Switching to a shorter eye-to-eye shock?

bens109

Likes Dirt
Ok tell me if I'm on the wrong track here but is it possible to use a shock with a shorter or longer eye-to-eye length if it has the same stroke? As far as I can make out this would change the geom like using longer or shorter forks but would keep the same rear travel (unless the frame hits or something).

RaID

Likes Bikes and Dirt
in theory yes

in practice you might find some shortcomings as you mentioned

generally shorter shocks will slacken your ha and lower the bb height

bens109

Likes Dirt
Hmmmm the possible shortcomings have me worried. I was thinking of switching out the 9x2.75 Swinger 6-way on my 06 DH Comp for a 8.75x2.75 DHX 5.0

Has anyone here tired this or heard about anyone that has?

ollybev

Likes Dirt
your travel will be shortened as i guess you can relise, my dh comp had troubles of when fully compressed the rear wheel hit the seat, and with less travel it will be coming for that seat alot quicker and you will probably bottom out quicker, with less sag due to the shorter shock you may find rock gardens a bit tuffer etc
any one correct me if im wrong

Sov

Likes Dirt
I was thinking of switching out the 9x2.75 Swinger 6-way on my 06 DH Comp for a 8.75x2.75 DHX 5.0
Take out your current rear shock and let your rear tyre rest against the seat tube. Then measure the distance between the two shock mounting points. If it's less than or equal to 6 inches you should be ok to use an 8.75x2.75 shock. Even if it isn't, you could just make up a small spacer to sit under the bump stop to reduce the travel a little.

Last edited:

Slowman

Likes Dirt
Never tried it but you will lose some travel, it would be like some extra sag that you won't get back. What is going to happen at the bottom end will be interesting. Fortunately the eye to eye difference isn't that great so maybe you can ramp up the preload to stop the shock from getting towards the bottom of its travel. If you are handy mechanically you might look at modifying the shock and adding washer 0.25 thick restrict the stroke to just 2.50. That said, why screw with what works? Sounds like it could all end up an ugly compromise.

Without the shock mounted (but starting at 9" eye to eye) you can see what the frame will do when fully compressed. If that amount of stroke travel is actually more than 2.75" and say 3+" then you should be fine. The shock can bottom out and the frame will still not have it reached the limit of its movement. Again though, why reduce your travel?

Barrington

Likes Dirt
i have an 06 mongoose black diamond triple, with an 8.5 inch shock when its meant to have an 8.75 inch shock, its gay as having the head angle slacker and less travel, coz when the head angle slackens, the plushness of the fork decreases. Im trying to look for a second hand 8.75 shock. Why would you want to put a smaller shock in it, it seems very pointless...thats my opinion.

Last edited:

Regan

Eats Squid
Yes, I can be done. I put an 8.75" DHX in my sisters 06 DH Comp and it works sweet as. It slackens off the head angle a bit but it all works with no problems. Your seat will probably contact the tyre if not lifted a little more though...