Storing bikes on balcony.

Giantrider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi team,

just moved into an apartment, and the only place secure and freely available for storage of my roadie and MTB is on the balcony.

Previous threads haven't really provided any substance on this issue of storage outside as far as I can find - what are your thoughts/ solutions?

We have windscreens in place on the balcony, but the water is certainly an issue. Will a tarp work? Or should I make a small shed?

If I get time I'll upload some photos.

Regards,

Hamish

Mrlinderman

Likes Dirt
I wouldn't be leaving it out in rain for extended periods, if its a small balcony a tarp should be fine jut tie it to the outside of the rail and drape it over the bikes

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
A small bike shed would be most weather proof. But the potential for excessive heat should be considered. Perhaps an exhaust vent would be needed.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Put the washing machine and drier on the balcony and store your bikes in the laundry!

Problem with outdoors is that the daily heating, nightly cooling, humidity & condensation isn't going to do your bikes any good at all. Perhaps try applying a bit of 303 Aerospace Protectant to your bikes post cleaning to help resist the elements when in storage. That stuff does wonders for your car too, keeps all the unpainted mouldings and rubber looking primo.

stirk

Burner
Can thieves get to the balcony from the street such a terrace balcony? Lost two bikes this way.

Besides what's wrong with your bedroom? Could make interesting sex props!

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Besides what's wrong with your bedroom?
This is all good for the single dude, a hard act to sell when co-habitating.

Also, I'm assuming you're either living with a partner or have a single bedroom apartment. If one was to be hardcore about bikes, one would shell out for an extra bedroom to store them!

Last edited:

UncleFeet

Likes Dirt
Balcony, fine. Never, ever EVER even think of storing it in an apartment block's "secure lock up". Ever.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I knew some drug addicts who were squatting in a nurses dorm at a hospital. The room was small, wouldn't have been wide enough for a queen sized bed. They (4 dudes) had a single bed and the floor covered in bags of clothes from Vinnie's. There was a stereo and the insides of an upright piano. They drilled hooks into the ceiling and hang all their bikes from the ceiling by the wheels. Eventually they were caught stealing food from the hospital kitchen and kicked out.

You could hang your bikes from the ceiling...or against the wall. There are racks to do these things.

JimL

Squid
I reckon if you are planning on living there for a while and are pretty handy on the tools then make yourself a small shed with some kind of exhaust fan. It would only need to be just big enough to fit a couple of bikes.
Maybe chuck one of those refillable moisture buckets in there. That will probably be the best compromise. It will also look a lot neater than a tarp.

Giantrider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for all the input!

I wouldn't be leaving it out in rain for extended periods, if its a small balcony a tarp should be fine jut tie it to the outside of the rail and drape it over the bikes
As I had said, the balcony has wind breakers so it'll keep the majority of the rain away. It's a rectangular balcony with 2 walls that are about 1.4m, and the bikes are perpendicular to the door.

I've attached a tarp to the front of the bikes which will keep the rain off. If it's windy then it could be a different story. I'll report back.

A small bike shed would be most weather proof. But the potential for excessive heat should be considered. Perhaps an exhaust vent would be needed.
I am investigating this. I think I'd probably build a wooden box with a ventilation fan/ those spinning things you see on vans.

Put the washing machine and drier on the balcony and store your bikes in the laundry!

Problem with outdoors is that the daily heating, nightly cooling, humidity & condensation isn't going to do your bikes any good at all. Perhaps try applying a bit of 303 Aerospace Protectant to your bikes post cleaning to help resist the elements when in storage. That stuff does wonders for your car too, keeps all the unpainted mouldings and rubber looking primo.
Haha - the wife would love that!

Yeah, that will be a problem. As I have said in reply above, I think a box will be in order. I'll see how the first few months go.

Can thieves get to the balcony from the street such a terrace balcony? Lost two bikes this way.

Besides what's wrong with your bedroom? Could make interesting sex props!
Showed the sex props comment to my wife and she questioned why I like this forum! Ha! Wasn't good for my efforts to convince her to get a bike...

As for thieves, the bikes can't be seen from the road as the balcony has solid 1.4m walls. If they really wanted to get up there they could, but I don't see how'd they get down. It's probably a 3-4m drop to the apartment below. It'd be too much effort, or maybe I'm just lazy and thieves sometimes need more credit for their efforts.

This is all good for the single dude, a hard act to sell when co-habitating.

Also, I'm assuming you're either living with a partner or have a single bedroom apartment. If one was to be hardcore about bikes, one would shell out for an extra bedroom to store them!
Further to the above which you reply too - yes I'm living with my partner. I think i should just drop the coin on her to get a bike and surprise her with it.

Balcony, fine. Never, ever EVER even think of storing it in an apartment block's "secure lock up". Ever.
Noted. I've read the stolen forum with this exact issue to many times..

I knew some drug addicts who were squatting in a nurses dorm at a hospital. The room was small, wouldn't have been wide enough for a queen sized bed. They (4 dudes) had a single bed and the floor covered in bags of clothes from Vinnie's. There was a stereo and the insides of an upright piano. They drilled hooks into the ceiling and hang all their bikes from the ceiling by the wheels. Eventually they were caught stealing food from the hospital kitchen and kicked out.

You could hang your bikes from the ceiling...or against the wall. There are racks to do these things.
If I wasn't renting this would actually be a viable option. It's a smart idea as we have quite tall ceilings in our apartment.

-------------

I'll try and upload a photo for people to look at. And if I decide to build a box I'll get a thread going. If there are other suggestions of what people do, please let me know!

Cheers,

H

I have some racks that don't require any attachment to the ceiling - they just use tension against the floor and ceiling to stay upright, and they take 2 bikes (vertically).

poita

Likes Dirt
When I lived in an apartment with an awkward of shakes balcony I used a 321 blast off bike cover. Was the most weather proof I could find and slipped over the stands I had. Couldn't fit any sort of shed or upright rack on the balcony.

Giantrider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
When I lived in an apartment with an awkward of shakes balcony I used a 321 blast off bike cover. Was the most weather proof I could find and slipped over the stands I had. Couldn't fit any sort of shed or upright rack on the balcony.
How did the bikes fair? Slash... What sort of time period were they stored on the balcony for?

I'm worried my bikes will have non-sexy rusty bolts and gearing...
:sick: