Suoer squeaky vee brakes

Got myself a new trials bike and first ride yesterday the back brakes are SUPER LOUD and squeaky.
And i mean, like people were blocking their ears when they heard it.

Is this normal?
This is my first trials bike.

Its a ONZA Limey 26"

Ta

danthebloke

Likes Dirt
i had mine done at the shop before pick up, i dont think its that hard to do,but there is a right and wrong way to everything so go easy .
cheers
oh yeah ,have fun on it.

Lilley

Likes Dirt
Yes your brakes should be super noisy. What is most important is that they work.

If you aren't getting the lock you need then maybe a fresh grind is in order. Sounds like you found the link already but if not:

[video=youtube;8m1olQsOjPo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m1olQsOjPo&list=UUuBggsDVFQRvNbFiE__m_iA&index=25&feature=plcp[/video]

ogjon

Likes Dirt
Yes your brakes should be super noisy. What is most important is that they work.

If you aren't getting the lock you need then maybe a fresh grind is in order. Sounds like you found the link already but if not:

[video=youtube;8m1olQsOjPo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m1olQsOjPo&list=UUuBggsDVFQRvNbFiE__m_iA&index=25&feature=plcp[/video]
I did mine the same way as in the vid on my echo pure street

Mickyz

Squid
Super squeaky vee brakes

Spend the five minutes extra and take the Tyre off the rim, You can get a much better grind, plus there is no chance of nicking the tyre.
Don,t worry about the noise, if they stop when you want them too, thats all that counts.

Lilley

Likes Dirt
Spend the five minutes extra and take the Tyre off the rim, You can get a much better grind, plus there is no chance of nicking the tyre.
Don,t worry about the noise, if they stop when you want them too, thats all that counts.
Actually many of us choose to leave the tyre on the rim. When you put the tyre back on after grinding the inside of the tyre tends to contaminate your grind and reduces the effectiveness of your brake. Yes it is being pedantic but if you are looking to get the best possible performance then leave the tyre on.

ok so i ground the rim, but still noisy.
If ya reckon its fine then i'm not worried.

But its like so freakin loud, people stop in their tracks when they see/hear me coming!!

I wouldn't mind the attention if i had a bit of skill, but i'm still learning ya know!!

Lilley

Likes Dirt
ok so i ground the rim, but still noisy.
If ya reckon its fine then i'm not worried.

But its like so freakin loud, people stop in their tracks when they see/hear me coming!!

I wouldn't mind the attention if i had a bit of skill, but i'm still learning ya know!!
Sorry I think this thread got a little confusing.

Grinding the rim is what makes the brakes noisy. It is perfectly normal. Try not to use the rear brake when just cruising between riding spots, your front disc will slow you down plenty and using the rear brake to slow down will wear the pads out fast.

theallcreator

Likes Bikes
My rim grind actually made my brakes quieter. After I gave them a good grind, the brakes locked up faster, and eliminated the squeaking sound of a smooth rim.

tidlibit

Likes Dirt
ive heard of bmx kids putting windex cola ect on there rims to make it more noisy. is there something that would work in reverse without affecting performance?

Lilley

Likes Dirt
ive heard of bmx kids putting windex cola ect on there rims to make it more noisy. is there something that would work in reverse without affecting performance?
No. Would be a pretty awesome substance if there was :)

As theallcreator pointed out though a grind can make the brake quieter then trials pads on a smooth rim or a light grind because the brake slips less. You still get a noise but it is shorter and sharper so arguably less annoying. Making sure a brake is setup as well as possible, nice stiff booster, pads hitting the rim evenly will also help in this regard.

so, as time goes on, my back brake was getting more and more movement in the lever.
Take to LBS for bleed, and low and behold, its no longer squeeky when i get her back.

Now riding hard for about one week and suddenly, its freaking massive squeaky again.

Really weird.
Anyway, getting better now so not that concerned with the noise, its just weird it comes and goes.

The noise should be coming when you lock up your rear brake, it's a good sign that your brake is grabbing properly against the rim, your on and off squeaking might be because the brake is grabbing different parts of the rim, if your braking performance ever gets dull just give it a fresh grind

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free