tall guys please - riding position. is XL really necessary?

mangool

Likes Bikes
Was in a bike shop today and saw the stumpy 29er FSR expert in Large, and it looked BIG!
I'm looking at getting a new bike myself, and im 6"5. I like a low riding position and riding fast, so im just wondering whether getting an XL frame is really the right thing to do.
Large frames are already big, and tall. Apart from the obvious benefit of an XL being the longer wheelbase, wouldn't they also be more top heavy/higher center of gravity, and thus more unstable?

not to mention bigger falls from a bigger bike!

i just put a deposit on an XL frame, but now im thinking i only want a large!

Last edited:

MARKL

Eats Squid
I always debate between the Large and the XL but at 6'2' I am only a short arse. The issue I find with some Large frames is that the length of the top tube is relatively short which makes for a very upright riding positionBasically the longer the top tube the more stretched out you are and therefore your riding positon is lower. The other thing that happens with some frames is that you end up with a ridiculouly amount of seat post exposed (see my XC bike for that) to get to an efficient pedalling position. IMO if your after a low riding position, at your height, I would be getting the XL.

October26

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's all about how you feel on the bike, personal preference.

I'm 6'5" tall and would never ride a L size bike. Have done in the past and it was never quite comfortable.
XL for me. DH and XC!

Oh and lots of people will tell you you don't need an XL, ask them how tall they are before you consider their opinion.

wattieez

Likes Dirt
at 6'5 i don't think top heavy is really an issue so a larger bike isn't going to be a problem..
i'm 6'3 and whilst not as tall as you, don't really notice the height of a larger bike

nikmcc

Likes Dirt
I'm 6'4" and ride a large spesh enduro. I've often thought I should've gone XL...

But then I got a reverb seat post. problem solved. Sure my seat is stupidly high for the climbs, but when I drop it I can take advantage of a slightly smaller frame for the descents.

I'm happy to make the slight sacrifice on climbs for the gain on the downhill bits. But that's my style of riding.

I guess for all round comfort you'll be happier on the XL.

When 29ers start coming in 6"travel I'd be very tempted. It would be nice to have a Bike that feels more "in between" the wheels as appose to "on top" like most L/XL 26" bikes.

My dh Bike feels prefect in L, but that's a different story all together...

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

PDub

Likes Bikes
Big units need a big unit

I reckon you're best off choosing frame sizes based on top tube length in the usual way. Don't be put off if the bike looks big - you are pretty tall after all! A big frame won't make much difference at all to being top heavy - that's mostly determined by bb height and it won't vary much whether you ride 26 or 29 or a frame three sizes too small.

I'd be very surprised if a L would be big enough for you. I'm a mere 6' 4.5" and my latest toy is an XXL Turner Sultan which has an effective top tube length of 643mm. I wouldn't want it any shorter. The XL stumpy FSR is in the same class of bike and has almost the same ETT length (speshy website says 648mm). They are 'trail' bikes though - you're not likely to want a long, low race position on that kind of bike.

If you go shorter, sure you'll get something with a shorter wheelbase that might be ever so slightly more maneuvreable in the tightest spots, but you'll also have a cramped cockpit with goofy weight distribution. Riding frames that are too small for any length of time gives me a sore back. For just about any XC/trail riding you'll quickly adjust your technique to 'monster' sized frames.

The times when it might make sense to go for something on the smaller side of a comfy fit is on DJ or DH bikes when you aren't really interested in sitting and pedalling for long stretches. For those applications, a bike that's easier to throw around might be worth the trade off.

Also, remember that having a lot of seat post sticking out puts extra stress on your frame at the TT/ST junction. I've cracked a frame that way.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am a shorty at 6"3, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I'd give a +1 to recommending an XL.

I don't think your riding position and comfort would be compromised by the extra size, and in my own experience, I am glad that I switched from a 19" to a 21" between 6"1' and 6"3'.

Could this sudden worry be due to the fact that you've just put your money down too? You'll love your new bike regardless ;)

Binaural

Eats Squid
Depends how your body length is approportined. I'm also 6'5, but I've got proportionally long arms (7' wingspan) and a long torso, so I tend to err on the larger side in order to get the right length. Regarding that particular bike, I rode the 26" version in large for a day in Wales, and it was fine on a very technical and twisty trail. Looking back, a bit more size might have helped on the climbs, but your choices with hire bikes are limited!

mangool

Likes Bikes
thanks to all you big lads!

it makes sense to me now that a shorter top tube means you're actually higher - not lower - on the bike because to squeeze into the smaller length frame you sit more vertical, rather than lowering yourself to 'reach' for the handlebars on a longer frame.

yes mattydiv you're spot on. but after all these replies i'm very happy with my choice. 2011 XL stumpy here i come wooooo
now its just a matter of getting it from QLD to VIC. maybe coach freight, its only $90.00

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
I ride XL, and I'm 6'2". Check your inseam though - Do you have short legs? Even if you do, I still bet you'd probably be best off on an XL. You are extremely tall.

EDIT: There are plenty of options for freight, lots of people use Greyhound I think. Do a search?

jim17

Likes Bikes
I'm 6'5 and I have found that I'm just to tall for a large in any bike, I recommend the XL.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am 6'3 and found the large frame too small. It was ridable and more comfy with a longer stem but never felt right. I could also feel the knees after a decent ride. I am on my second XL Bike at the moment and find the GT force has a really good riding position for me.

I once had a bike shop try and tell me I need a med frame :suspicion:

Dh Rasta

Likes Dirt
I'm 6'3" and I ride a medium frame on my dh bike (which is pretty crazy for my size, but it doesn't feel that bad) but I suppose the geometry on an xc would differ. See if you can take one for a spin before buying so you can decide if that size is necessary for your riding style.

cressa

Likes Dirt
6'5" here and have always rode L downhill bikes and now have XL AM bike. I was considering a large AM frame for much the same reasons as you describe but glad I stuck with what was recommended. XL is great, I have never felt more at home on a bike.

Funny story. I once went over the bars on my L downhill bike pedalling out of the start gate - my short leg got caught on my shifter and screwed me over. Very embarrasing:eek:range: