are going down this path.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Well, some will be used for a car substitute, especially the city bikes, not so much the mountain bikes, though I use mine to commute to work on and I know of a few others that do as well. It's also why the cargo bike is double the incentive.
Would probably make sense to extend it to all bikes if we are going down this path.
Yes, that would make more sense, but I suppose it's a bit of a tag on to the EV rebate scheme, but the use of any bikes should be encouraged, before EVs.
1704687312034.png

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Marketing and greenwashing.

Bureaucrats been told ebikes can replace cars. Regular bikes, whoever wants to ride one already rides one.

Just means all qualifying ebikes go up by 12% for the Tassie brothers.

Jabubu

let you google that for me
Marketing and greenwashing.

Bureaucrats been told e-bikes can replace cars. Regular bikes, whoever wants to ride one already rides one.

Just means all qualifying e-bikes go up by 12% for the Tassie brothers.
Bureaucrats have been told e-bikes can replace some journeys that were previously made with cars. But they have to come to the table with effective infrastructure including bike storage, bike paths and safer crossings.

ozzybmx

Not really the tassie govt is giving the rebate. The bike shops are not. Plus the rebate finishes the end of this month or next month.
Same as when the local Govs announced the $3000 sweetener for EVs, EV prices jumped $3000 magically, same with the solar rebate, prices jumped exactly by the rebate amount.

ozzybmx

Bureaucrats have been told e-bikes can replace some journeys that were previously made with cars. But they have to come to the table with effective infrastructure including bike storage, bike paths and safer crossings.
As I said, marketing and greenwashing, bureaucrats being fed shit, throw cash with no action.