Suggest me a wheel set - '13 stumpy evo

rj-c

Squid
Hi all,

I'm looking at doing a few upgrades to a stock '13 stumpy evo. I so far have ordered a 50mm stem and Easton carbon bars and have read that a better wheel set is a good bang for your buck upgrade.

The more reviews I read the more confused I get so any info would be great. Is it worth doing? If so what are some suggestions for wheels. Ideally under $800 but will consider others if it is worth it.

Thanks

Ryan

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Which stumpy evo? There's a few in both hard and soft arse, 26 or 29. What you have and how you intend to use it makes a difference...

Chil

Likes Dirt
Why not just use the current wheel set you have until you wreck them? Roval wheels are probably the most underrated wheel sets around.

They use standard spokes so easy to repair, can be made tubeless. More positives than negatives I think.

Last edited:

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There's a set of Crossmax SLRs for sale in the trading section for $450 i think. Hot wheels, super light, but maybe not strong enough for what you are doing.

XYGTHO

Likes Dirt
Maybe get a set with cassette rotors etc. Keep your current wheels for the downhill and put your newer lighter wheelset on for general XC, trail and all mountain rdiding. You can put the tyres to suit on each wheel set then.

Capt.Gumby

Likes Dirt
I have the 2012 26in stumpy comp and just went through the same process. My Roval rims seemed to ding easily and had to be trued a few times. Wanted something stronger so ended up getting a set of the new shimano MT 68 all mountain wheelset (2013 SLX Wheels) Had them for a few months now and so far they have been great. Comes set up tubeless ready with stems and rim tape already installed. Cheap too!!!

cameron_15

Eats Squid
I have some 2012 Crossmax ST's for sale. Excellent/perfect condition with 4 top spec tyres for $550 plus postage....

rj-c

Squid
Thanks for everyone's input.... Stans/hope setup seems to be the go from the reviews I have read and the value for $$.

Does anyone have any idea what the stock wheel set weighs compared to the above tubeless setup?

moorey

call me Mia
Thanks for everyone's input.... Stans/hope setup seems to be the go from the reviews I have read and the value for $$.

Does anyone have any idea what the stock wheel set weighs compared to the above tubeless setup?
No, but FWIW, someone who has bought hoops from both CRC and Wiggle tells me that the CRC built ones are lighter due to the spokes used. CRC are a tad dearer, and I wanted a set of Flows for the AM bike, so a few grams extra on the wiggle ones didn't faze me.

BM Epic

Eats Squid
Be very careful, my 2011 evo had 27 hole front, rovals, i went chris king heavy duty, and mavic 819, great wheelset, but out of this world hubs!