Stripped pedal inserts

wtr

Likes Dirt
Half way from riding home from work, suddently noticed the pedal was severly out of alignment. Then it came to me that 1/5th of the pedal has came undone and worn some thread on the crank's pedal insert.

Now my question is: is it possible to machine the hole just enough to have a new thread pressed into it? Or find a long enough pedal axle to have just a little bit of the axle exposed on the backside of the crank and lock it with a nut?

Otherwise I'll have to sell the bb and look elsewhere.

Thanks.

Christo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No need to get anything new.

Most bike shops can replace the pedal thread for you, they do it by tapping a new, larger thread in there & then screwing a steel thread in the larger thread.

I've seen it done plenty of times although never ridden on a repaired thread myself - I imagine it's a strong bond, it seems to work well enough?

Anyone else had this done? Did it work well/hold up to abuse?

tanlicouz

Likes Dirt
WTR.... how did you do that???

And yes retapping is awesome and in some cases it even makes it stronger so ive heard.

j5ive

Jonny Sprockets Bike Shop
Its a helicoil. There seems to be a few types around. Some much thicker in size, some quite small and spring like. Best bet is the thicker size if you can find them, combine with a pedal washer and you will have a nice fit- stonger than the original.

Speaking of these, anyone in the know as to who supplies such coils, as we are just about out and I cant seem to find anyone who supplies them?

manny24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
the fellaz at pushi will be able to do it for you no probs mate. they keep a stock of em in stock, as its a relatively common job em.
and as j5ive said, use pedal washers, they only cost a few bucks.
cheers