Taberlay touches base after first World Cup

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
Tasmanian mountain bike rider, Sid Taberlay claims he was a little worried before racing the first World Cup Cross Country event in Houffalize, Belgium last weekend. After spending two weeks prior to the race in perfect sunshine, Taberlay was pessimistic about conditions during the race.

“So often the weather is good leading into the race and it changes for the worst the day or night before the race,” Taberlay explained.
Much to Taberlay’s surprise the sun gods stayed out leaving the technical, climbing course full of braking bumps and dust.

“This year’s course added another climb and descent to previous years, making it even harder,” he said.
Taberlay started mid-pack in 66th position. This was due to a poor season last year. It was always going to be hard for him to get anywhere near the front. Sid had a reasonable start, moving up to 30th by the end of the start loop and first lap.

Then it all changed. “Perhaps I got a little excited trying to get onto the back of a group on a quick descent,” said Taberlay. “I found myself at the bottom of the descent with my bike still at the top!”

After loosing places and suffering gear trouble for the rest of the race, Taberlay eventually finished in 44th place.

The outlook is still good according to Taberlay, “At least I move up on the start line for the next World Cup in Germany at the end of May.”

How the other Australian’s faired:
23 Chris Jongewaard (Aus) Dolphin Bike Team
63 Daniel McConnell (Aus)
77 Lachlan Norris (Aus)
96 Shaun Lewis (Aus)

For more info go to www.cyclingnews.com or www.nissan-ucimtbworldcup.com

Sharon Payne
Media Manager
Mountain Bike Australia