Stripped threads. RockShox SID. Update, Success!

Science

Likes Dirt
An unfortunate incident has resulted in the brake bolt holes on my 2010 SIDs being stripped of their threads. As such, I can't refit my brakes.
What's the best way to go about getting a new thread in there? Do helicoils come that small?
Would you helicoil it or just tap the bore to suit a larger bolt and drill out the caliper and spacer to suit?
Will I just have to get new lowers?

Last edited:

merc-blue

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Helicoil. Its worth getting it helicoiled properly by someone like Grip. if its not drilled square for it you will have endless issues

ADD

Likes Dirt
An unfortunate incident has resulted in the brake bolt holes on my 2010 SIDs being stripped of their threads. As such, I can't refit my brakes.
What's the best way to go about getting a new thread in there? Do helicoils come that small?
Would you helicoil it or just tap the bore to suit a larger bolt and drill out the caliper and spacer to suit?
Will I just have to get new lowers?
Man this happens to rockshox stuff all the time. What is it with their threads? I had it happen to a cheap set of recon's but I just found a longer bolt and fit an extra spacer or 2. Wouldn't recommend it unless you don't care much about em.

Shredden

Knows his goats
Man this happens to rockshox stuff all the time. What is it with their threads? I had it happen to a cheap set of recon's but I just found a longer bolt and fit an extra spacer or 2. Wouldn't recommend it unless you don't care much about em.
Yeah IS for the win.

Loneryda

Likes Bikes
Either a heli-coil m6 or a thread insert, I've done it to nearly all my forks at 1 time or another If you do the recoil don't drill it just stick the tap straight in and besure you start it nice and square. If you wreck that then get an insert they're brilliant from any bearing or bolt place.

Science

Likes Dirt
::update::

After deciding there wasn't enough material to safely drill the 6mm hole out to 8mm in order to helicoil for the fork, I went to the bolt shop and bought 2 M7 35x1.0 bolts and carefully tapped a new, larger thread into the fork.
I also had to bore out the mounting hardware (spacers ect) and the caliper to suit the slightly larger bolt.
Time will tell if the repair holds, but it's looking pretty good.

TOTAL REPAIR COST. $2.25