Sydney Commute: Greenacre to City

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
so, shortly moving to Greenacre (near Roberts Rd) and have just started a job where cycling is supported (showers and bike cage and lockers!!) so thinking about commuting by bike - also to give me some training which would be difficult otherwise.

I am wanting to stay on bike paths as much as possible, particularly once it starts getting darker to avoid the menace that is Sydney commuter drivers.

It seems the 2 main routes are to get up to concord and head straight through five dock to lilyfield, anzac bridge then in OR to find my way to the cooks river cycleway and ride until summer hill/marrickville, head through the streets up to the canal path up to lilyfield then into the city,

the first option would have a lot of roads, but generally wider ones and fairly quiet whereas the second option I think would have fewer roads, but probably narrower ones.

does anybody have any other ideas? anybody do a similar commute?

proph

Squid
Ask one of the local bike shops they should know some good routes into town if you are a bit stumped from aropund concord ask the guys out at burwood cycles or ashfield cycles. they should know good back streets into the city.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
My girlfriend commutes on the Concord, Five Dock route to her work. If you use the semi-official Five Dock cycle route there's a lot of stopping and starting to cross roads and turn. She's looking at using Concord Rd, Gipps St and Queens Rd to cut down on that.

McBain

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I ride through these areas a bit - both for commuting (from Summer Hill) and to get around.

You've got the two choices you've mentioned, plus all the way along the Cooks River path to Tempe and then past the airport and into the city. That works better if you are heading to the South or East of the city though.

If you don't want a fast door-to-door path, I reckon a low traffic option is:

1. along the CR bike path to Hurlstone Park
  2. chuck a left between the tennis courts onto Tennant St instead of crossing the wooden bridge (which was damn slippery this morning, much to the surprise of the Scottish chick out running :))
  3. up the steep pinch on Garnet to New Canterbury
  4. cross onto Union, through to Windsor at the weird roundabout
  5. over Old Canterbury onto Spencer
  6. right onto Smith, through the roundabout and under the railway
  7. immediately cut right and onto the canal path. That'll take you up and over Parramatta Rd and then to Hawthorne and the rest is commuter mayhem ...
The CR path can be a real pain when all the walkers are out with their dogs. So sunny mornings, and after about 6pm, and can really slow things down as they meander brainlessly.

My girlfriend commutes on the Concord, Five Dock route to her work. If you use the semi-official Five Dock cycle route there's a lot of stopping and starting to cross roads and turn. She's looking at using Concord Rd, Gipps St and Queens Rd to cut down on that.
There's a few different ways through Concord. I use parts of the signposted route, but vary it a bit depending on mood or if riding with others. The Gipps/Queens route, following the old marathon course, is ok, but can be a bit hectic in traffic. I don't mind mixing it up with cars, but the differences in speed along there isn't always fun.

scoobydid

Likes Dirt
Had a look at Bikely and found this route:

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Bankstown-Condell-Park-to-Haymarket-City-Sydney.

If you try this route you'll probably want to skip the first half of notes and start it at the Belfield/Strathfield section. From Roberts Rd you don't have too much choice when trying to get to the Cooks River Cycleway; it's either along Liverpool Rd (Hume Highway) or Georges River Road. Unfortunately, the old rail line intersects your path and I don't know any other (quieter) way around it. Stay on the footpath if you're uncomfortable riding the highway. On the highway side the Cooks River Cycleway should be just down the hill from Strathfield Golf Course, McDonalds and the Mobil service station.

I would recommend checking out the options before you actually start your commute; maybe ride it over a few different weekends if you get the chance. This way you gain familiarity with the route/s. The last thing you want is to make wrong turns etc and end up getting to work late.

Louman

Likes Bikes
I come in from Newington and I take this route to the CBD. This keeps you out of heavy traffic and it's on/off designated bike path.

_http://connect.garmin.com/activity/21185174

This may help if you come through Concord from Strathfield.

McBain

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I come in from Newington and I take this route to the CBD.
Pretty similar to the way I usually ride through there, although when heading to the City, I turn off Lyons Rd at the roundabout onto Harris and then left into Henry.

Right hand turns across traffic are usually a pain, and roundabouts make them slightly easier (so long as you don't ignore the 4WD coming at you).

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Get outta my suburb *shakes fist*.
Actually Louman I'll have to try your way from Concord West through to Ian Pde, I usually go all the way around the golf course on Majors Bay and Yaralla, old habits I guess...
The roundabout at Harris/Lyons is precarious if you're sluggish up the hill, I do find it easier to cross just near Great North Rd as you can wait for the traffic to bank up at lights and pick the gap.

McBain

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Snuck through there twice last night without you catching us.
Actually Louman I'll have to try your way from Concord West through to Ian Pde, I usually go all the way around the golf course on Majors Bay and Yaralla, old habits I guess...
I sometimes also cross Concord Rd on Yaralla, then up Cumming and into Links. Quiet suburban streets that way.
The roundabout at Harris/Lyons is precarious if you're sluggish up the hill
It was precarious last night, with a driver deciding to use it for a U-turn without indicating as we were powering up the hill and into it ...

Dumbellina

Likes Dirt
Several routes (from Lakemba)
Airport - via a number of roads that parallel the Cooks River Cycleway (not the best commuting route with dogs, pedestrians) to Tempe through park to Qantas Drive cycleway, Coward Street, Bourke Rd, Redfern, City (about 20 km, dead flat, very fast, 42 minutes from Lakemba)

Newtown - via Campsie, Croydon Park, Ashbury, Ashfield, Summer Hill, Petersham, Stanmore, Newtown, Wilson Street (about 16 km, some hills and traffic, fast sections, about 36 minutes from Lakemba)

Concord via Homebush, Concord, Five Dock, Anzac Bridge (about 25 km, some small climbs and traffic, generally flat and fast, about 60 min)

There are other variations - eg continuing along Coward Street and linking up with routes around Kingsford and Centennial Park; or extending the Concord route to include Olympic Park and Rhodes/Meadowbank.

PM if you want a riding buddy

Louman

Likes Bikes
The roundabout at Harris/Lyons is precarious if you're sluggish up the hill, I do find it easier to cross just near Great North Rd as you can wait for the traffic to bank up at lights and pick the gap.
Hahaha - been sneaking pass there many a years now. Yeah round about is precarious the later you ride, go earlier and it's quieter. I usually power up it making sure I stay in front of a vehicle before the round about.

Been off the bike the last couple of days as I got cleaned up Wednesday morning on the way in to work. First time being knocked off in over 15 years of riding. Apparently, Lilyfield Rd is a black spot for cyclist.

See link.

_http://connect.garmin.com/activity/22766781

Check out the last spike in graph before it flat lines to zero. I couldn't believe I was travelling at that speed when I got hit!

Apologies in advance for the long post.

So basically, riding ahead of 2 others in the bike lane on Lilyfield Rd and approaching Denison St, this car was beside me just around the left bend about 15m before Denison St. Thinking nothing of it, it suddenly started turning left into me. I realised that I could not brake in time nor take evasive action. I hit the a-pillar before going over the bonnet and landing on the road head first before bouncing off into the garden medium strip at the intersection. Friggin swore my head off after realising that I was killed and didn't have any broken limbs. Luckily the 2 blokes behind me witnessed the whole thing. Went to hospital to get checked out and got the all clear. The outcome - a graze to the left middle finger and grazers to the right knee and a bit of bruising to the right forearm and shoulder. The neck and lower back is a bit still from the impact. Man - I consider that I was very fortunate to escape from this one. To make matters worse, the person at fault did not see me and doesn't have insurance to cover the smashed helmet and wrecked bike. This is being settled amicably at present.

_http://s462.photobucket.com/albums/qq349/Butters72/1st%20Road%20Bike%20Accident/

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The outcome - a graze to the left middle finger
I have an image of you flying over the bonnet, showing the driver your middle finger on the way through...

Good to hear you aren't hurt *too* badly. I saw a rider down on the M2 this morning at the Lane Cove Road exit and I have to admit it makes me think about commuting (ie whether it is a good idea or not) - also another reason why I am trying to seek a minimal traffic route.

Hope the recovery goes well.

Thanks to everyone for the advice/options. I will have to try a few on the weekends and then commuting to see which works best.

Louman

Likes Bikes
I have an image of you flying over the bonnet, showing the driver your middle finger on the way through...

Good to hear you aren't hurt *too* badly. I saw a rider down on the M2 this morning at the Lane Cove Road exit and I have to admit it makes me think about commuting (ie whether it is a good idea or not) - also another reason why I am trying to seek a minimal traffic route.

Hope the recovery goes well.

Thanks to everyone for the advice/options. I will have to try a few on the weekends and then commuting to see which works best.
Cheers - thanks Dain!

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
Hahaha - been sneaking pass there many a years now. Yeah round about is precarious the later you ride, go earlier and it's quieter. I usually power up it making sure I stay in front of a vehicle before the round about.

Been off the bike the last couple of days as I got cleaned up Wednesday morning on the way in to work. First time being knocked off in over 15 years of riding. Apparently, Lilyfield Rd is a black spot for cyclist.

See link.

_http://connect.garmin.com/activity/22766781

Check out the last spike in graph before it flat lines to zero. I couldn't believe I was travelling at that speed when I got hit!
Good to see you're ok... I've never had (or seen) an accident at that point but its one of those places that never felt 'safe'. Now I know why!