Stripped bolt on disc brakes?

c0de

Likes Bikes
I was trying to use my new torque wrench to tighten the 3mm allan key bolt which holds the disc brake pads into my tektro auriga comp calipers (i think i must have not done it right as it seems like the bolts are now stripped). The bolt keeps turning in the socket no matter which way i try to turn it and i cant pull it out with pliers either since i think there is a bit of thread still on the other side which is in there.

Any ideas of getting it out? and do you think I will be able to find a suitable replacement bolt at bunnings or something?

it seems pretty stupid now trying to learn how to use a clicker torque wrench on something like this - i've learnt my lesson, but i sent the dial to 2nM (clearly my wrench is a piece of crap)!

leftykonashred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
happened to me too mate

my mums boyfriend got this thing from bunnings
not sure what its called

i think it's stripped screw remover anyway they look like drill bits but you screw them in there are teeth that get caught in the bolt and then you twist it out ask them at bunnings or anywhere like that

hope it helps

lefty

dhDRucer

Likes Dirt
i once cut a bolt with a umm...small thing that does the same thing as a grinder? Anyways it had a small cutting wheel on it and just got a small slit out and used a flat head screwdriver. Or cut 2 slits and use a philips head

68deluxe

Likes Bikes
Any ideas of getting it out? and do you think I will be able to find a suitable replacement bolt at bunnings or something?
depends on if the bolts stripped, or the thread in the caliper is stripped. if the caliper is stripped it's a little harder. not sure if people use helicoils on bike brakes at all but it's a possibility. might have to tap and re-thread at the next bolt size up.

to remove it, have you tried pushing at the back of the screw as you try to unscrew it?

my mums boyfriend got this thing from bunnings
not sure what its called
ezy-out...

i once cut a bolt with a umm...small thing that does the same thing as a grinder?
dremel...

:D

Last edited:

c0de

Likes Bikes
depends on if the bolts stripped, or the thread in the caliper is stripped. if the caliper is stripped it's a little harder. not sure if people use helicoils on bike brakes at all but it's a possibility. might have to tap and re-thread at the next bolt size up.

to remove it, have you tried pushing at the back of the screw as you try to unscrew it?

ezy-out...

dremel...

:D
Thanks for the tips guys, I did try using another pin to push as i unwinded but it just turns in the socket and doesnt move anywhere.

Yeah at the moment i dont know if its the actual caliper which is stripped itself or the bolt itself (i assumed bolt since its probably the softer metal)

how much is that ezy out thing? dremels are like a hundred bucks from memory? might as well buy a new set of avid elixir brakes lol

c0de

Likes Bikes
actually from what the later people were posting, i havent rounded the allan key socket, i think the threads on the screw have come off the bolt, so i can turn the allan key, it just keeps rotating the bolt around and it doesnt tighten or loosen anymore

DownhillerDeano

Doesn't want a custom title!
Thanks for the tips guys, I did try using another pin to push as i unwinded but it just turns in the socket and doesnt move anywhere.
What do you mean by socket? The female thread i'm assuming? If so, and the bolt is stripped, it should just pull straight out

how much is that ezy out thing? dremels are like a hundred bucks from memory? might as well buy a new set of avid elixir brakes lol
Easy out's come in a pack of a range of sizes, and like everything, pay for what you get, there is cheap ones, there is expensive ones.

Don't necessarily need a dremel, a hacksaw could be used to cut a slot or if your patient and catious even a file if you really had to.

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
From what I can gather you have used an allen key instead of a torx one (similar thing but different number of sides).
So I'm thinking you have rounded out the bolts (the bolt heads).

I did this once even having used the proper torx tool, tried to use a screwdriver but in the end what worked for me was to get a drill with a drill bit as big as the allen bolt head, you drill the head away and the remaining bolt sticking out can be unscrewed with pliers. Of course you have to excercise some caution not to drill too far and potentially into your rotor or something.

If you do a search you will probably come across other threads where people have had the very same issue, it seems pretty common.

Oh yeah I know I'd be pretty weary of buying a wheel (or set) that had a rotor included for free:D No I've never done it, but I've seen ads a few times and the first thing that comes to mind is that someone couldn't get the rotor off!!!

c0de

Likes Bikes
What do you mean by socket? The female thread i'm assuming? If so, and the bolt is stripped, it should just pull straight out
I'm thinking of getting a drill and drilling off the end, its definitely an allan key bolt (it holds the brake pads, in the caliper - not talking about the rotor which is torx 25 bolts)

And you would think that it should pull straight out if the threads on the screw thing have worn off, but the thing is the threads go a bit further than what are in the female caliper socket thing, so i think the threads in the middle are stuffed, but there is about 2-3mm on the other side of the allan bolt head which means i cant pull it out!

problem will be finding a replacement to put back in, so i might have to visit bunnings to see if i can find some 3mm diameter threaded bolts with an allan key socket on the end before i try to drill these off.

The brakes are working ok at the moment, but the front pads seem contaminated since they slip slightly even with maximum gripping on the levers.

DownhillerDeano

Doesn't want a custom title!
problem will be finding a replacement to put back in, so i might have to visit bunnings to see if i can find some 3mm diameter threaded bolts with an allan key socket on the end before i try to drill these off.
No, you'll have better luck at a dedicated bolts/fasteners shop;), be cheaper too.

Autumn_Leaves

Likes Dirt
I was trying to use my new torque wrench to tighten the 3mm allan key bolt which holds the disc brake pads into my tektro auriga comp calipers (i think i must have not done it right as it seems like the bolts are now stripped). The bolt keeps turning in the socket no matter which way i try to turn it and i cant pull it out with pliers either since i think there is a bit of thread still on the other side which is in there.

it seems pretty stupid now trying to learn how to use a clicker torque wrench on something like this - i've learnt my lesson, but i sent the dial to 2nM (clearly my wrench is a piece of crap)!
After reading this thred might be a good idea if you just take it to your LBS, If you dont know what your doing might be beter to take it to some one who does.